Answered (Verified) This post has 16 verified answers | 51 Replies | 1 Follower

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
184 Posts
Gold Member
marc posted on Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:07 PM

Hi All

Could someone please tell if ms 150 speakers are soild wood or veneer as i'm picking a pair up next week which has a small chip out of cabinet which i have not seen and need to know best way to repair.

marc

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,765 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:42 PM
Verified by marc

They are all particle board.
Wooden cabinets have veneer added, white cabinets have foil.

Martin

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
568 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Dennis replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:46 PM
Verified by marc

Veneer. Smile

Fantastic speakers btw.! Be aware, that they most likely suffer from foam rot if they haven't been refurbished. But be sure, that they come with the original drivers no matter what, otherwise they are worthless. 

They are definitely worth refurbishing if 100% original. They are the best passive speakers made by Bang & Olufsen - And that says a lot! 

Feel free to ask, if you have more questions - I've owned a pair of MS 150s and have a pair of almost mint MS 150.2s now. Cool

- Dennis Smile

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
953 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by marc

The stands are definitely needed as the bass reflex port shouldn't touch the floor. M150 stands should fit the MS150 - I am almost sure that B&O only made two sizes. £250 sounds fine if they are as you described and with stands.

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
568 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Dennis replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 7:27 PM
Verified by marc

I think the price is fair - I sold my MS 150s for 225£ a few years ago and I realized afterwards that I probably could have sold them for 325£. They were refoamed and in good condition. Bad luck, but I have a lovely pair of MS 150.2s now which have been refoamed and fitted with new caps in the crossovers - I won't part with these unless someone offers me a very attractive amount of money for them or I find a white pair which are rare as hens teeth!

The stands for M 150 and MS 150 are identical. Smile

- Dennis 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,883 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:13 PM
Verified by marc

Yes - MS150s are probably the best passive speaker B&O made. The carcass actually included a bitumen layer which deadened the resonance more. I always found these a contrary speaker though - the design is clearly superb and the sound quality fantastic with a frequency response curve only bettered by Beolab 5s; but aspects of construction are very poor - it is as if the bean counters have gone through an original design shaving pennies off - the frets are very flimsy, the foam surrounds rot and the bass ports appear to be made from carpet roll tubing! The internal finish is also far poorer than the earlier M100s. All bits you cannot really see, but prior to this, B&O were always very good at these bits as well! Look inside a Beolab 5000 amplifier and is a a piece of art.

Peter

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
656 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by marc
Mark,

The BM 4400 is arguably the finest sounding Beomaster and should drive MS 150s without any difficulty. To find a mint and boxed example is very unusual - well done.

I have always regretted not buying the MS 150s when I had the chance, even though they would have been incompatible with my listening room.

Cleve

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,765 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 6:11 PM
Verified by marc

Dennis:

- Dennis 

Do you have any printed information to back this up ?
If I remember correctly, the MS150 stands are both deeper and wider than the M150 stands to
match the equally wider and deeper cabinets of the MS150.

There are at least 8 different speaker stands with the square foot. Probably more.
 (Not counting the modifications introduced to the speaker mounting screws/washers and
tilting screw on december 30th 1981).

Martin

square4
Top 500 Contributor
137 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by marc

The stands for m 150 is 29x32cm and 57 cm high.The stands for ms 150 is 30x36cm and 63c high.

So Martin is absolutely right about this.

Henrik   

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
568 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Dennis replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 6:34 PM
Verified by marc

Ok, I stand corrected on that one. Embarrassed 

I always imagined, that the only difference in dimension between the M150 ans MS150 was the height. 

But they will fit! - The mounting holes are placed at the same width (At least that's the case with my MC120.2 and MS150.2 stands), and if you can't find the widest stands and the alternative would be to use the MS150s without stands, then I would go for the M150 stands if they can be bought for a reasonable price. 

I think I have a pair of the biggest stands in rough condition somewhere, but they weigh half a ton, so I guess they would be quite expensive to ship... Where are you located, Marc?

- Dennis

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
656 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by marc
Marc,

If it is truly 'mint' cosmetically and is fully working, then you have a bargain. The box alone would have added £20-£40 to its value.

Cleve
valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,467 Posts
Gold Member
Answered (Verified) valve1 replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 7:44 AM
Verified by marc

In mint condition with boxes etc it was a good deal even if it needs some fixing.

Have you powered it up yet ?

You could cut your losses...... give you 50£ !  :-)

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,883 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 8:55 AM
Verified by marc

If working perfectly, go for £250 and see if you get some bites!

Peter

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,467 Posts
Gold Member
Answered (Verified) valve1 replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 2:29 PM
Verified by marc

mdm123:
The price you gave, was it for beocentre 3600

Mark I think there is some confusion, Peter and I are talking about (lusting) your 4400.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,256 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by marc

mdm123:
4400 paper work. Can anyone tell  me how to make my pics smaller they keep getting cut once i upload

Use a photo editor, make your pics 800 pixels wide before posting. And your pics are not cut, click on them and they open in the full size.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,256 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by marc

Just amazing when it works without problems, a very nice BM 4400, I´m working on one at the moment, but with a lot of problems. Congrats

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
568 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Dennis replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 11:54 PM
Verified by marc

mdm123:

i'm in south wales-united kingdom, how much you selling your ms150 stands     

I just checked, and they are unfortunately the smaller ones for M150. They would also need a layer of paint to look good again, so I think you would be better off, if you wait and find a pair of MS150 stands - I sadly think you should be pretty lucky however... so if you don't find any, then send me a PM. They are better than nothing...

You could also attempt to make some yourself. Stick out tongue

- Dennis

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,765 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:42 PM
Verified by marc

They are all particle board.
Wooden cabinets have veneer added, white cabinets have foil.

Martin

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
568 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Dennis replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:46 PM
Verified by marc

Veneer. Smile

Fantastic speakers btw.! Be aware, that they most likely suffer from foam rot if they haven't been refurbished. But be sure, that they come with the original drivers no matter what, otherwise they are worthless. 

They are definitely worth refurbishing if 100% original. They are the best passive speakers made by Bang & Olufsen - And that says a lot! 

Feel free to ask, if you have more questions - I've owned a pair of MS 150s and have a pair of almost mint MS 150.2s now. Cool

- Dennis Smile

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
184 Posts
Gold Member
marc replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 7:13 PM

Hi 

The speakers have been refoamed and are all 100% original with grill covers, just a small chip to wood at top front egde of one of the speakers and a few of the plastic clips on the covers have come off but all stay in place ok, i'm told i can have them for £250 , is this to much or a good deal. Also will m150 stands fit ms150 speakers .

marc  

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
953 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by marc

The stands are definitely needed as the bass reflex port shouldn't touch the floor. M150 stands should fit the MS150 - I am almost sure that B&O only made two sizes. £250 sounds fine if they are as you described and with stands.

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
568 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Dennis replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 7:27 PM
Verified by marc

I think the price is fair - I sold my MS 150s for 225£ a few years ago and I realized afterwards that I probably could have sold them for 325£. They were refoamed and in good condition. Bad luck, but I have a lovely pair of MS 150.2s now which have been refoamed and fitted with new caps in the crossovers - I won't part with these unless someone offers me a very attractive amount of money for them or I find a white pair which are rare as hens teeth!

- Dennis 

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
184 Posts
Gold Member
marc replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 8:01 PM

I Also have a pair of rl 140 , beovox 5000 mk1,  beovox m70  and type k  speakers , so are these ms150's better than all of these.     

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,883 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:13 PM
Verified by marc

Yes - MS150s are probably the best passive speaker B&O made. The carcass actually included a bitumen layer which deadened the resonance more. I always found these a contrary speaker though - the design is clearly superb and the sound quality fantastic with a frequency response curve only bettered by Beolab 5s; but aspects of construction are very poor - it is as if the bean counters have gone through an original design shaving pennies off - the frets are very flimsy, the foam surrounds rot and the bass ports appear to be made from carpet roll tubing! The internal finish is also far poorer than the earlier M100s. All bits you cannot really see, but prior to this, B&O were always very good at these bits as well! Look inside a Beolab 5000 amplifier and is a a piece of art.

Peter

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
184 Posts
Gold Member
marc replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:50 PM

ms150's it is then which will complete my large b&o speaker collection, i am also about to pick up a beomaster 4400 mint and boxed with all paper work and the price tag still on the cable, would this run the ms150's ok or better off putting m70 with it.

marc 

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
656 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by marc
Mark,

The BM 4400 is arguably the finest sounding Beomaster and should drive MS 150s without any difficulty. To find a mint and boxed example is very unusual - well done.

I have always regretted not buying the MS 150s when I had the chance, even though they would have been incompatible with my listening room.

Cleve

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
184 Posts
Gold Member
marc replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:13 AM

once i pick up ms150 and beomaster 4400 i will post some pics 

marc

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,765 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 6:11 PM
Verified by marc

Dennis:

- Dennis 

Do you have any printed information to back this up ?
If I remember correctly, the MS150 stands are both deeper and wider than the M150 stands to
match the equally wider and deeper cabinets of the MS150.

There are at least 8 different speaker stands with the square foot. Probably more.
 (Not counting the modifications introduced to the speaker mounting screws/washers and
tilting screw on december 30th 1981).

Martin

square4
Top 500 Contributor
137 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by marc

The stands for m 150 is 29x32cm and 57 cm high.The stands for ms 150 is 30x36cm and 63c high.

So Martin is absolutely right about this.

Henrik   

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
568 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Dennis replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 6:34 PM
Verified by marc

Ok, I stand corrected on that one. Embarrassed 

I always imagined, that the only difference in dimension between the M150 ans MS150 was the height. 

But they will fit! - The mounting holes are placed at the same width (At least that's the case with my MC120.2 and MS150.2 stands), and if you can't find the widest stands and the alternative would be to use the MS150s without stands, then I would go for the M150 stands if they can be bought for a reasonable price. 

I think I have a pair of the biggest stands in rough condition somewhere, but they weigh half a ton, so I guess they would be quite expensive to ship... Where are you located, Marc?

- Dennis

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
184 Posts
Gold Member
marc replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 7:42 PM

i'm in south wales-united kingdom, how much you selling your ms150 stands     

Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL