LG Compatibility

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 46 Replies | 0 Followers

graham60
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member
graham60 posted on Wed, Jan 13 2021 8:58 PM

I have a Beo4 50" Plasma with Beolab 7.2 and Beo3 +DVBT Module  and use the Beo5 remote, I also have a Humax Freesat and a DVD2 + 8000 & 6000 Speakers 

I am "thinking" of upgrading the TV but how is it possible with the limited options on offer from B&O, firstly  I am limited to size 55-60" would be a max as the TV sits in a recess and is mounted on a BV4 50 remote wall bracket,

My second problem is price ! like what is an LG/B&O really worth compared to getting an LG ?

So what I am asking is what would be the best Screen and Sound Bar upgrade to go with, fit in with and be compatible with my system

All Replies

andybandy
Top 500 Contributor
163 Posts
Bronze Member

Emil Jensen. Her you can see the module in the BeoSystem 4, its one of the latest produced video engine from B&O and same video engine thats are in the beovision 11 and avant mk1.

BV 14 and Avant mk2 have the latest video engine that was build on this video engine platform, before they quite the tv fabric in Struer and get the Deal with LG. 

Hope that help you :) 

andybandy
Top 500 Contributor
163 Posts
Bronze Member

Emil Jensen. Her you can see the module in the BeoSystem 4, its one of the latest produced video engine from B&O and same video engine thats are in the beovision 11 and avant mk1.

BV 14 and Avant mk2 have the latest video engine that was build on this video engine platform, before they quite the tv fabric in Struer and get the Deal with LG. 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,729 Posts
Bronze Member

Emil Jensen:

Puncher:

Emil Jensen:

Puncher:

The TV is a bog standard LG so all picture processing is from LG. The b&o speaker bit can down/up mix the audio to your preferred speaker setup - therefore audio only, distinguishing it from either the bs3 or 4.

The audio engine is the important and expensive bit in a Beosystem 4, else is a tuner and a average HDMI switch.

Also you have the PUC control and everything.

You get a much better TV with a Eclipse than you did with a BV12/11/Avant

Wrong! It was the video processing in the bs3 & bs4 that made a TV into a beovision, otherwise its just a sound centre. The picture of the eclipse may be better than at least some of the models you mention but that is because panel technology has moved on since they were current. The picture of the eclipse could be better, as ably demonstrated by Sony, Panasonic and Philips etc. but B&o have decided not to (or can't afford to) strive for the best picture any more.

The audio engine was not the reason d'etre of a Beosystem.

Hallo Puncher,

I cannot seem to find any info on the video processing in the Beosystem 4, as you seem sure can you find some info on this?

The BV12 was just a Panasonic monitor I am pretty sure that the video processing was done there, and the Beosystem 4 was merely a HDMI switch. Also as you could use the Beosystem for other stuff.

I'm sure there be better but HERE

User Manual HERE

Ban boring signatures!

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
759 Posts
Bronze Member

graham60:

Hi Emil

I think you have answered my question !

Am I correct in saying that the Eclipse (Mk2) is just an LG OLED GX series TV with the 3rd gen. Alpha 9 Processor etc. (all LG & nothing to do with B&O)

And that B&O have added "their" Speaker system /Sound Bar, Their Beo 1 remote control, Their fixings and their Wall Bracket (£800 or £1400 motorise

B&O Eclipse with Aluminium Speaker front (£950) and Motorised Wall Bracket (£1400) £9500

LG OLED 55" GX TV £1600

As Andy is saying a good exercise would be to try to make another setup, and compare prices first, and then looks second.

I think you will find both compelling towards an Eclipse.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
759 Posts
Bronze Member

Puncher:

Emil Jensen:

Puncher:

Emil Jensen:

Puncher:

The TV is a bog standard LG so all picture processing is from LG. The b&o speaker bit can down/up mix the audio to your preferred speaker setup - therefore audio only, distinguishing it from either the bs3 or 4.

The audio engine is the important and expensive bit in a Beosystem 4, else is a tuner and a average HDMI switch.

Wrong! It was the video processing in the bs3 & bs4 that made a TV into a beovision, otherwise its just a sound centre. The picture of the eclipse may be better than at least some of the models you mention but that is because panel technology has moved on since they were current. The picture of the eclipse could be better, as ably demonstrated by Sony, Panasonic and Philips etc. but B&o have decided not to (or can't afford to) strive for the best picture any more.

Hallo Puncher,

I cannot seem to find any info on the video processing in the Beosystem 4, as you seem sure can you find some info on this?

The BV12 was just a Panasonic monitor I am pretty sure that the video processing was done there, and the Beosystem 4 was merely a HDMI switch. Also as you could use the Beosystem for other stuff.

User Manual HERE

I am sorry Puncher,

I dont mean to be lesser minded and always like to learn.

But I can see that on the first site they called it a video engine, but in what regard.

I can only see that it is a HDMI Switch with some Colour management. Where is the Engine?

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,729 Posts
Bronze Member

Emil Jensen:

Puncher:

Emil Jensen:

Puncher:

Emil Jensen:

Puncher:

Hallo Puncher,

User Manual HERE

I am sorry Puncher,

I dont mean to be lesser minded and always like to learn.

But I can see that on the first site they called it a video engine, but in what regard.

I can only see that it is a HDMI Switch with some Colour management. Where is the Engine?

HERE

HERE

Ban boring signatures!

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
759 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Puncher, did not know that.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,601 Posts
Bronze Member

When I speak of these thing, I usually call it ‘the audio engine of the BSys4’ (because that is what it is, even if that also is refined and changed a bit since then).

Maybe the guys in Struer just realized that - in a rapidly changing ‘video’ world, they’d better use their limited resources on audio, ease of controlling (and design/material quality, of course) instead of trying to keep up with companies like Samsung and LG for video technologies.

Maybe we could call a modern Beovision a Bang & Olufsen Sound Center with an integrated LG/OLED screen.

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
128 Posts
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Tue, Jan 19 2021 10:27 PM
andybandy:

Is it confirmed that Avant Mk2 has BS4?

I thought that Avant Mk1 was the last Avant with B&O picture processing, then Mk2 was based on an LG platform with WebOS.

I’m just asking for confirmation about a guess, I’m not competent on this matter.

Thanks. Smile

Olivier
graham60
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member
graham60 replied on Tue, Jan 19 2021 10:41 PM

I tend to disagree with some of what you say, firstly the beo remote, I use the Beo 5, I can go to the screen "Lounge" here I see DTV, DVD, DVD2, FREESAT, RADIO, CD, A.TAPE, (TV BRACKET, MEMORY, IN), I can then go to screen 2 and see Speakers, Light etc., and all I need do is touch/press  screen and everything is there, take "Light"  for instance I have a Lutron Light zone controller and the screen on the Beo 5 corresponds to the colours on the Lutron and all the commands are all there on the 2 1/2" screen and it's the same for every item that's programmed in.

Next I have the Beolab 7.2 Speaker (obviously not a patch on the Eclipse ?)

Then there's the Beosound 3 with DVBT module (obsolete ! but won't the LG GX upscale the picture ?)

Then the Beo 4 50" (OK I accept it's old technology but there's nothing wrong with the picture and that's why I would never buy an LCD Screen)

And finally the motorised wall bracket that not only brings the screen & speaker away from the wall, it moves them into the room, but it's of no use because the Eclipse uses a Hinge (in fact it looks like if you move it too far the sound bar will hit the wall)

Now here we have it, the dilemma I am faced with ! Do I throw all the above into a skip as it's just a pile of junk, or that's the impression I get from the B&O dealership that offered me 10% in part ex, so a £9k spend= £900 for all the above, The wall bracket alone was close to £1500 but hey it's all useless 

And do I feel let down by B&O yes I do after 35yrs with them (Beocentre 6000 & RL 60 Speakers), and what do I do with the DVD2, the Overture, the 8000, 6000 Speakers & Beo 2 Sub, Do I skip the lot ?, Sorry  I forgot the Beocom 2 Phone and the B&O Keyring 

B&O are abandoning long standing customers (unless you have a Bentley parked on your driveway that is) and their "Share" price tumbles, I think they are losing the plot !!

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,940 Posts
Founder

So, after having at least 10 yrs of experience with the still working setup, you’re wondering whether a €1500,- costing LG can give you the same joy and experience?

What do you expect? That you’re offered more discount for trading in?

With the new Eclipse or Harmony you still can use your old speakers, expand it with more nowadays domotics etc.
If you don’t want to use them, you can go the Contour way. Nice clean all-in-one solution. 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,729 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 11:22 AM

Why not try the LG GX in place of the BV4 with your existing system? If its not to your liking then look at the stand/sound centre purchase.

Ban boring signatures!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,729 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 11:22 AM

Why not try the LG GX in place of the BV4 with your existing system? If its not to your liking then look at the stand/sound centre purchase.

Ban boring signatures!

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
759 Posts
Bronze Member

Puncher:

This solution would be very good, the B&O dealer have no problem with this, as they buy the TV's directly from LG and not B&O. So they can easily sell you only the sound center part.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,940 Posts
Founder

Before one starts to order a LG GX from the cheapest discount site or store. For ordering and installing the dealer needs to have the serialnumber from both the LG and soundsystem for (possible future) waranty issues. So, I would recommend to talk this over with your dealer before going this way. You could buy the LG from him. (As mentioned they have their own LG account)

This has to do with the quality of the installation, which has to be done by B&O's certified installers.

Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL