Connecting 7000 system and MCL 2A to ML / MCL Converter

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

fionajc
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
fionajc posted on Mon, Oct 12 2020 4:18 PM

I have a Beosystem 7000 with link cable run through the house and 3 x Link2A's with passive speakers. I have just bought a ML/MCL converter type 1652 as I wish to use Logitech Squeezbox in one of the rooms which has a Link 2AV.

Sorry if this has been asked before and the questions might not seem connected but Im looking at all my options. I also need to add I have a Beosystem 9500, Becentre 3600 and fitted a preamp in a Beogram 3000 after repairing the power supply and tracking. I repair Beolink 1000's and 5000's. I also have a Denon AV system and a Setton, Technics, Sansui system at work. I use all Tannoy Cheviot speakers, I'm an electronic engineer so I'm capable of some circuit design and mods. Im not bragging, I'm saying that you can be as technical as you like and trying to avoid the dreaded mansplaining.

My questions are:

1. Do I have to fit a 2AV to use the 1652 or see Q4. ?
  2. Can I put a Link 2A tranceiver into the 1652?
  3. Can I connect the 1652 using Link cable or does it have to be power link
  4. If I connect it directly to the BM7000 via power link how do I add control / Squeezebox?
  5. How easy is it to find IR devices for the 1652

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,424 Posts
Bronze Member

No need to get technical there!

In order to use the extra inputs on the AV panel, you must add the ML/MCL to the mix.....this will then work as an amplifier for the local room.

See this article:

https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=978 

Note: you can only listen to the Squezzebox in that room!

If you want to use it globally, you will have to connect it to the Beomaster directly....if you have a free input socket there. 

In that case you won’t need the converter, the amp at all. 

Either way you will have to control the Squeezebox externally (of course not the volume) with an app or - if it has a remote - the remote in the room where the box is located. 

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,424 Posts
Bronze Member

Stay tuned.....my reply went into moderation.....for whatever reason ;-(

MM

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,997 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Oct 12 2020 5:19 PM

Hi and welcome to Beoworld!

Hopefully I can answer your questions.  I assume that you wish to use the Squeezebox as a local source only in the Link 2AV room.

fionajc:
Do I have to fit a 2AV to use the 1652 or see Q4. ?

Assuming there is MCL cable to the room, you will need to use the 1652 in conjunction with an MCL2AV (and transceiver) in order to control locally using a remote, and to provide the local input sockets.  Be aware that local volume control will only be semi-independent - if the main room BM7000 volume is reduced then the MCL2AV link room volume will change too because it relies on the speaker level MCL input.

fionajc:
Can I put a Link 2A tranceiver into the 1652?

Yes, as long as you wire the correct plug terminals.  However, it would only allow control if the 1652 is being provided with an ML input only, NOT if it is being used as an amplifier with a Powerlink input.

fionajc:
Can I connect the 1652 using Link cable or does it have to be power link

The 1652 can be connected with either Powerlink (in which case it works as a dumb amp only) or via ML link cable, in which case you will need a transceiver to control.

fionajc:
If I connect it directly to the BM7000 via power link how do I add control / Squeezebox?

I presume you mean powerlink cable all the way to the link room?  In this case the 1652 would act as a dumb amplifier and you could not add control or Squeezebox.

fionajc:
How easy is it to find IR devices for the 1652

Presume you mean IR transceivers?  You can use either the old MCL transceivers or the more modern hockey-puck types - both available on eBay.

I hope this helps!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,997 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Oct 12 2020 5:20 PM

Millemissen:

MM

I wonder how our answers will compare! Smile

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,852 Posts
Founder
stefan replied on Mon, Oct 12 2020 5:36 PM

Guy:

Hi and welcome to Beoworld!

Hopefully I can answer your questions.  I assume that you wish to use the Squeezebox as a local source only in the Link 2AV room.

fionajc:
Do I have to fit a 2AV to use the 1652 or see Q4. ?

Assuming there is MCL cable to the room, you will need to use the 1652 in conjunction with an MCL2AV (and transceiver) in order to control locally using a remote, and to provide the local input sockets.  Be aware that local volume control will only be semi-independent - if the main room BM7000 volume is reduced then the MCL2AV link room volume will change too because it relies on the speaker level MCL input.

fionajc:
Can I put a Link 2A tranceiver into the 1652?

Yes, as long as you wire the correct plug terminals.  However, it would only allow control if the 1652 is being provided with an ML input only, NOT if it is being used as an amplifier with a Powerlink input.

fionajc:
Can I connect the 1652 using Link cable or does it have to be power link

The 1652 can be connected with either Powerlink (in which case it works as a dumb amp only) or via ML link cable, in which case you will need a transceiver to control.

fionajc:
If I connect it directly to the BM7000 via power link how do I add control / Squeezebox?

I presume you mean powerlink cable all the way to the link room?  In this case the 1652 would act as a dumb amplifier and you could not add control or Squeezebox.

fionajc:
How easy is it to find IR devices for the 1652

Presume you mean IR transceivers?  You can use either the old MCL transceivers or the more modern hockey-puck types - both available on eBay.

I hope this helps!

I think, everything is said...:)

Maybe useful to add, that you should use a fully wired Powerlink cable to connect ML/MCL converter (Beolink passive) with MCL 2AV.

You find wiring diagrams on the beotech site.

And if you want to make your Beosystem 7000 ML compatible, you can do that using a converter 1611.

Stefan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,424 Posts
Bronze Member

Guy:

Millemissen:

MM

I wonder how our answers will compare! Smile

Pretty much the same - with other words!

I suppose my postvwent into moderation, because there is a link there.....a link to a beoworld page :-)))))

MM

fionajc
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you all for your informative answers, now the $65 million question.

Is the Passive 2P and ML/MCL converter amplifiers as good as the Beomaster 7000 amp? I am currently driving my Beosystem 7000 into a pair of Tannoy Cheviots in another room. If I put the 2AV and ML/MCL amp in that room with a Squeezebox is it as good as the 7000 amp. If you know where I can see the circuit diagrams for each I might be able to make my own decision.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL