rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 1 Follower

BM2400and2
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
BM2400and2 posted on Fri, Aug 21 2020 5:15 PM

this has been sitting unused for years at my now late-grandparents

the treble and balance bulbs were broken so i've replaced them with proper replacements

the 2 big red caps both show around 5000uF out of circuit and look perfect

everything seems to work fine but the volume is very very low, i have to turn it almost full which then gives  hiss, it's clear at low volume but far too quiet to listen to.
balance works, there's not enough bass to tell if that actually works. FM stereo on all 5 channels works. remote control is mint and works perfectly(still dont understand why only P is an option and no T)

i've made a simple cable to connect my phone to the tape input and it's also too quiet to use

before i bin it or sell it for spares does anyone have any ideas? as a 5 year old i loved this machine.

a full re-cap for fun isn't going to happen, many of the replacement caps are now out of production or reduced to 2000 hour lifespans and i'm not "fixing" things that aren't broken just to waste many hours - i'm looking for a targetted repair - seems like it's the output stage, both speaker sets give the same volume and the headphone is quiet too

any ideas? any specific test points so i can narrow it down?

is Dillon still alive?

All Replies

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,715 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Dillen (Martin) is still alive and well. He still keeps B&O enthusiasts supplied with parts.  
I have also restored quite a few Beomaster 1900 and 2400 units. There is no problem replacing capacitors. I believe Martin even has a kit for that.
At the age your Beomaster is you can attempt a targeted approach to the repair but it is likely other things will fail as well. A restoration rather than a repair is what I would recommend.

As for your volume problem, it is too difficult to say with certain what the issue is. I like to get the capacitors replaced along with the lamps. I typically replace the left and right idle current trimmers (for the output amplifier stage). After that the first thing is to make sure the Beomaster power supplies are functioning correctly. Then you can start in on the audio functionality. If there are specific problems at that point you can identify them and fix them.

If nothing traumatic occurred (like a bad power surge) then your transistor and diode components should be okay.

In the end these Beomaster 1900 and 2400 receivers are nice audio components to keep working.

-sonavor

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,144 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Aug 21 2020 8:46 PM

Broken balance slider and/or aging capacitors.
Both are very common and both can be fixed.
Kits here:

https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product-category/beomaster/beomaster-2400-2/

Martin

BM2400and2
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

thanks for your help. (and speedy responses)

BM2400and2
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

3 of the 22uF 50V electrolytic caps on the main board left just beside the PSU, C67 and C225, have obviously sneezed so i'll replace them first as some of those other caps look like a nightmare to get to.

btw the head on the bolt that's recessed and holds the top silver panel on through the board is stripped so if anyone has one please make an ebay listing and i'll buy it. doesn't look essential but would be nice.

BM2400and2
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

replaced the 3 leaking 22uF caps and now the left hand channel doesn't work at all, the right channel is still the same....

BM2400and2
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

cover the postage and you can have it for parts - it all works perfectly including the remote and all pots/faders/bulbs, just the output level is much too low

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,715 Posts
Gold Member

Where are you located? 

I might be interested in restoring it.

You don't have messaging turned on in the forum so I sent you an email.

-sonavor

Keith
Top 500 Contributor
Shrewsbury
137 Posts
Bronze Member
Keith replied on Sat, Aug 29 2020 10:10 AM

Hi,

If you live in the UK, I’d be interested in the unit.

Regards,

Keith.

BM2400and2
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Keith,

I'm in Scotland, I think I've turned messages on but if not can you email me at jlbtv.scot -at- gmail.com so we can exchange details.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL