rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 1 Follower

beonsay
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member
beonsay posted on Sun, Sep 6 2020 5:14 PM

Hi guys,

I know the Beocenter 2000 is not looked upon very favourably due to its outsourced manufacturing and comparatively lower quality, but I recently bought one just to get the cartridge for another turntable in need, and thought I'd give a go to restoring the rest of it for fun.

Half of the tape player's buttons had fallen in, it turned out the posts had all broken and fallen away, which will be an easy enough fix.

My main two issues however are:

I can't find a service manual anywhere and I have absolutely no idea what size the belt is supposed to be. The belt had completely disintegrated into gunk and I can't find any information online about what the length for a replacement should be.

Also arising from the lack of a service manual - when I was taking it apart, I unscrewed this switch from somewhere, and cannot for the life of me figure out where it came from.

I am guessing it has something to do with the record button? There is a similar switch screwed in at the other side for the pause button, but there's not a similar place for it to go that I can find:

I know that this was a cheap mechanism from an unnamed Japanese company, but I don't know anything about tape player repair, so hopefully it's a relatively simple fix and maybe a more common build than most Beocords?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,193 Posts
Founder

There's a lot more to belts than size. Elasticity and friction f.e.

Correct belts here.
https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product-category/beocenter/beocenter-2000/

Martin

beonsay
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member
beonsay replied on Thu, Sep 10 2020 11:27 PM

Hi Martin, that's great thank you!

I'll buy them but I'll have to hold off until I can see if I can get the rest working first - by using another belt I had I was able to get the tape player mechanism working at least. and all the buttons seem to be working and getting things moving, however, no sound is coming out. I'm guessing this has something to do with the mysterious switch - do you have any ideas?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,193 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Sep 11 2020 6:37 AM

Did you get the pin for the record/playback switch correctly into the activator arm for the switch when you fitted the circuit-board back onto the tapedeck chassis?

Martin

beonsay
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member
beonsay replied on Fri, Sep 11 2020 12:23 PM

Sorry Martin, I'm not entirely sure what you mean - the little pins from the buttons to make the switches move are all in fine now and the mechanism seems to be working, it's just the lack of any sound being delivered. Do you mean that little switch circled in the picture?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,193 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Sep 11 2020 1:23 PM

No, the pin from the mechanics that activates the record/playback switch on the circuitboard.

It works with the record button.

Check through the hole in the board.

Martin

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,193 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Sep 11 2020 2:16 PM

This hole.

See the steel pin operating the green switch arm.

Martin

beonsay
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi yes, the thin pin is going through the green arm into the hole alright, no issues there. I was mistaken earlier saying everything works, have just rechecked it there and while fast forward and play seem to work fine, rewind does not. Have you any idea where that switch from the first pic goes?

Also thanks so much for all your time helping out a complete novice such as myself, it's very kind and greatly appreciated.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,193 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Sep 11 2020 4:38 PM

Does this help?

Martin

beonsay
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

That's a huge help thank you! I've got it screwed back in the right place now. Still no sound though, apart from a low hum, which changes a bit when the switch is pressed, it's very strange. The vu meter light seems to be responding as if there is sound coming through it though.

beonsay
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Sorry disregard last reply, I just gave it another go and it started working! Didn't do anything different, don't know why it just started working. Only thing that doesn't work now is rewind

beonsay
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Sorry disregard last reply, I just gave it another go and it started working! Didn't do anything different, don't know why it just started working. Only thing that doesn't work now is rewind

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,193 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Sep 11 2020 5:29 PM

All three belts correctly fitted?

Martin

beonsay
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Sorry for the delay there, was trying to fix it but alas.

As it turns out, the belt for the rewind mechanism has also perished. I've been trying to gain access to the two wheels to clean the gunk off and see about fitting a replacement, but I can't find a way to get at them. This system seems much less user-friendly than the home-grown Bang and Olufsen mechanisms

Biggles
Not Ranked
France
6 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Does this help ?

Regards Biggles

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL