Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BeoVision Contour

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 237 Replies | 2 Followers

Tayne
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member
Tayne posted on Fri, Oct 30 2020 7:21 PM

Have I missed something, or has this new TV already been discussed somewhere?

All Replies

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
702 Posts
Bronze Member

Puncher:

I do wonder how much bespoke b&o electronic design really happens these days rather than off-the-shelf solutions cobbled together or ready-made designs sourced in China.

Very little I would imagine. Same for the aesthetic design on some products, but not all.

Judging from people’s posts it seems many are liking the design of the Contour from the photos but personally, I think it’s a rather weak effort on B&Os part. Perhaps a new customer to the brand might find it slightly interesting but I feel those who have had a BV10/11/14 may not find the design that exciting as it looks far too similar. I am waiting to move on from my BV11 and ready when something different comes along. The Contour won’t be that television though. The Harmony might have been if it wasn’t so large but I just can’t accommodate such a big footprint.

I feel certain now that my next TV will be the LG Signature W9, or W10 should a further update come out following CES in the new year. I’ll probably buy the Stage to go with it so at least there will still be something B&O present. The overall experience will be great I am sure, but it will also feel incomplete or unfinished without the B&O curtains, menus and one remote. B&O have made it clear for some time now the direction they are heading, which sadly and as a personal opinion only, is a little less B&O each year.

Still, I shall be very happy with these two products as I’ve loved the wallpaper televisions since the first release. I honestly don’t think anything on the market today looks as good as that as a statement piece to have on your wall. I suppose I just wish it had come from B&O, but I can’t expect them to do it all, or can I?

Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8, BR1, Essence

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
148 Posts
Gold Member

ButziBaer:
I think in the second week of november.

I saw a price from 5600 € with a manual wall bracket.

LOL.  No thanks.

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 1x Beolab 6000 • 1x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2 • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  9x Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
607 Posts
Founder

5600€ is too steep. I might replace my BV14-40 with something bigger. 48" would be perfect. But since the Contour will, supposedly, not have any PL's then it's of no use to me. Too bad. B&O could have sold me one... But I'm gonna pass.. how good it may look..

Top 200 Contributor
423 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, Nov 5 2020 8:53 AM

Historically there has always been an entry level BeoVision without surround processing capability. Having an entry level product for bedroom/kitchen/small household/ low nett worth housholds ;) makes sense I guess.

I’m especially wondering if the streaming platform is based on the Stage generation or the Balance-generation. If it’s the Balance, it could well be able (in future) to be paired over IP with extra speakers. There was promise of that functionality in the literature on the Balance I believe. 

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,143 Posts
Gold Member

1990:

Historically there has always been an entry level BeoVision without surround processing capability. Having an entry level product for bedroom/kitchen/small household/ low nett worth housholds ;) makes sense I guess.

I’m especially wondering if the streaming platform is based on the Stage generation or the Balance-generation. If it’s the Balance, it could well be able (in future) to be paired over IP with extra speakers. There was promise of that functionality in the literature on the Balance I believe. 

Actually thats a really interesting point, maybe no PL could be becuase it can send music via IP rather than cable which would make sense, i woudl expect both options though like current TV's support PL and WISA.

interesting set and actually as a Bedroom TV that for me doesn't need extra speakers a stand alone TV that has NL woudl be perfect.

If of course I wanted a TV in my bedroom that is

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
85 Posts
Bronze Member
Less specc’d Horizon @+25% of the price. Confused

Olivier
kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
607 Posts
Founder

1990:

Historically the "entry" level (MX/BeoVision1/BeoVision6) received PL connections. Even the BeoPlay V1 (B&O's most entry level TV in the last 8 years!) had PL connections!

Releasing a BeoVision (with that name!) in 2020 for > 5000€ without the possibility to connect your BeoLab speakers makes no sense at all.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,215 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Nov 5 2020 10:30 AM

The Beonic Man:

Judging from people’s posts it seems many are liking the design of the Contour from the photos but personally, I think it’s a rather weak effort on B&Os part. Perhaps a new customer to the brand might find it slightly interesting 

I think that's mostly the point for this product. Not saying I'm loving the design, but it's better than expected and it's low cost.

People expect too much I think. They expect modern unique designs (ie. a BV14 replacement) in a period where people aren't spending tonnes of cash on luxury goods in a lockdown. Most B&O stores have spent the year closed. B&O has to adapt around this.

I'm sure so many people are blinkered here to what's actually happening around them. I'm assuming a lot of people are, dare I say it, fairly comfortably well off, so are a bit limited in their vision to what the market is demanding/wanting and what a tiny and low-resourced company such as B&O can pull off in 2020.

The Contour might not be a design classic, but neither was the Horizon for me. And I bet the Contour has a far better audio system if it uses a Stage.

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
148 Posts
Gold Member

Puncher:

I do wonder how much bespoke b&o electronic design really happens these days rather than off-the-shelf solutions cobbled together or ready-made designs sourced in China.

I've done a bit of internet sleuthing, as well as disassembly of recent products, and can answer this question

The electronic design is definitely bespoke. For example, the boards in the Beoremote Halo can be seen here:
     https://fccid.io/TTU-HALOTABLE/Internal-Photos/Internal-photos-4627850
That is truly a ground-up design, not using any off-the-shelf modules.  I'm not brave enough yet to dismantle my own Halo to determine what specific chips they're using, but I suspect the design uses a small ARM processor running embedded Linux.

I discovered from my internet sleuthing that they have a new design partner in Asia within the last two or three years, so at least some of the hardware design work is being outsourced to lower-cost development locations. I also discovered that the software for the Beosound Moment was outsourced to Tata in India, but it seems most likely that they've abandoned that relationship along with the product.  Sad

Finally, LinkedIn is currently showing that they are hiring a Software Manager in Lyngby who will be in charge of two development teams totaling 15 developers.  LinkedIn also shows a posting for a Senior Software Test Engineer / Manager in Singapore.

So it appears that B&O is indeed making bespoke products, and has a global team of in-house as well as contracted hardware and software developers.

Now I just need to figure out how to get myself (a hardware designer) into their hardware development team!  Big Smile

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 1x Beolab 6000 • 1x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2 • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  9x Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Netherlands
562 Posts
Gold Member
Nice find 👍🏻

BV Eclipse 55 Brass - BL 18 Brass - BL 19 Brass - BL 3 White - BS Moment - BS 2 Brass - BV Horizon 48 - BS3000 - BS 3200 - BS Essence - BL 4000 - V1 40 Black - V1 40 White - BLC NL/ML - H6 -  H4 - E8 Motion - A8 Earphone - Beolit 12 - Beolit 15 - Beoplay A1 Green - Beoplay A3 White

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,665 Posts
Gold Member
No PL

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
618 Posts
Bronze Member

Looks like the Contour is a Stage

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset 

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Englandshire
192 Posts
Gold Member
andy_js replied on Thu, Nov 12 2020 12:14 PM

Does anyone know if it'll have a motorised stand?

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
218 Posts
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Thu, Nov 12 2020 12:44 PM
Emil Jensen:

Looks like the Contour is a Stage

Look like there is a version of the stage designed for use with the Contour.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
618 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes and that would mean

No PL

No WiSa

No PUC

No motor stand

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset 

Page 5 of 16 (238 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL