Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 0 Followers

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member
dahiyas posted on Tue, Jun 16 2020 6:07 AM

Hi,

I have a BC9500 whose tape drive is misbehaving. The play function works perfectly. The belt seems to be fine. The plastic pieces all look fine. The mechanism moves smoothly if pushed/rolled with the finger.

Problems:

1. After switching on the system if I press A.TAPE, the Capstan Motor switches on, even without a cassette. I can see the flywheel spinning continuously. switching to CD does not have any impact. I can put a tape and play and everything is good. I can switch side by pressing TURN. No issues. Pressing STOP disengages the head but the capstan motor is still on. Is this normal behavior ?

2. FWD/REW functions doesn't work at all. On pressing FWD/REW There is a initial hum of motor and then clicking sound and nothing.

I removed the tape and pressed the micro-switches and if I FWD/REW then the roller turns for couple of seconds and then  switches to other roller turning for couple of seconds and then stops. But with a tape in, nothing except the humming. 

Any guidance on resolving the above will be appreciated !!

Thanks.

All Replies

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
709 Posts
Silver Member
Lee replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 7:02 AM
dahiyas:

Hi,

I have a BC9500 whose tape drive is misbehaving. The play function works perfectly. The belt seems to be fine. The plastic pieces all look fine. The mechanism moves smoothly if pushed/rolled with the finger.

Problems:

1. After switching on the system if I press A.TAPE, the Capstan Motor switches on, even without a cassette. I can see the flywheel spinning continuously. switching to CD does not have any impact. I can put a tape and play and everything is good. I can switch side by pressing TURN. No issues. Pressing STOP disengages the head but the capstan motor is still on. Is this normal behavior ?

Completely normal behaviour.

2. FWD/REW functions doesn't work at all. On pressing FWD/REW There is a initial hum of motor and then clicking sound and nothing.

I removed the tape and pressed the micro-switches and if I FWD/REW then the roller turns for couple of seconds and then switches to other roller turning for couple of seconds and then stops. But with a tape in, nothing except the humming.

The tape deck would do that without a tape in. It relies on the movement of the opposite spindle to determine when to stop and change direction.

The lack of RW and FF will be caused by a slipping belt. Make sure you get the correct replacement. Don’t get a cheap poorly fitting one off eBay. Too tight will damage the motors bearing and too slack won’t work.

Member Dillen can supply the right one.

Any guidance on resolving the above will be appreciated !!

Thanks.

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

Thanks Lee.

Yes, that's what I am trying to do. I need belts for a BeoCord 5000...now trying to find if I need other parts for the 9500. Send in one request to Martin instead of batches.

9500 - The belt seems to be fine as the playback function works ok. As per my understanding, the FWD/REW function is handled by the motor and the clutch. No belts involved. 

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

Martin,

Thanks for the Belts. I am happy to report that the BeoCord 5000 is back to life.

But the BC9500 is still an issue, even after putting the new belt. The FWD/REW functions are still not working.

Here is what is happening -

1. Pressing FWD/REW moves the head from normal position to play position (engaged to tape).

2. Tape plays for 1 sec or so and then pauses. Even if keep the FWD/REW button pressed nothing happens.

3. Pressing FWD/REW again, disengages the head and it goes back to normal position.

4.Pressing FWD/REW again, repeats step 1.

In all this, pressing A.TAPE/Go works fine and the tape plays without any issues.

As mentioned earlier, without the tape in if I press the micro-switches at the bottom and press FWD/REW, one of the the black roller spins and then switches to other side and stops.

See video - https://youtu.be/kgFQRn5tTPw

A quick glance and nothing seems to be broken or out of shape.

Any guidance on next steps in troubleshooting ?

Thanks !!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,841 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jul 11 2020 1:41 PM

Video seems to be set to private.
I can't watch it,

Always a good idea to clean and relubricate the tape reels, particularly if they don't rotate freely (with brakes released).
Take off the tiny locking washers (carefully!), and lift off the tape reels. note the small round bronze plate inside (vibration stop).
Clean and add a little white lithium grease. 

Martin

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

Cleaning and lithium grease done...no change. 

Video should work now...

In normal operations, does the tape head engage for FWD/REW operations ?

In play mode, makes sense if you are searching for the end but without play mode engaged ?

Thanks !!
dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member
Removed the board under the two flywheels. Should it be like this ?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,841 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jul 13 2020 12:44 PM

That board must be cleaned.

Did you replace the pinch rollers?
If they are too big, they will pinch the tape up against the capstan, also during wind/rewind where it's not supposed to do it.
The tape is engaged to the tapeheads while winding/rewinding in order to listen for pauses between tracks - but the pinch roller should not
contact the capstan unless playing.

Martin

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

No Martin, I haven’t replaced anything on the tape mechanism except the belt.

Another video with a see through, no tape, head-cleaning tape. - https://youtu.be/zxT45n2ZKIs

Same result.

I am getting 4.2V on the wind motor. Not sure if that's good?

The board is cleaner than before.

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member
Can anyone confirm if the alignment of the big gear is ok ?

Thanks !!

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

I gave up on trying to fix it. Found a BC9000 tape mechanism + PCB 20 for 40 USD. The seller confirmed it's in working order. Hope to get it by this weekend.

Can anyone confirm:

1. If the mechanism is the same on BC9000 and BC9500 ? 

2. Should I replace the PCB + tape mechanism or just the tape mechanism ?

Thanks !!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,841 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Jul 21 2020 6:56 AM

The tape controller has all the adjustments for the drive. They are calibrated together.
Check the drive type and the part# of the tape controller and compare to yours.

Martin

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

Thanks Martin. I will provide an update when I receive the board/Mech later this week. Will keep my fingers crossed Smile.

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

So I got the board. Unfortunately the numbers are different. While both look the same single belt version.

I tried the replacement board and tape mechanism. FWD/REW worked. Play started the tape but no sound. So I assume not compatible. Back to sqaure one.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !!

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

I did a quick look at at service manuals for BC9000 and BC9500. And PCB20 looks to be using the exact same parts. So either they are wired differently or it's possible that there is a problem on the BC9000 board.

So with the BC9000 PCB20 & tape mechanism - Play/Fwd/Rew all work) but I am not getting any sound on play. It's possible that there is a issue on PCB20 or maybe the board is not compatible with BC9500.

Martin - Any guidance on next step should I give up on BC9000 board or there is hope ?

Thanks !!

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL