rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,275 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael posted on Thu, Sep 24 2020 9:23 PM
Quick question. Has B&O given up on theft protection? Pin code security was good to have and was part of beolab 5 and all the expensive TV sets in recent years up to beovision 14.

I noticed that my new beolab 50 lacks the feature and I wonder what the reason is they removed the feature. Does anyone know?

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

All Replies

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
380 Posts
Bronze Member

If you believe Willie's flame in last week's BeoTalk podcast, the customer support burden on the dealer was way too high for the protection afforded by the feature, thus the feature itself ended up being a nuisance for the customer rather than a benefit.  He mentioned former models which also weighed so much that the PIN feature was not the primary reason preventing them from being stolen!  

I think it does present the hot-goods "fence" a stumbling block, at least -- and given modern electronics where a CPU and NVRAM are de rigueur, there's no reason other than support hassles that it couldn't be implemented again, trivially.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,493 Posts
Gold Member
Bl50’s can also be checked via serial nr and ip and all that, not to mention they’re too awkward and heavy to just “steal” Stick out tongue

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,275 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Sep 24 2020 10:00 PM
I can imagine that it was a very annoying feature in some ways and also for me when ever the power would go out and I have to look for the pin codes.

It’s true we can check serial numbers but still. They do work.

I guess it’s hard to steal but it’s also very expensive speakers. I just hope that never will happen.

But some products are easier to carry away and they could benefit from it. Look at apples solution for example that more or less render products completely useless without being removed from find my Mac first. And can also be tracked that way.

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
172 Posts
Gold Member
Agreed. Apple went through many technological iterations on device security. The consequence of hard-won customer service experience. Note that Apple has largely landed on the use of Apple ID credentials + TFA to secure most things. B&O need not re-invent that wheel.
trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
380 Posts
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Fri, Sep 25 2020 12:12 AM

Oh hell no.

I had to go through gyrations to fake-register 2FA to a landline phone without attaching my real persona to, e.g. Homepods (no Siri or home control active, just AirPlay).  Never again.  

If B&O forces implementation of that, no more firmware updates for me, and no more sales of new items for them.  Always voluntary, even if opting out is well-hidden (like avoiding a Google account when setting up the BeoSound 1).

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL