Beosound 2 - Roon RAAT question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 2 Followers

caipiao
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
caipiao posted on Sun, Feb 7 2021 12:20 PM

Has anyone here tried connecting a Roon bridge to the line-in of Beosound 2 to make it Roon RAAT compatible?

Love the look of Beosound 2 but not Roon Ready is a shame as all my other end points are RAAT compatible and capable of hi-res streaming so wondering if a Roon bridge such as Bluesound Node 2i would work well with Beosound 2. Like the one box solution of Node 2i but Pi based streamer could work too? Any quirks in the implementation of line-in on the Beosound 2 side to take note of etc.? 

Thanks in advance all

All Replies

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,572 Posts
Bronze Member

caipiao:
Has anyone here tried connecting a Roon bridge to the line-in of Beosound 2 to make it Roon RAAT compatible?

Love the look of Beosound 2 but not Roon Ready is a shame as all my other end points are RAAT compatible and capable of hi-res streaming so wondering if a Roon bridge such as Bluesound Node 2i would work well with Beosound 2. Like the one box solution of Node 2i but Pi based streamer could work too? Any quirks in the implementation of line-in on the Beosound 2 side to take note of etc.? 

Thanks in advance all

Try CC on your BS2. That would be the easiest way.

caipiao
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks - may indeed be a solution. Downside is that as Chromecast end point it cannot group with any other zones nearby. Hence the question on a Roon Bridge connected to the line-in. 

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,572 Posts
Bronze Member
caipiao:

Thanks - may indeed be a solution. Downside is that as Chromecast end point it cannot group with any other zones nearby. Hence the question on a Roon Bridge connected to the line-in.

cheap solution: Pi with Hifiberry hat. Connect spdiff or rca to the BS2

Audio
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
Audio replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 8:01 PM

It would be really great if B&O would offer Roon RAAT / Roon ready!

caipiao
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Yep - have a Digi+ Pro for that. Needs a small power supply (won’t be too clean but most should work). Question is then whether it all works on the BS2 side, ie no quirks such as having to push a button somewhere to change audio source, or playback somehow not gapless, etc., before I go out and find a BS2 (on the cheap)?

caipiao
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Yep - have a Digi+ Pro for that. Needs a small power supply (won’t be too clean but most should work). Question is then whether it all works on the BS2 side, ie no quirks such as having to push a button somewhere to change audio source, or playback somehow not gapless, etc., before I go out and find a BS2 (on the cheap)?

caipiao
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Can’t agree more...

caipiao
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Can't agree more

caipiao
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Can't agree more... 

(had replied earlier but the mobile browser seemed to be playing up...hmmm)

caipiao
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Think I found the answer to my questions from the other topic 'Roon'  - thanks a lot @Ulrike

Essence: need a DAC rather than a streamer since BS2 has only analog in (!)

From @Ulrike

Regarding your question, it depends.

The BS2 has neither a digital nor a usb, only an analog via cinch mini jack input, unfortunately.
So it is not possible to feed a digital signal like RAAT from a Roon Bridge via Spdif, which is then processed by the DAC of the BS2 and played back. With many other speakers no problem, just connect a Roon Bridge, e.g. a Raspberry Pi with a HAT, via spdif or optical out to a speaker, then the internal dac of the speaker processes the RAAT signal.
So for the BS2, or the A6 as well, you need an external DAC, because it only accepts analog signals.
I tried all day yesterday, rearranged and compared, and have now completely switched everything in the house from Chromecast to RAAT. Next I have set up different zones for Roon, which is no issue with Roon Ready devices, which now play in perfect sync quite like Chromecast groups.
I have a Bluesound Node 2i, to which now the BS2 is connected as well as a TV via optical for Roon.
I made a comparison - an older but quite good Denon DAC with the same cable on the BS2 sounded better than the Node, the DAC is obviously crucial here for the sound.
Everything is now arranged in such a way that Chromecast can still be used as a fallback if necessary. Who knows ... :)

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
174 Posts
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 11:55 PM

caipiao:

Think I found the answer to my questions from the other topic 'Roon'  - thanks a lot @Ulrike

Essence: need a DAC rather than a streamer since BS2 has only analog in (!)

Heads up ...
there are quite a few things to consider!

The BS2 has only a line-in input, so the problem already starts. Unfortunately, this input also creates a delay that can be minimized, but not completely eliminated.
As part of a RAAT zone only to use if not in direct listening distance of simultaneously playing speakers. :(
Then I'm not sure if the signal is not possibly forwarded twice ... for lack of optical or spdif connections it's not possible to bypass the dac of the Bluesound node or another :(
The signal from the node is converted and fed analog into the BS2, but then - what happens ...?
I think it's possible that the dac of the BS2 also does some processing, at least it sounds like that, flat, without color and depth, a clear deterioration. Other speakers connected to the node are sounding better.
A better dac than the node may give better results, but well, the dac I have for my main system costs more than the whole beosound itself. It has to stop somewhere.

You can use a Raspi with spdif or optical HAT, but you won't get the signal into the BS2.
You will need a dac again :(

I'm attached to my BS2 because of its sculptural qualities and love to look at it, right now, here in front of me at its usual place.
That's it.

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
174 Posts
Bronze Member

caipiao:

Thanks in advance all

Okay, I was obviously jumping the gun. Because with Roon, not with the BS2, is quite a bit more possible than I knew so far :)
In the Zone settings, see screenshots, it is possible to compensate the delay completely.
And after some trial and error with the DSP settings for the node, I now realize that I can also change the sound of the BS2 to my liking.
How great!
I had never tried this before.
I love Roon .. :)))

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
174 Posts
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 8:57 AM

caipiao:

Thanks in advance all

In the meantime, I am extremely satisfied with this solution!

Many times better than Chromecast in terms of sound, and finally working reliably, without the constant bugs and quirks that forced me to restart my entire network again and again. And really, the overall sound has gotten so much better, I can confidently recommend this solution.

JP2021
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
JP2021 replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 9:27 AM

Thank you, sounds promising!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL