Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

LG GX + Stage is here, some initial feedback

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 76 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey posted on Mon, Jun 15 2020 9:19 AM

Firstly, photo to follow. Not quite fully set it all up yet.

LG GX 55" + Stage + BeoRemote arrived Saturday. First impressions? Picture quality is simply stunning, especially for 4K-sourced movies and content. HD looks good, too.

Surprisingly the TV has a fairly decent speaker. Indeed, it's so decent sometimes I can't tell if the Stage is on or the TV speaker when watching something like the news and other regular TV.

Apps are good. So good I've realised I won't need the Apple TV. You get the Apple TV app, Netflix, Prime Video and other apps I use.

But, some less good news...

- Stage sometimes doesn't turn on with the TV. Anyone have any ideas on this? Very frustrating.

- BeoRemote, as expected, doesn't work with the TV yet. No access to the B&O app on the LG Appstore.

- No UK catch-up apps! No iPlayer, no All 4, ITV Hub, nothing. Incredible.

All in all though, thoroughly recommended.

All Replies

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Jul 23 2020 10:00 AM

Emil Jensen:

The Stage just won the soundbar of the year in T3, and in my opinion the design, and craftmanship is much better than any other on the market.

I just wish it would work 100%. The occasional pauses appear to have been sorted out since the latest 2.0 Stage software upgrade, but the soundbar still (and very often) doesn't turn on with the TV. You have to turn the TV on and off again to get the Stage to turn on. This is very frustrating.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,663 Posts
Gold Member
Turn quick start off in the panel! It’s an lg thing where it doesn’t fully initialise all outputs when it’s in the sort of sleep state. C9 is fully functional but i suspect it’s because of the app overriding some of the LG things.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

ToeKneeAus
Not Ranked
45 Posts
Bronze Member

I know everything has slowed down at the moment - but is there any movement on the software upgrade of the TV GX/CX software to work with the Stage yet ?

Be interested to know when its available - then I might flick my CX 55 over to be controlled from a B&O remote (not a fan of the LG magic controller).

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Aug 3 2020 10:13 PM

Mikipidia:
Turn quick start off in the panel! It’s an lg thing where it doesn’t fully initialise all outputs when it’s in the sort of sleep state. C9 is fully functional but i suspect it’s because of the app overriding some of the LG things.

It's not an LG issue, it's the Stage. Since the Stage 2.0 software update it's completely fine now! Never had the issue at all, plus the intermittent pauses you'd hear in movies has gone, too!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Aug 3 2020 10:17 PM

ToeKneeAus:

I know everything has slowed down at the moment - but is there any movement on the software upgrade of the TV GX/CX software to work with the Stage yet ?

No, nothing. I asked my dealer for an update and he replied:

"RE software update – it’s annoying, also effects our Harmony sales as we can’t utilise the GX without doing a rogue update, which we don’t advise."

As for things slowing down, this shouldn't affect software development as developer's can and do work from home, plus the support is already built in to the C9, so it really can't be that hard to add this support to the CX/GX!

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,663 Posts
Gold Member
Good news! Have you downloaded the app yet? I think it’s in the new store now for the CXBig Smile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Aug 4 2020 10:16 AM

Mikipidia:
Good news! Have you downloaded the app yet? I think it’s in the new store now for the CXBig Smile

It is indeed. You can now ignore my above comment! Big Smile

ToeKneeAus
Not Ranked
45 Posts
Bronze Member

Now that the software is out to allow b&O to co-exist with LG CX/GX - time for me to follow up and see if B&O Melbourne will supply me a 55” soundcentre to plug into my 55 cx.

Interesting , the language on the B&O app on the LG store says ...”The Bang & Olufsen TV app is an application that seamlessly integrates your Bang and Olufsen Soundcenter with your LGTV allowing you to operate your system via Bang & Olufsen (service) via Beo remote one.”

I’ll need to resolve the mounting - but it allows me to continue to use my lab6000’s and have an awesome centre speaker.

fingers crossed.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,663 Posts
Gold Member
Yes, harmony and stage. With eclipse, what ever works or not is on you and if you have issues you’re on your own. Just fyi

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member

And it works! B&O app on the GX, BeoRemote paired and it's controlling the GX!

That's the good news. The less good news is that it's going to take some getting used too. I'm quite used to the superb LG pointer remote.

Also, no Sky Q control at all. Which means you can't even change channels on the BeoRemote. Huge shame. You have to pick up the Sky Q remote just to change to another channel.

But, it's working! BeoRemote control over the GX + Stage.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,663 Posts
Gold Member
Maybe a silly question but do they (sky q) not do any kind of CI+ module or do they have an app?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,847 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm still unfamiliar with the BR integration with the Stage + LG combination, but one must ask why it does nothing with the Sky Q.

Does the LG Magic Remote control the Q box to any degree?

Do keep us posted if anything changes over coming months - as it stands, it does seem to somewhat defeat the purpose of having a BR One, especially for something as fundamental as controlling a very mainstream set top box.  

moxxey:

And it works! B&O app on the GX, BeoRemote paired and it's controlling the GX!

That's the good news. The less good news is that it's going to take some getting used too. I'm quite used to the superb LG pointer remote.

Also, no Sky Q control at all. Which means you can't even change channels on the BeoRemote. Huge shame. You have to pick up the Sky Q remote just to change to another channel.

But, it's working! BeoRemote control over the GX + Stage.

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
209 Posts
Bronze Member
Have to say, the BROne has been packed away. The SkyQ remote just works and it even understands my Somerset accent every time!

Now if Range Rover could employ the same voice tech I would be very happy!
Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,663 Posts
Gold Member
I guess the sky box doesn’t do CEC? and the stage doesn’t have puc control.

Was it controllable via the LG remote?

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Aug 4 2020 10:10 PM

Mikipidia:

Was it controllable via the LG remote?

No, not in the slightest.

Someone said on here that the Sky Q box is deliberately non-operational from another remote. Sky designed it this way. The regular Sky box is, but not the Q. Perplexingly, Sky Q does show on the LG as a controllable device, but the LG magic remote does nothing when trying to control it.

Page 4 of 6 (77 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL