rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 67 Replies | 3 Followers

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member
LuffeDK posted on Mon, Sep 14 2020 10:16 PM

Hi all,

I am a first time poster who have enjoyed and learnt a lot from this forum for a while.

I have recently placed an order for a Harmony, 2xBL50, and 4xBL17.

I am also close to getting my hands on an OPPO udp-205 in good condition.

The equipment will soon arrive and I have a few questions related to the “recommended setup” for music and surround sound:

Music

I have ripped my CD collection (FLAC) and thousands of cd’s are on my NAS. I have a few high-res files on my NAS but I will mostly be listening to actual cd’s in the OPPO and ripped Flac files from my NAS (via DLNA).

I am also subscribing to Deezer Hifi.

How good is the DAC in the Harmony compared to the DAC in the OPPO? - do you recommend I use the dedicated audio out from the OPPO and connect it directly to the BL50 versus using the sound center in the Harmony ?

I have other B&O speakers in other rooms and I am using the Deezer/B&O app for the multi room ”experience”. The above mentioned questions are not related to multi-room - I would like to understand how I get the “best” audio quality when listening to music on the BL50 only.

Video/Surround

For video I will connect the OPPO to the Harmony via HDMI - I will be watching movies/concerts on the Harmony only.

Initially, I planned for a 7.0 type setup but I have seen posts where some of you recommend other setups.

My plan is of course to use the BL50 for front left/right.

Due to cosmetic reasons I plan to position the 4xBL17 above the listening position (angled down towards the listening position):

- one set at the “junction/corner” between the side wall/ceiling (side ceiling left/right)

- one set at the “junction/corner” between the back wall/ceiling behind the listening position (back ceiling left/right)

The living room/TV room is approximately 35sqm and the listening position is located in the centre of the room (almost optimal)

Due to the room layout it is difficult to add additional left/right wall speakers (ear level) but I could add another set of speakers on the back wall (left/right ear level). It could be an additional set of BL17 (I need to buy them before they are discontinued) or 2x Balance if they will support this type of setup in the future. Shape is another option....

Will an additional set of back speakers improve the surround experience noticeably?

I apologise in advance for the long first post! 

PS. After having heard the BL90 I would have liked to go for those but they could not fit into the room. Furthermore, I don’t think they match up with the BL17 for surround.

All Replies

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

As mentioned earlier, I am using an IR cable to control the ATV4. 
I find the control to be lagging and sometimes I need to press the beoremote one button twice before the ATV reacts.
The IR cable is very long - do you recommend I reduce the length or is it the position of the “eye” that I might need to adjust?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,132 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Jan 16 2021 6:46 PM
It shouldn't lag really - I have multiple IR cables controlling various devices, no lag issues

I'd try and find a sweet spot for where the eyes are positioned on the device (ATV in your case). The position can have an effect, up to a point.

But difficult to say without knowing how all your bits are arranged.
Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
2,082 Posts
Bronze Member
I have a aptv4k too and use cec to control it, the only time i have it if it has been on for 5 plus days. A reset cures it for me every time.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipidia:
I have a aptv4k too and use cec to control it, the only time i have it if it has been on for 5 plus days. A reset cures it for me every time.

If I am not mistaken cec is control via hdmi. Earlier I understood IR was recommended?

Maybe I got it all wrong

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
2,082 Posts
Bronze Member
Yes correct, cec is via hdmi and with IR eye is recommended for full functionality. I’ve just been lazy en never put one in.

But i do sometimes have what you describe with my aptv too, quick reset has fix it and i only have it when it’s been on for too long. (5+ days)

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipidia:
Yes correct, cec is via hdmi and with IR eye is recommended for full functionality. I’ve just been lazy en never put one in.

But i do sometimes have what you describe with my aptv too, quick reset has fix it and i only have it when it’s been on for too long. (5+ days)

I played around with the IR eye and it seems like it helped.

What are the functions you don’t have via cec.?

I don’t see I have full functionality with IR either vs using the original ATV4K remote. 

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Has anyone noticed that it seems like the BL50 WiFi performance has been improved significantly?

I am not talking about wisa performance - mine are hardwired to the Harmony.

I have not changed my UniFi AP settings (they are fixed to specific channel, etc.) but my BL50 habe connected at all time during the past month or two.
Earlier they disconnected from the 2.4ghz again and again.  
It might be after the recent firmware update but I am not sure. 
I was considering to connect the BL50 via Ethernet but that would have been a bit tricky but it seems like it is not needed.

LuffeDK
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

Has anyone noticed that it seems like the BL50 WiFi performance has been improved significantly?

I am not talking about wisa performance - mine are hardwired to the Harmony.

I have not changed my UniFi AP settings (they are fixed to specific channel, etc.) but my BL50 habe connected at all time during the past month or two.
Earlier they disconnected from the 2.4ghz again and again.  
It might be after the recent firmware update but I am not sure. 
I was considering to connect the BL50 via Ethernet but that would have been a bit tricky but it seems like it is not needed.

Page 5 of 5 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL