rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 39 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey posted on Tue, Jun 16 2020 11:13 AM

Loving my new LG GX OLED 4K panel. Looking at getting a 65" for another room.

Obviously it looks at it's best with the best source. ie. 4K is so good I can't even explain how good.

With this in mind, tempted to get a 4K Blu-ray player. I still have an old Oppo 103 standard Blu-ray. Which would would you recommend which is reasonable value?

All Replies

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,952 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 12:11 PM

With Samsung and Oppo out of the market, our choices are getting limited. I've been really happy with my Sony UBP-X700 UHD player. B&O created a PUC for me for it that controls everything and even uses the Home and Info buttons of the BeoRemote One. It has Dolby Vision and SACD. It also has dual HDMI connections to be able to send sound to non-4K BeoSystems.

I've found that some of my 1080p blu-rays no longer play well in my Oppo 103 but they do in the Sony.

However, I find that DVDs do NOT play well in the Sony, but they do play well in the Oppo 103.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
746 Posts
Bronze Member

I would recommend trying buying on Itunes,

Almost same quality, but much cheaper and much faster and convenient

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
3,527 Posts
Bronze Member
Even on my cheap Blu ray player, the sound especially is far better than iTunes 4K content.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
370 Posts
Gold Member

Oppo UDP-203 is fantastic machine.But,since production ceased,their price doubled on ebay.Two years ago I was lucky to get brand new one from ebay uk  for 780 €.If you can find used one at convenient price,go for it.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,127 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 2:45 PM

Isn't the Panasonic 820 supposed to be the no brainer choice? (from what many reviewers say / said).

I have. suspicion that the Pioneers produce better audio (marginal, but may matter for a big setup), but they're v expensive.

the Panasonic at 300 quid seems to be the go to, now that its price has fallen fro launch.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,952 Posts
Bronze Member

I've had so many DVD and Blu-Ray players over the years that I'm accepted them as having limited durability -- like tires on my car. My Oppo blu-ray player proved to be no different as it has started giving me problems. To me, it's just better to pay less than what I did for an Oppo and replace them every few years. Most discs these days come with a digital copy for iTunes/MoviesAnywhere for casual viewing. However, when it comes it a big cinematic experience, I like to have my discs that have better sound.

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
145 Posts
Bronze Member
kawo replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 5:28 PM

Had the same question just recently, Panasonic good choice if no BD Audio/SACD or DVD Audio required. If you want High Res Audio from Disc, Sony is the best choice if you want a new one from the store. Only downside of the Sony (I have the 800m2) is not out switching for Dolby Vision (which almost all other player have, only Sony knows why not).

Comments like go for streaming are not helpful if you have tons of discs and you want the best audio quality, also concert/music content is harder to find online.

The only streaming service/download with full audio is the Kaleidescape store for their devices. Cool stuff but big budget and only available in the US and UK. Would be my first choice...

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 8:58 PM

Emil Jensen:

iTunes streamed 4K will never hit the bitrate of a Blu-ray 4K.

"Overall, Apple TV+ streams at approximately half that of a UHD Blu-ray disc"

That's fairly significant. On top of this, the audio quality doesn't get close to a Blu-ray. You get uncompressed audio from a Blu-ray! 

Lastly, iTunes 4K is approximately 8GB. A Blu-ray 4K DVD is usually 66GB! And those extra GBs is the uncompressed audio. I agree that the image quality won't differ too much from the disc version, but the audio is hugely different.

You cannot beat the raw data from a Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray disc. The entire point of spending the big bucks on these top-of-the-range TVs is that we get the best experience on the market. Not compromise to save a few bucks or hassle. Hence the reason for asking for a UHD player recommendation!

Obviously the big downside of 4K UHD discs is the cost. Some are incredibly priced. You can buy a Blu-ray discounted for £5 and the UHD version is still £20!

But on the flipside, so many films are still not streaming in 4K on iTunes - things like Django Unchained or Hateful Eight. All available on UHD, but HD-only as a stream.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 8:59 PM

Sandyb:

Isn't the Panasonic 820 supposed to be the no brainer choice? (from what many reviewers say / said).

In the end, I've gone for the LG UBK90 4K UHD Player - primarily as it works seamlessly with my LG GX, the remote and, I'd assume/home, the BeoRemote.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,127 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 9:24 PM

Its amazing the price difference isn't it?

While discs are clearly a shrinking format, they will remain highly priced as they transition to a niche enthusiast only format.

I'm not a big collector of discs, but having only a 12-65 and regular BluRay player, I've picked up a decent amount of my favourite films on Blu-ray for 7-8 pounds each, once their initial release window is out of the way.  Joker on reg Blu-ray is still 14-15 pounds, but will drop soon enough ( I can wait) to 8 quid. 

UHD discs though will, I think, remain quite expensive.

moxxey:

Emil Jensen:

iTunes streamed 4K will never hit the bitrate of a Blu-ray 4K.

"Overall, Apple TV+ streams at approximately half that of a UHD Blu-ray disc"

That's fairly significant. On top of this, the audio quality doesn't get close to a Blu-ray. You get uncompressed audio from a Blu-ray! 

Lastly, iTunes 4K is approximately 8GB. A Blu-ray 4K DVD is usually 66GB! And those extra GBs is the uncompressed audio. I agree that the image quality won't differ too much from the disc version, but the audio is hugely different.

You cannot beat the raw data from a Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray disc. The entire point of spending the big bucks on these top-of-the-range TVs is that we get the best experience on the market. Not compromise to save a few bucks or hassle. Hence the reason for asking for a UHD player recommendation!

Obviously the big downside of 4K UHD discs is the cost. Some are incredibly priced. You can buy a Blu-ray discounted for £5 and the UHD version is still £20!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 10:18 PM

Sandyb:

Its amazing the price difference isn't it?

It's just to do with two things really:

1) Preparation of a UHD disc takes some serious work as there's so much data involved, so they'll want to recoup these costs

2) Replication. Hugely expensive. Those 66GB HD DVDs aren't 'off the shelf' so cost some serious money

According to this, regular DL 50GB Blu-Ray prices start a $3.95: https://www.blankmediaprinting.com/blu-ray-printing for 7500 units! The 66GB and 100GB capacity 4K UHD Blu-Ray discs must be even more expensive.

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
521 Posts
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 10:18 PM
moxxey:

In the end, I've gone for the LG UBK90 4K UHD Player - primarily as it works seamlessly with my LG GX, the remote and, I'd assume/home, the BeoRemote.

Unfortunately the beoremote one does not work with sky q.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 11:01 PM

vlohjr1:
moxxey:

In the end, I've gone for the LG UBK90 4K UHD Player - primarily as it works seamlessly with my LG GX, the remote and, I'd assume/home, the BeoRemote.

Unfortunately the beoremote one does not work with sky q.

Oh no! Didn’t realise that. 

I quite like the LG pointer remote, but wish it was better designed. Shouldn’t look this poor on the top-of-the-range GX. 

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
521 Posts
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 11:25 PM
moxxey:

Oh no! Didn’t realise that.

I quite like the LG pointer remote, but wish it was better designed. Shouldn’t look this poor on the top-of-the-range GX.

Just to clarify that my set up is with a C9 55 panel and no matter which way I tried couldn’t get it to work. BOcare confirmed as much.

I miss single remote control much more than I thought so much so that I am considering not to renew sky q when the contract finishes and move to now TV app (not streaming in 4K though) and freeview. I mostly watch catch up tv anyway.

Avenger endgame on the Disney+ app is simply stunning.
Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL