rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Poly
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Bronze Member
Poly posted on Tue, Jan 19 2021 8:33 PM

Hello,

I'm looking at upgrading my Beoplay S8 to a pair of 17's. My question is if it's an upgrade that's worth the money, seeing as both Beoplay S8 and Beolab 17 consists of 2x 'treble units'. Then there's the 2x 6" bass units compared to the subwoofer from the S8 (which I imagine delivers even better bass than the 17's). I would love to hear from someone who have heard or have had both, if the 17's are that much better than the S8. I have a Beoremote One BT and a Beosound Core already, which are paired with my S8's. When I spoke to my local B&O dealer, he said that the 17's was a massive flop for B&O, but he didn't get into details about why. Upgrading would cost me roughly 2900$ or 2400€, and that's if I can sell my S8's without a connection hub or a core for 750$ ish. I don't have a B&O tv, nor am I going to buy one, and so I won't be using the WiSA technology. My living room is about 25 squaremeters.

Poly

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,099 Posts
Bronze Member

Hard to say - without hering both in your own room.

As good as the BL17’s are, personally I would not sell the S8 set and invest that much money.

(By the way, with a Beovision both sets together would make a very competent setup).

As for being ‘massive flop’, I am not so sure - however they by far haven’t sold as well as the BL4000’s, which they kind of replaced.

They are underrated - a lot here will agree with that.

You can be happy with either set - if it is worth the investment, you must know yourself.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

James1980
Not Ranked
73 Posts
Bronze Member

I’ve owned both and can confidently tell you that the differences are stark, from an audio and aesthetic point of view. My 17’s surprise me daily, and they have a pair of lab 9’s for competition in my house. You won’t be disappointed. 
no idea why they were a flop, price possibly, or perhaps their relative plainness in comparison to others in the line up. Anyway, I love mine, and won’t be swapping them anytime soon. The price seems steep, in comparison to the UK market anyway.  

Beovision 10, Beoplay V1, Beolab 17, Beolab 9, Beolab 4,  Beosound 2, Beosound Moment x 2,  Beoplay M3, Beogram 1700

Biatschi
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello Polly,

A few years ago, i asked myself the same question, my setup was also a beoplay s8 connected to a playmaker and thought about to change the s8 for a pair of beolab 17.

Now i have a 17's connected to a core, your are right that the s8 have better bass, but the 17's bass is also very good for there size and they are warm sounding speakers...

The midds are even better than compared to the s8 and i think the 17's are for listening to music, even the better choice. 

I also have connected a non bo tv to the core and the playmaker before, in my opinion for watching tv,  the s8 is a great solution.

In the end i like the 17's more,because for me listening to music is priority nr 1.

Poly
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Bronze Member
Poly replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 1:42 PM

Hi MM, thanks for your reply.

What I'm missing from my S8's are clarity and treble. I think the bass is overrepresented, and it's clear that they are meant to go with a Bang & Olufsen TV, and not be standalone speakers. It's just not possible to get a "cheap" Beovision with HDMI. I'm simply not willing to pay 5000€ for a 6 year old, outdated (picture quality and software wise) tv. 

Poly

Curly
Top 500 Contributor
FL, USA
224 Posts
Gold Member
Curly replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 7:22 PM

I thought the S8 set was actually intended to be used with a NON-B&O television, which is why it includes the S8 Connection Hub, whose purpose is to allow control of the volume with a non-B&O TV and remote.

If you don't like the sound, Poly, that's one thing and is perfectly fine. But if you dislike the sound, I don't believe it's because you're using the product incorrectly (if in fact you have the S8 speaker set connected to the S8 Connection Hub connected to a non-B&O TV).

FWIW, I have a pair of BL17 and I think the sound is ridiculously good. They sound far, far bigger than their size. They're nice looking--not as nice looking as BL18, but more affordable and much more full in the bass frequencies. I'm a huge fan.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Poly
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Bronze Member
Poly replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 8:06 PM

What you're saying is in some way wrong. The speakers originally sold without the Connection Hub, because they were intended to be used with a Bang & Olufsen TV, but B&O realized that not many people wanted 1200€ B&O speakers for their 7000€ B&O TV, which is why they were later introduced as a MK2 with a connection hub included (correct me if I'm wrong).

Poly
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Bronze Member
Poly replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 8:10 PM

Also my S8's are connected to a Core that's connected to my TV

Curly
Top 500 Contributor
FL, USA
224 Posts
Gold Member
Curly replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 8:26 PM

Ah, if the speakers initially sold without the Hub, then that’s news to me. Thanks for the correction.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
307 Posts
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 9:37 PM
Whatever, the s8 is not so good. The strange hisch from the connection hub and you hear where the sub is.

Beolab 17 is a better option.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,099 Posts
Bronze Member

Curly:

Ah, if the speakers initially sold without the Hub, then that’s news to me. Thanks for the correction.

The S8 set was originally sold as a set, that could be connected to any stereo/2 channel source....as well as to a Beovision.

The hub came with the version 2.

There was a version called Beolab 14 - as a .2, .4 or .5 configuration - the 14.4 was intended as a companion for a BV (the speakers there being the center channel. (This was white....)

As a curiousity, the S8/version1 had the amps for all the channels built-in - the version 2 did not.

When you compare the S8 set to a pair of the BL17’s, you should concider that  the original prize of the BL17’s is almost triple that of the S8.

As good as the BL17’s are (especially in a music listening situation), it will be a very personal decision, whether a rather costy upgrade is ‘worth the money’ or not.

Here is a presentation of the S8 version2 from John/ManchesterB&O: https://youtu.be/mRnKUKmJFZg

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Poly
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Bronze Member
Poly replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 11:48 PM

I don't doubt that the 17's are slightly better, and that's without having compared them myself. What I'm wondering is if it's an upgrade worth almost 2500€, seeing as the S8's and 17's are very similar in terms of specifications. What I would like is to hear from someone who has had both or have been able to compare them side by side. I mainly use my speakers for movies/series/music.

Poly

Poly
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Bronze Member
Poly replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 11:49 PM

I'm not using the Connection Hub. Please read my post before commenting. Also what do you mean by 'you hear where the sub is' ?

Poly

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL