rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 54 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member
Craig posted on Fri, Jul 10 2020 11:05 AM

Nigel....a member of the site returned a BM4400 to my "workshop" for some attention, I sold this to him some years back and it had stopped receiving FM transmissions......the front end and IF section where fine and I just needed a slight adjustment to the stereo decoder fortunately.....there remains a slight issue with the headphones jack as Nigel reported it didn't work, I haven't got any headphones to check it but the output at the connections to the socket show good on my scope.......however I digress....Nigel also dropped off a BG4004 he picked up at a car boot for £30!   

All Replies

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,118 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Sun, Jul 12 2020 5:54 PM

One down...Laughing

I've just noticed that the cartridge is a SP15 which I don't think would have been originally supplied with the turntable.

If I've researched it properly these were only ever supplied with the Beogram 4000... could be nearly 50 year old...Surprise

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sun, Jul 12 2020 8:19 PM

Nigel
the SP15 belongs to me, your original is on test in a working deck and sounds great 😉 

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,118 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Mon, Jul 13 2020 10:06 AM

It just keeps on getting better!

Thanks Craig

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member
Craig replied on Mon, Jul 13 2020 11:12 AM

I could do with a service manual for the 4004 actually......looking in the products library throws up a 4002 with some references to the 4004......its a little confusing trying to follow, anyone got anything better than this? or am I missing a trick here?

Craig

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member

However.....this small detail aside i have now replaced all the connectors into the main PCB and the current pulled stays reasonable until I replace the connector P8 on PCB8......the current goes high very quickly. Closer inspection of PCB8 reveals a scorched 8D11 diode....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member

Testing reveals a dead short across the diode, however I cant find any reference to this diode in the circuits i am looking at........

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member
Craig replied on Mon, Jul 13 2020 12:22 PM

Ohh....and its a type 5527 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,825 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jul 13 2020 1:01 PM

Shorted 8C14?

Martin

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,322 Posts
Gold Member

I emailed you the Beogram 4004 schematic for that board 8 output board. It shows that remote control circuit you are referencing with the burned out 8D11 diode.

John

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member

Great stuff John!

I can now see I need a IN4148 and our man from Denmark is bang on the money once again.........shorted 8C14 2.2uf tantal, looks like this circuit is only required for remote control of the BG4004 via a hardwired link on the PHONO DIN connector....I believe I have both components to hand so will push on, thanks guys......as always I appreciate your help ;¬)

Craig

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member

Replaced the two offending components and re-installed the PCB8 complete with all connectors...powered up and was pleased to see the unit pulled no more than 10mA at the fuse point.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member

I imagine the 10mA was the power ON diode at the front of the cabinet glowing......put the platter and belt back in place and run a disc and was rewarded with what I think is a flawless operation..........

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,759 Posts
Silver Member

Hooked up to a BM4000 and the sound is excellent too......went after a 45rpm test and this was equally flawless, I think.....the pickup dropped nicely onto the 45 disc and played...however it didn't change speed automatically like the BG4000 would and I had to change speed manually...still worked fine but as I have no user manual I dont know if this is normal operation or not?

filip_kbh
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
42 Posts
Bronze Member

It’s not. The speed should change to 45 automatically. 

filip_kbh
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
42 Posts
Bronze Member

It’s not. The speed should change to 45 automatically. 

Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL