rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 2 Followers

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member
matador43 posted on Thu, Jan 14 2021 2:22 PM

Hi guys,

Following that thread: https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/29572/327486.aspx#327486

I'm trying to bring a pristine Beosound 6 to life.
As far as I know the device should be seen if not as a mass storage, at least as unknown device on system report utilities whatever the platform. 

Here is where I am:
Tried on recent mac -> nothing.
Tried on old Mac (32 bits) -> nothing.
Tried on old PC (XP - 32 bits) -> nothing. 

Checked the cable, looks OK, fully wired and the very same the cables currently sold (on ebay still).

Have reset the device as service manual says -> nothing (in XP device manager)
Tried with Beoport software on XP32 -> nothing. 

So

can someone with a Beosound 6 tell me the behavior of the unit when plugged raw to whatever computer.
I believe it should show up as mass storage or at least appears in "Device Manager" on WIN or "system report" on Mac.

Appart from that the unit is working well, play, settings, screen, charging. So I believe I'm missing a little thing.

I don't have the CD or drivers but again, even without that it should appears as connected one way or the other, right ?

Hope you can help, it's a beautiful thing even if not much loved after what I read about it.

Thanks.

All Replies

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,361 Posts
Silver Member
How about some photo documentation of your pretty little thing?

How is the sound from it? What headphones are you using?

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Leo, I will do!

The sound is good. I mean I'm not that expert when it comes to evaluate sound quality but it doesn't sound "obviously" less good than the players I'm used to listen to (iPods, and iPhones).

For all my test I'm using a Sennheiser PX100 IIi but I've also tried it with the earset 3i. But I must say the later ones dont fit my ears very well.
And because I also have a Beosound 2 but only one pair of earset, I thought the Beosound 6 would fit better with a Form 2 should I really want to use it daily!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,361 Posts
Silver Member
I think a wonderful combination would’ve a pair of H6 Smile

I had a Beosound 2, but I never managed to get it to work with my Mac. Eventually gave up Sad

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,758 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Fri, Jan 29 2021 6:24 PM
matador43:
The thing is that being a Mac guy, those files are invisible when exploring them… from a Mac.

And even if I can setup virtual machines or use a special PC I have for Beo6 programming, it would not be a convenient solution for daily use.

Hello Smile

In order to show/hide files, here’s a simple (?) AZERTY keyboard shortcut (from https://www.youtips.com)

NB: on a QWERTY keyboard, you don’t need to press the “fn” key.

Bye
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you CB,

I was heard about that shortcut but was unable to find it again, so thank you.

But there is something weird still: if I delete the dot-underscore files from a Mac (I use Onyx to make the invisible files appear), the "unknown" album is still there in the Beosound. When I delete them from the windows explorer, the album disappear.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,758 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Fri, Jan 29 2021 7:35 PM
This certainly happened because the finder recreate a hidden file when closing/ejecting Sad

Try deleting the .xxx files on Mac, then look on a PC to see if anything is left.
lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
721 Posts
Founder
leosgonewild:

I had a Beosound 2, but I never managed to get it to work with my Mac. Eventually gave up

Hi Leo,

The trick with the BeoSound 2 (the MP3 player) is simply to remove the SD card, use an SD card reader, and drag-and-drop files from the Mac to the card.

Not as convenient as iTunes, I know, but for me it was worth the hassle to keep it going (at the time).

Lawrence
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

Setting the Beosound 2 in iTunes mode and clicking the GO button for 2 secondes when the unit is docked makes it mount flawlessly even on recent OSX.
But nowadays when modern Mac have all SDcard slots working directly on the card is obviously a simpler and faster way.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

leosgonewild:
How about some photo documentation of your pretty little thing?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,361 Posts
Silver Member

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL