rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 39 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey posted on Tue, Jun 16 2020 11:13 AM

Loving my new LG GX OLED 4K panel. Looking at getting a 65" for another room.

Obviously it looks at it's best with the best source. ie. 4K is so good I can't even explain how good.

With this in mind, tempted to get a 4K Blu-ray player. I still have an old Oppo 103 standard Blu-ray. Which would would you recommend which is reasonable value?

All Replies

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Jun 21 2020 12:55 PM

LG Blu-ray player arrived, setup Saturday. Watched The Revenant.

Picture was amazing. Absolutely flawless. Good to see no ads at all - straight in to the film. 

The LG Blu-ray player was a wise idea for the LG GX TV as I knew the LG remote would control it out of the box.

My only issue is, bizarrely I'm still not convinced about the Stage. I don't think the Stage is the issue, it's because I'm *so* used to a wider sound from surround speakers, a sub and so on, sound purely from a single source (Stage) just sounds like it's trying to do too much from one unit. It sounds like it's coming from one unit and struggles to separate some of the movie audio. I can't get used to it. Feels like a big downgrade in audio experience.

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
114 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Sun, Jun 21 2020 1:10 PM

Interesting, its just the reason why i have waited to change the Avant,  ok the picture is not great in 4K but with additional speakers the sound is so good.

I have come to  the  conclusion that i will have to accept downgraded video for enhanced audio as i am not prepared to pay for the eclipse sound centre v2 as that seems an ill thought out mess and I cant get myself to part with a 3 year old panel for the eclipse- plus the fact I dont like the style of it.  Horizon makes a big TV look HUGE

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,127 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jun 21 2020 1:40 PM

moxxey:

LG Blu-ray player arrived, setup Saturday. Watched The Revenant.

Picture was amazing. Absolutely flawless. Good to see no ads at all - straight in to the film. 

The LG Blu-ray player was a wise idea for the LG GX TV as I knew the LG remote would control it out of the box.

My only issue is, bizarrely I'm still not convinced about the Stage. I don't think the Stage is the issue, it's because I'm *so* used to a wider sound from surround speakers, a sub and so on, sound purely from a single source (Stage) just sounds like it's trying to do too much from one unit. It sounds like it's coming from one unit and struggles to separate some of the movie audio. I can't get used to it. Feels like a big downgrade in audio experience.

Thanks for that feedback, and it resonates with me.

A Stage + GX would work for me in my bedroom, but absolutely not in my lounge. Like yourself, I am used to a big wide enveloping sound and there is zero chance the Stage would suffice for my lounge. 

I'd hope the Eclipse SC can be attached to a GX (65 or 77) in a neat fashion somewhere down the road, allowing me to use my BL speakers. But I'm not sure if that will work - if a GX is flush mounted to the wall, then can an Eclipse SC really be attached to it?

So for now I dont feel the combination of a 12-65 (I still love the picture) and the audio experience with my Beolabs is more than enough for me.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Jun 21 2020 2:42 PM

Sandyb:

So for now I dont feel the combination of a 12-65 (I still love the picture) and the audio experience with my Beolabs is more than enough for me.

You'd love the GX even more. Way way way better than the 12-65. We're kidding ourselves the 12-65 has a better image. I'm stunned by how good the GX performs. Far better than I expected with the right source - a 4K or top quality HD image looks stunning.

I agree the colours of the BV12-65 were a struggle to beat, but the clarity and fine detail of the GX is something to be admired. None of the silly bright sharpness you used to get on an LED panel (like my BV11-40), either. The GX looks natural.

It's so good, I'm getting the 65" for the other room. That's coming next week.

But, yes, the Stage. I don't know what to say about it as so many people rate it. I do think it's the fact the entire sound comes out of a single unit and not as effectively as, say, the A9. There's something about the sound which leaves me frustrated and constantly playing with the B&O app to improve (widen) the source and failing. I'm rarely happy with the result.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,127 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jun 21 2020 5:51 PM

I dont doubt that the GX image is pretty special.

Guess all I am saying / thinking is that for my main room I'm not prepared to compromise my audio experience (not overall control) while my video is still very good.

What will you use for audio in your main room with your GX 65?

moxxey:

Sandyb:

You'd love the GX even more. Way way way better than the 12-65. We're kidding ourselves the 12-65 has a better image. I'm stunned by how good the GX performs. Far better than I expected with the right source - a 4K or top quality HD image looks stunning.

I agree the colours of the BV12-65 were a struggle to beat, but the clarity and fine detail of the GX is something to be admired. None of the silly bright sharpness you used to get on an LED panel (like my BV11-40), either. The GX looks natural.

It's so good, I'm getting the 65" for the other room. That's coming next week.

But, yes, the Stage. I don't know what to say about it as so many people rate it. I do think it's the fact the entire sound comes out of a single unit and not as effectively as, say, the A9. There's something about the sound which leaves me frustrated and constantly playing with the B&O app to improve (widen) the source and failing. I'm rarely happy with the result.

Gregg
Top 500 Contributor
Colorado USA
143 Posts
Gold Member
Gregg replied on Mon, Jun 22 2020 5:04 AM

I purchased an xbox one for my 1 Gen Avant 55 to play 4k and 3D blurays. The picture quality is phenomenal. I got the xbox because I know that Microsoft will continue to support it, it has many streaming services available, and it is the only one on the market that loads discs vertically, which allows you to install it on the wall or on the back of the Avant 55.

Gregg
Top 500 Contributor
Colorado USA
143 Posts
Gold Member
Gregg replied on Mon, Jun 22 2020 5:04 AM

I purchased an xbox one for my 1 Gen Avant 55 to play 4k and 3D blurays. The picture quality is phenomenal. I got the xbox because I know that Microsoft will continue to support it, it has many streaming services available, and it is the only one on the market that loads discs vertically, which allows you to install it on the wall or on the back of the Avant 55.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jun 22 2020 9:41 AM

Sandyb:

Haven't thought that far forward yet. I still haven't fully setup the 55" yet. Every time Sky come around to install the new dish required for Q it's raining and they refuse to go on the roof. This week will be fifth time lucky.

But I don't watch many movies. Mostly sport and TV, so luckily the Stage excels for these. It's only movies where I found it a little frustrating.

Could you connect some WISA B&O speakers potentially?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,127 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jun 22 2020 11:18 AM

I guess with the LG WISA dongle yes you can.

Seems to stop very far short of the audio flexibility that has been / is built into Beovisions past and present.

And remember the Stage is not WISA.

With the LG dongle, you can send audio to  bunch of WISA speakers, but not a combination of WISA and wired.

moxxey:

Sandyb:

Haven't thought that far forward yet. I still haven't fully setup the 55" yet. Every time Sky come around to install the new dish required for Q it's raining and they refuse to go on the roof. This week will be fifth time lucky.

But I don't watch many movies. Mostly sport and TV, so luckily the Stage excels for these. It's only movies where I found it a little frustrating.

Could you connect some WISA B&O speakers potentially?

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jun 22 2020 1:04 PM

Sandyb:

Seems to stop very far short of the audio flexibility that has been / is built into Beovisions past and present.

True. But a lot cheaper. I don't have too many complaints. Completely blown away with the picture quality, even the built-in speaker is better than I expected (for regular TV, I often struggle tell whether the audio is from the TV or Stage as the Stage occasionally doesn't turn on with the TV) and I love the idea of the LG point remote, although the design leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd prefer the same panel on an Eclipse 100%. But the Eclipse still uses a daft 2017 panel and is still priced starting at £7000. For any TV using a 3-year-old panel, you'd think it would be about £5000 now to clear through stock and get rid of the old panels (ie. if I bought a 2017 OLED in 2020 I'd expect to pay about £500 versus £2200 for the GX 55").

Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL