Questions/Advice from Beolab 50 Owners

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 60 Replies | 3 Followers

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoJosh posted on Thu, Jan 28 2021 1:12 AM

Sorry for the long post, but I’d love some advice from Beolab 50 owners. In my living room, I have a Harmony 77 with 2 pairs of 18s and a 19 for surround sound and music. I love the setup and have no complaints, but after recently auditioning the Beolab 90s and 50s, I can’t get them out of my mind. I don’t have the room (or the budget) for the 90s, but I could potentially make the 50s work as the front left and right, and move that pair of 18s (and the 19) elsewhere in our home. 

I’d be sold already if it wasn’t for the layout of our living room. It isn’t typical, in that the sofas are parallel to each other—and perpendicular to the Harmony on one wall and the fireplace on the opposite wall—so there is no real sweet spot. For my music setting, I have the surrounds set to left and right, inverted from the left and right fronts, so no matter which sofa you’re on you have nice stereo imaging.

My dilemma has been that in my limited experience with them, and in everything I’ve read here, the 50s really shine in narrow mode—which doesn’t seem all that useful to me without a sweet spot. Therefore, I think I’d really only have the 50s in wide mode. My dealer says the room calibration alone is worth the upgrade, but given the investment it seems like a lot of money for a pair of speakers that I can’t take full advantage of. It’s like buying a sports car, but only driving under the speed limit. (And I like to drive fast.)

So my questions to owners of the 50s are a) Do you think the 50s in this scenario used exclusively in wide mode is enough of an improvement over my current setup to justify the money—and if so, why? And b) If yes, would you use the 50s on their own for music, or keep them in the same setup with the surround 18s where I have them as inverted L/R.

Thanks for reading—and the advice!

All Replies

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoJosh replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 11:08 PM

Thanks, John--this is very helpful. I can't wait for the speakers to arrive and to experiment with all the modes--most of all "super-selfish" mode!

And thanks for your videos--they're always fun to watch, and have been really helpful to me, especially as we were building and outfitting our new home during the pandemic and couldn't audition all the B&O equipment in person.

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Thu, Feb 11 2021 10:02 AM

Many congratulations on the 50s - you will love them :-)

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Netherlands
617 Posts
Gold Member
BeoJosh:

Thanks! I was very tempted by the Golden edition, which I could've had sooner, but ultimately went with the brass/smoked oak that matches the other B&O products throughout our home. I wish I could have them sooner, but I'm told early April delivery was the first available unsold 50 for this particular finish.

Congratulations! Good taste to go for the brass/smoked oak. I’m one of the few who prefers this finish above all. It blends in so nicely in my interior. Please share a picture when the 50’s has been set up

BV Eclipse 55 Brass - BL 18 Brass - BL 19 Brass - BL17 Black - BL 3 White - BS Moment - BS 2 Brass - BV Horizon 48 - BS3000 - BS 3200 - BS Essence MK2 - BL 4000 - V1 40 Black - V1 40 White - BLC NL/ML - H6 -  H4 - E8 Motion - A8 Earphone - Beolit 12 - Beolit 15 - Beoplay A1 Green - Beoplay A3 White

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
617 Posts
Bronze Member
I’d say that you should try installing them facing forward (don’t toe-in), calibrate the distances, levels, and ARC correctly to wherever you want to sit, and then make two presets - one narrow and the other wide - abc use whichever you prefer. It’s not perfect, but it’s not bad...

another option is to make a preset for a listening position that only exists when you temporarily put a chair there. You won’t be the only person who does this.Smile

Remember that the narrow mode isn’t a laser - it’s very forgiving... and there are added benefits like the bass time response that cons along for the ride...

cheers

- geoff
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,550 Posts
Bronze Member
Geoff Martin:

I’d say that you should try installing them facing forward (don’t toe-in), calibrate the distances, levels, and ARC correctly to wherever you want to sit, and then make two presets - one narrow and the other wide - abc use whichever you prefer. It’s not perfect, but it’s not bad...

another option is to make a preset for a listening position that only exists when you temporarily put a chair there. You won’t be the only person who does this.

Remember that the narrow mode isn’t a laser - it’s very forgiving... and there are added benefits like the bass time response that cons along for the ride...

cheers

- geoff

Shouldn’t they be toed in?

While you’re here, do you know why there has been so much strange issues with bass response on the later firmwares? I find it differs a lot every now and then and that they sometime sounds worse than even my eclipse soundcenter does. It’s very weird.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
617 Posts
Bronze Member

Michael:

Shouldn’t they be toed in?

If there's a listening position between the two speakers, then I would toe them in.

If there's not - then one has to compromise...

Cheers
-geoff

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks, Geoff! I am working to find a wife-approved solution for a permanent listening chair in exactly the perfect spot. Either way, I appreciate and will definitely take your advice. 

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,126 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Feb 16 2021 2:25 PM
Geoff Martin:

If there's a listening position between the two speakers, then I would toe them in.

Cheers -geoff

Thank you so much! This answers a question I have had since getting my 50s.

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,550 Posts
Bronze Member
Geoff Martin:

Cheers -geoff

Thanks, and sadly I guess the lack of response to the firmware means that there is an issue with it that can not be discussed? 😬🙈

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Martin
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
342 Posts
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Tue, Feb 16 2021 3:07 PM

Hi Michael, 

Are you saying that with the current sw 3.0.0.0616 there is an issue with the bass-response in the 50:s?

I have not experienced any problems with this software. There was a lot of problems with this issue with earlier software 3.0.0.0527 and some other 3.0.0.xxx - software versions. 

But current software 3.0.0.0616 is very solid regarding both stability in the speaker and sound quality both in narrow beam and wide beam. 

/Martin

Beovision Eclipse 65 with floorstand (from STB Brackets), Beolab 50 front, Beolab 3 rear, 2 x Beoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Beosound 5, Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K. Beoremote HALO (new), 3xBeoplay Charging pad, Beoplay M5 (new)

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,934 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Feb 16 2021 3:15 PM
I don’t have any issues with my 50’s and they’re on software version 616

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
298 Posts
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Tue, Feb 16 2021 5:44 PM
Martin:

Hi Michael,

Are you saying that with the current sw 3.0.0.0616 there is an issue with the bass-response in the 50:s?

I have not experienced any problems with this software. There was a lot of problems with this issue with earlier software 3.0.0.0527 and some other 3.0.0.xxx - software versions.

But current software 3.0.0.0616 is very solid regarding both stability in the speaker and sound quality both in narrow beam and wide beam.

/Martin

Beovision Eclipse 65 with floorstand (from STB Brackets), Beolab 50 front, Beolab 3 rear, 2 x Beoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Beosound 5, Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K. Beoremote HALO (new), 3xBeoplay Charging pad, Beoplay M5 (new)

I second that. Problem solved till they create new ones.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
454 Posts
Gold Member
Or. This is the final one, the one that solved all problems ;-)
VANTAGE
Not Ranked
74 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi all,

is it possible, when you have your Beolab 50s connected to an Eclipse TV, to play music through them directly without turning on the TV? Any particular app you have to use for that? Or do you need a Beosound Core maybe?

Thanks!

Beovision Eclipse 65" v1 - 2 x BL50 - 2 x BL17 - 2 x BS2 (GVA) - H9i

McIntosh MC601 x 2 - McIntosh C50 - McIntosh D1100 -  McIntosh MHP1000 - Focal Scala V2 Utopia - McIntosh McAire

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,824 Posts
Gold Member
Michael:

Thanks, and sadly I guess the lack of response to the firmware means that there is an issue with it that can not be discussed? 😬🙈 Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)

Or Geoff isn’t the one writing (all) the softwareStick out tongue

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Page 2 of 5 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL