rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 37 Replies | 1 Follower

Francois00
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member
Francois00 posted on Thu, Dec 10 2020 10:32 AM

Hello,

I encounter a strange problem: my Beosound 5 ENCORE cannot connect anymore to the network because it has suddenly a bad configuration.

In "Settings" "Advanced" I can see the DHCP is disabled. Ok, I place it on "enabled", enter Go, then "Store" and the response is "Failed!". I don't know why.

All the fields IP address, subnet mask... are empty. I know the correct values to place it but I don't know how to enter and store it in the BS5.

As I'm living 3 hours driving from the next B&O store in normal weather conditions and seeing the snow falling, I don't think it would be a good idea to drive my car so long for that!

I've also phoned to the retailer, no help, B&O on Facebook inconclusive. So, I have to manage it myself.

I have no problems with computers and networks but I'm not a B&O technician.

Of course, I've tried to unplug the BS5, changed the RJ45 cable, reboot the router, reboot the BS5... anything I can imagine (logic or not).

Not yet a shaman or a sorcerer!

May someone help me?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

François

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Francois00
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Stan   this procedure doesn't applies to the Beosound 5 Encore which is not running Windows XP but Linux.

There is no need of a keyboard, the service menu has two choices: reboot or restore the factory parameters, you can access it with the arrows.

I did both. Nothing changed!

Has anybody an other idea?

For example connecting a laptop wth Windows XP and then... ? I have one. A crossover cable too if necessary.

Maybe some tools are mandatory for checking the lan card if there is one and to force the DHCP to be enabled back.

Thanks for your help.

François

All Replies

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,928 Posts
Founder

Just try a recovery. In most cases that will help. Not logical, but effective. 

Francois00
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy:

Just try a recovery. In most cases that will help. Not logical, but effective. 

Beobuddy what do you call 'recovery"? I have reboot or restore factory settings. I didn't see your recovery procedure.

Thanks for a little help more!

Francois00
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy what do you call exactly a recovery? Thanks

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
593 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 12:56 AM

Notwithstanding the factory restore, you could go into the service menu and set the network settings there, open a command  window (CMD in the run... menu item on the main windows menu) and try to ping www.google.com. If that works, then the rest should do - if it doesn’t, the repair the network connection. If no luck there, then factory restore (assuming your network is actually connected!)

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,928 Posts
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 12:19 PM

I’ve had several occasions where changing settings inside menu’s didn’t work. Customers or servicemenu. Didn’t work. 
So, the recovery option was finally solving the network issue. Assuming that cables, router settings are checked.
Recovery can be chosen at the start when the BS5 is powered, or via service menu. Music will be saved.  

Francois00
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy frog

is the recovery what I see as factory settings restore?

I did it and maybe the problems came from there, my BS5 didn't light on itself after that, I'll did it myself pressing the Go button. I suspect the process didn't achieve correctly.

How do you go in the service menu? I don't have this in the BS5 Encore.

Connect a laptop with Windows XP?  through a crossover cable?

I can do that and then?

I've found how to enter a fixed IP address, mask, gateway, DNS  but, as the DHCP, it doens't want to store it and says briefly "connecting" and then "Failed!".

This is THE problem: I have no connection because the DHCP is off and I can't store the IP parameters.

Thanks for your help, I hope we could find an issue soon!

François

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
840 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 5:17 PM

To get to service menu, you need to connect a mouse and keyboard to your BS5 (or sometimes just a mouse, depending on what you need to do).  Then, you select "service menu" from the BS5 (go to "settings", then press >>, <<, >>, <<, GO, then select "Maintenance", then select "service men").  After you select "service menu" from the BS5 menu, the BS5 display becomes a computer monitor which shows the Windows XP screen which you can then control through mouse and keyboard.  I use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that I normally use with my laptop so I just plug the keyboard's bluetooth dongle into one of the USB ports, go to the service menu, and then you're in windows.

Hope this helps,

Stan

Francois00
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Stan   this procedure doesn't applies to the Beosound 5 Encore which is not running Windows XP but Linux.

There is no need of a keyboard, the service menu has two choices: reboot or restore the factory parameters, you can access it with the arrows.

I did both. Nothing changed!

Has anybody an other idea?

For example connecting a laptop wth Windows XP and then... ? I have one. A crossover cable too if necessary.

Maybe some tools are mandatory for checking the lan card if there is one and to force the DHCP to be enabled back.

Thanks for your help.

François

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,928 Posts
Founder

You're mixing things up.

Stan is right on how to enter the servicemenu from the BS5 (with the BM5 as black box).

The Beosound Encore isn't a Beosound 5. So, about which product are we actually arguing?

You might try first some kind of netanalyzer or enter your isp modem/router, to see which ip-adres the BS encore.BS5 has been given.

Francois00
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy I've always talked abaut Beosound 5 Encore, that's the product I own.

I've searched it on my network before you suggest me to do it and din't find it.

Of course, that's THE problem:  DHCP has been desactvated, I don't know why, it's impossible to reactivate it with the BS5 Encore tools and impossible too to enter a valid IP address.

And no IP address + no DHCP = no network connection, nothing to see in the net analyser.

Nothing was changed in my router and all other equipments are OK. You can read me? So, it works.

Now I think there is two solutions:

- trying to solve the problem connecting a laptop with tools.

- throw the Beosound 5 Encore to the bin.

I prefer the first one.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

François

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,928 Posts
Founder

Francois00:

Hello,

I encounter a strange problem: my Beosound 5....

There the cause of the confusion.

I assume that you've checked your networkcable, I don't have any experience with the BS Encore.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,507 Posts
Bronze Member

Francois00:
- throw the Beosound 5 Encore to the bin.
please let me know which bin Big Smile

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,507 Posts
Bronze Member

Did you try WIFI?

Francois00
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy  Sorry, I've written Encore sometimes only.

Yesterday, I've checked with 4 different cables. Same thing. And if you think about it, it could be a problem but not in this case: I have no DHCP AND no fix address. Impossible to change those parameters.

I know only one way to force it to rebuild the entire listings of the music: restoring the factory settings. This option exists but always have been in grey.

I did it several times after having changed too many things in the USB HDD attached, always fine.

I suspect this time this operation had encountered a problem because I had network connection just before.

I think the B&O tools allows to boot on USB and flash a new system image in BS5 or BM5.

I'm pretty sure that would be the solution to my problem.

But I don't have it.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

François

Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL