rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 2 Followers

dyhr2204
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
dyhr2204 posted on Tue, Nov 17 2020 6:28 PM

Hi!

I have tried searching the forum for this question. I am sorry if the question has been asked before.

I have a LG OLED55CX6LA.

I have connected the optical out from the TV to the optical in the B&O Core.

I cannot control the sound level from the TV?

Is this possible?

Best regards

Martin

All Replies

BoboDK
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
BoboDK replied on Tue, Nov 17 2020 9:19 PM

I have not any experience with this, but I’m pretty sure that I read somewhere, that the digital output should be set to PCM on the tv if you should done volume control. 

I’m not sure, but it’s worth a try. 

dyhr2204
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you very much for your reply.

Unfortunately the TV has already been set to PCM.

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
514 Posts
Bronze Member

I have this same connection. Once you use optical out from the TV ‘only’ the Core can adjust the volume. Basically the TV is just passing the digital signal to the Core and Core is doing all the processing. The only way to control the volume from the TV is to use the headphone out from the TV to the Core.

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
596 Posts
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Wed, Nov 18 2020 12:23 AM

The manual is useless:  "Tour of Settings/Sound/Sound Out: Optical: You can connect an audio device that supports Optical to the optical digital audio output port to enjoy your TV’s sound in richer quality and greater convenience.  Only available for models with an optical digital port.  For some devices, you can adjust the volume using the TV remote control."

So do you have one of those "some" devices?  The answer is simple: try it!  If it lowers the volume, then it lowers the volume.  If it doesn't lower the volume, then it doesn't lower the volume.  [[I'm such a sphinx.  Or maybe that's Yogi Berra.]]

[Speculation follows, YMMV: I would expect that it does not have variable volume out over optical, because that would involve more processing in the TV.  I also believe that you have turned off as much processing as you can, by setting "Sound/Additional Settings/Digital Sound Out" to "PCM".  Typically, optical-out is transmitted "raw" from the decoder and not post-processed.  (I believe this custom is because original use was primitive: digital out on DAT & CD machines, just very simple bitstream re-routing to SPDIF over TOSlink.)  Also typically, TVs which *do* any processing on the audio cause delays and then have problems with video/audio sync.  So be grateful: unless you really love the LG remote, it's good that you can control the volume using the Core, instead.]

dyhr2204
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
dyhr2204 replied on Wed, Nov 18 2020 11:58 AM

Thank you very much for your answers.

I think that using the headphone out would reduce sound quality - right?

I don't have a remote for the Core - so I have to use the app on my phone for controlling the volume right now - which is not a satisfying solution. I don't think that the Beoremote one can control the TV - and I would prefer not having 2 different remote controls.

So I think the only option is to buy a Wisa dongle for the TV instead of the optical cable. 

Will that reduce sound quality?

Top 150 Contributor
517 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Wed, Nov 18 2020 1:01 PM

dyhr2204:

So I think the only option is to buy a Wisa dongle for the TV instead of the optical cable. 

Will that reduce sound quality?

I don't think so. But then you can only use the LG internals to play music, not NL.

If you need NL, I think you can use the BLGW/BLI. It has a new LG WebOS driver (https://khimo.github.io/help_drivers/LGwebOS/), so you could achieve full control of the tv via BR One > Core (or even any legacy B&O remote if you have an IR-puck connected to the Core).

dyhr2204
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you very much for your answer. 

Sorry for being a newbie - but what is NL?

Top 150 Contributor
517 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Wed, Nov 18 2020 2:46 PM

No worries, NL is the B&O Network Link multiroom-system. You can e.g. stream Deezer, TuneIn and in your setup even the TV-sound to your other B&O-products, e.g. using touch to join etc.

dyhr2204
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Ah ok - great.

My setup is LG TV optical out to Beosound Core. Beosound Core to Transmitter 1. Transmitter 1 is wireless connected to Beosound 18 and 19.

So instead I can use a Wisa dongle in the LG TV to connect to Beosound 18 and 19 and remove the optical cable. I would still use my Beosound Core and Transmitter 1.

Is this setup possible - so that the LG tv sound uses Wisa to my speakers without reduction of sound quality and the possibility to use the LG remote control to control sound level from TV - and my Beosound Core and Transmitter 1 still continues to use the speakers when playing music from my phone - with the possibility to use the phone to control sound level when playing from this?

Top 150 Contributor
517 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Wed, Nov 18 2020 3:12 PM

dyhr2204:

Is this setup possible - so that the LG tv sound uses Wisa to my speakers without reduction of sound quality and the possibility to use the LG remote control to control sound level from TV - and my Beosound Core and Transmitter 1 still continues to use the speakers when playing music from my phone - with the possibility to use the phone to control sound level when playing from this?

I believe the speakers can only be connected to one Wisa-product. So either you connect the products to the Wisa dongle in the TV or you connect them to the Transmitter 1.

I think the best solution to your problem is to connect the TV not to the Core but to the Toslink-input on the Transmitter 1 and add the IR-receiver to the Transmitter 1. That way you keep the functionality of the Core and have the sound of the LG tv controlled by the LG remote.

B&O:

Use your TV remote control to adjust speaker volume If you want to be able to control the volume of your Bang & Olufsen speaker set-up using the remote for your non-B&O television, this is also possible. All you need is the Bang & Olufsen RCV3000 IR receiver, available in your local Bang & Olufsen store. The receiver connects to BeoLab Transmitter 1 using a simple USB plug and doesn’t require any external power source. RCV3000 works with the latest generations of Samsung, LG and Sony remote controls.

dyhr2204
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you for this.

I have now bought the RCV3000 receiver.

I have connected my tv via optical cable to the toslink port at the Transmitter 1 and the receiver to the USB port resulting in very loud sound from the tv.

I have tried rebooting the entire system some times but the remote cannot control the sound level - not even with the remote really close to the receiver.

When I try controlling the sound from the tv the receiver is not reacting at all.

On the other hand if I try controlling the sound level at music I play from Spotify via the BeoCore connected to PL1 at the Transmitter 1, the receiver is blinking a red light, but nothing happens to the sound level.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL