rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 36 Replies | 2 Followers

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
88 Posts
Bronze Member
Austin posted on Mon, Jun 22 2020 3:49 PM

I have a few questions about the BeoSound Moment.  I’m seeing a few used ones around and I’m curious about purchasing one. I can connect it to my BeoLab 17s

No AirPlay 2, correct? Just Bluetooth and multi room?

Is there Wisa built in or do you still need a beolab transmitter 1?

Will the Moment still receive software updates or is it not supported anymore from B&O?

Thoughts about it’s relevance in 2020?

All Replies

andybandy
Top 500 Contributor
114 Posts
Bronze Member

Moment. 

No airplay 2, bluetooth and BeoLink ( tunein, deezer and DLNA built in)

Wisa built in yes, no need for transmitter 1. 

Don´t expect more software update of Beosound moment, since its EOL more then 1 year ago. 

Beosound core and new remote (sept?) , and skip Wisa, cable your beolab 17 to get a nice working setup instead :)

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
88 Posts
Bronze Member
Austin replied on Sat, Jun 27 2020 1:42 PM

Interesting. 

Why was it such a product failure? Usually B&O supports products for many years. The Moment in not that old. 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,482 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Jun 27 2020 4:37 PM
Austin:

Interesting.

Why was it such a product failure? Usually B&O supports products for many years. The Moment in not that old.

The initial Software was really bad.

I bought one upon launch and had it a few years.

Think the idea of collecting all your music including eg ripped CDs on a NAS in one place with a user interface that was not a phone, was a nice idea.

The later much improved firmware made me very happy with the Moment.

However, I realized I used to little and sold it.

Think lack of native Spotify support was one reason for failure. Another that few people consume music that way. Most people just trigger playlists from the phone and are happy with that. The premium price point is another reason.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

James1980
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member

I love mine, it looks great, sure it could be better functionality but it’s stable now and does what it’s meant to do. Major plus for me is the line in so I can multi room stream the Beogram that’s connected to it. 

Beovision 10, Beoplay V1, Beolab 9, Beolab 4,  Beosound 2, Beosound Moment , Beoplay M3, Beogram 1700

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,431 Posts
Gold Member
James1980:

I love mine, it looks great, sure it could be better functionality but it’s stable now and does what it’s meant to do. Major plus for me is the line in so I can multi room stream the Beogram that’s connected to it.

Same here. I’m missing the MoodWheel (no longer working as initially designed), hopefully B&O will fix it or find an alternative.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Netherlands
479 Posts
Gold Member
I really like my Moment to! For me it is still the best way to play my music all around the house. The issue with the moodwheel is very annoying because that is the real USP for the Moment. Just press a colour of the Moodwheel and it will play anything from your music collection only to everything but your collection!

I try to motivate B&O Support for a fixture but not that sure it will be fixed.

My biggest wish is a Moment MK2, with a little extra tweaking and a more modern OS it would make one hell of a music server.

Be aware that the tablets are notorious of dying so buy the Moment cheap! Count on €500 for an replacement tablet. My guess is that is the main reason B&O stopped with the Moment. No more spare parts and they need certain amount of stock parts to keep service them for a few years after EOL.

BV Eclipse 55 Brass - BL 18 Brass - BL 19 Brass - BL 3 White - BS Moment - BS 2 Brass - BV Horizon 48 - BS3000 - BS 3200 - BS Essence - BL 4000 - V1 40 Black - V1 40 White - BLC NL/ML - H6 -  H4 - E8 Motion - A8 Earphone - Beolit 12 - Beolit 15 - Beoplay A1 Green - Beoplay A3 White

mm08642
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Bronze Member

I liked the design and concept of the Beosound Moment. Combining local music and streaming music content in one device with an enjoyable and easy userexperience. Unfortunately Bang&Olufsen never managed to get it working fluently. Like so often B&O gave up and focused on new products, leaving customers back with an technical immature product.

When you are looking for software  that does a really good job combining local and streaming content flawlessness and enjoyable l strongly suggest Roon Labs.

benjnz
Top 500 Contributor
86 Posts
Bronze Member
benjnz replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 9:38 AM

I still like mine, even though after moving it's only taken me a year to get around to making it work reliably! Big Smile

Liking it even more now its working with Deezer Hifi and playing FLAC from there.

Yes there is the issue with the mood wheel on my own stuff, but still works with Deezer, so still a nice way to find new music.

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
88 Posts
Bronze Member
Austin replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 1:55 PM

Great information!

I guess if it has Bluetooth then it’s still can stream any music service from your phone. 

Does anyone know if it displays album artwork when you stream Bluetooth streaming from your phone? 

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,431 Posts
Gold Member
Austin:

Does anyone know if it displays album artwork when you stream Bluetooth streaming from your phone?

Just tried with an iPhone and two different music apps, only Bluetooth is displayed on the JukeBox screen

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
88 Posts
Bronze Member
Austin replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 2:17 PM

That’s disappointing! Guess I’ll just keep it on the wood front. At least that’s pretty. Ha.  

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
201 Posts
Gold Member

Hi, I did open a ticket regarding the issue with covers and meta data not being provided for DLNA related media and as well asked about the Moodwheel and this is what I received today:

Our technical team has reviewed the information you provided and has provided a response to your issues:
1. Album covers are being provided by a 3rd party companies and if they are missing, will mean they are no longer working with B&O. So unfortunately this is not a feature that will be fixed with future updates.

2. For the moodwheel issue, this is something our technical team is aware of, and are currently working on to fix. Unfortunately we do not have a concrete date of the fix, but please be assured it is being worked on.

For issue#1 I asked them to re-consider or at least to provide alternative solution where users could either have subscription based services or utilise other freely available solutions. So for issue#2 the moodwheel that seems that this door hasn't been closed yet.

On the topic of software improvements, last year I had issues with stuttering audio as a few others had as well and got B&O support to push out Soundheart software version 2.2.31594 which got ride of the stuttering audio. What is the current confirmed version that is being considered stable; still the 2.2.31594?

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,431 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav:

1. Album covers are being provided by a 3rd party companies and if they are missing, will mean they are no longer working with B&O. So unfortunately this is not a feature that will be fixed with future updates.

Not sure I understand this point. Can you clarify?

Deezer metadata are hosted by Deezer and are generally available.

DLNA metadata are managed by the user itself, including album cover. They are not fetched from a third party provider, Gracenote with two exceptions: artist’s image and track’s mood (used by MoodWheel).

When DLNA Expert mode is not used, artist’s image exposed in the artist’s tile, or in the now playing screen, is searched first in Gracenote and if not found is replaced by an artist’s album cover if present.

When Expert mode is used, artist’s image is first searched in user’s DLNA server, if configured, and if not found it is searched in Gracenote. Unfortunately there is no fallback to artist’s album cover, an enhancement I have asked a while ago to cover a Gracenote missing image .... I was already anticipating apparently.

My Soundheart version is 2.2.29827

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
201 Posts
Gold Member

My issue us that none of my dlna related media show album cover or artist image after I performed reset of the Moment and hence why I open a ticket. I believed that Gracenote was failover if teh dlna server didn't provide.... guess I was wrong on that one. But, that is good news which means it can be solved if it's not a new/old bug in Moment.

About the Expert mode for album and artist images; is that pulled from the audio files or from the folder and what is the naming standard then? Might be the reason why it's not working on my side as it should.

The support did confirm that Soundheart version 2.2.31594 is the latest and considered as the most stable.

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL