Any tips on purchasing Penta 3?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

scottydog
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
scottydog posted on Tue, Feb 9 2021 8:49 PM

Brand new member here so apologies if this has been covered already (I searched the archives but didn't find anything...)

There is a set of Penta Mk3 speakers up for sale locally that I'm interested in buying. What I'd like to get from anyone here are tips on what to look for when I check out the speakers. I'm aware of the foam rot issue and I think if the indicator light is orange that is bad...anything else I should pay attention to? Any potential "red flags" that might show up during the audition? And perhaps, how easy/costs to fix those issues?

I'm afraid that once I see them, I'll fall in love and throw all my money at them without doing some homework first. The speakers are model 6631 (*an earlier post said they were model 6623...I've edited to show the correct number)  and I'll be connecting them to my Beomaster 7000 receiver.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Scott

All Replies

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,494 Posts
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 6:16 AM

I have no personal experience of these much loved speakers but you have to remember they might be new to you but they are now an old speaker in terms of years. I can only suggest looking and listening to them. You should ask have they been refurbished or repaired. I think you need to be prepared to have some work done on these speakers further down the road. 

Good luck with these classic speakers.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,841 Posts
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 10:29 AM

scottydog:

The speakers are model 6623 and I'll be connecting them to my Beomaster 7000 receiver.

The 662x are mark 2 and not mark 3. Mk3's has 663x as type number. The mk3 has the green coloured displays and the mk2 has the LCD amber coloured display. There is a price difference between them. The mk3 has two different tweeters used. The first one with a smooth dome surface, whereas the the later mk3 version has a kind of "cloth" dome. The second version gives more treble than the first one (which is also used in mk1 and mk2's)  

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,149 Posts
Bronze Member
Make sure it has all the surround copper coloured plastic strips (between the metal and the fabric)

Make sure it has the plastic cover in front of the display.

scottydog
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

OK so I was wrong with the model number (I think I pulled it from a discussion I had withthe seller). The model of the ones I'm looking at are 6631 so that should put them as mk3s, correct? 

I'll check for the different tweeters. That's good to know!

Cheers, Scott

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
294 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello,

the Pentas are great speakers - period!

And they're still a good buy and a good value for money.

In Germany second hand Pentas cost around 250 - 300 €. New surounds cost around 50,--€.

I mean these speakers are easy to refurbish. You can't say that about modern speakers (Beloab 50ies for example).

Best regards Chris

scottydog
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

I bought them!! They were in great shape, mid-range surrounds had very little foam rot, "cloth" dome tweeters, all copper strips intact, maybe a few minor dents that I'm not going to worry about.

A couple of things though....the door flaps on both the amplifiers won't close. I'm assuming the latch is broken, how easy is this to fix? I found a replacement latch on the beoparts website but I have no idea how to install it.

Also, the stainless steel trim piece at the bottom back of one of the speakers is missing. Is a replacement piece easy to track down? I've seen a lot of replacement copper strips but no stainless steel strips. It's at the back so only I know it's not there.

Finally, is it ok to leave these speakers on standby (red light on) when they're not in use? Or should I turn them off completely until I need them?

Did I mention they sound GREAT??!!

Thanks for any info, Scott

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,149 Posts
Bronze Member
Can you post a picture of the midranges?

It is highly unlikely that they don’t have rot. They will sound MUCH better if you change the foam rings.

And hey,

Welcome to the club Big Smile
scottydog
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Here they are. The top ones have a small hole around four o'clock and one of the bottom ones has a small hole. The surrounds themselves don't feel sticky and are flexible. Not sure what the little "dots" are...is that foam rot? Do they look ok?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,149 Posts
Bronze Member
They are completely rotten and useless. They should be replaced. It is well worth it.

I you think they sound good now, just wait until after Wink

scottydog
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Really? Dang, I was hoping to get a bit of time out of the speakers before tackling that. Ok no worries, I knew it had to be done sooner or later. Any recommendations where to get new foams in Canada? Or do they only come from Europe? (I want the "good" ones Smile)

BTW...thanks for all the help!

scottydog
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Really? Dang, I was hoping to get a bit of time out of the speakers before tackling that. Ok no worries, I knew it had to be done sooner or later. Any recommendations where to get new foams in Canada? Or do they only come from Europe? (I want the "good" ones Smile)

BTW...thanks for all the help!

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,841 Posts
Founder

Stereomensch:

I mean these speakers are easy to refurbish.

A word of caution might be in place here.

I've had the past few weeks at least 2 customers who recapped their amplifers and ended on both with blown outputstages, due to bad soldering with floating and broken traces.Totally neglected other serious issues as they weren't capable of recognizing them.

Others think they think they can refoam their mids and as result have scrapings or have resonating (around 1 khz) sounds on one or several units.

So, a bit of experience is required.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL