Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

LG GX + Stage is here, some initial feedback

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 76 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey posted on Mon, Jun 15 2020 9:19 AM

Firstly, photo to follow. Not quite fully set it all up yet.

LG GX 55" + Stage + BeoRemote arrived Saturday. First impressions? Picture quality is simply stunning, especially for 4K-sourced movies and content. HD looks good, too.

Surprisingly the TV has a fairly decent speaker. Indeed, it's so decent sometimes I can't tell if the Stage is on or the TV speaker when watching something like the news and other regular TV.

Apps are good. So good I've realised I won't need the Apple TV. You get the Apple TV app, Netflix, Prime Video and other apps I use.

But, some less good news...

- Stage sometimes doesn't turn on with the TV. Anyone have any ideas on this? Very frustrating.

- BeoRemote, as expected, doesn't work with the TV yet. No access to the B&O app on the LG Appstore.

- No UK catch-up apps! No iPlayer, no All 4, ITV Hub, nothing. Incredible.

All in all though, thoroughly recommended.

All Replies

ToeKneeAus
Not Ranked
45 Posts
Bronze Member

Its good to hear your thoughts on the GX , I've just got my CX (replacing a BV7-40 Mk3) and now its sitting proud on the BV7 floor stand thanks to STBrackets.

• Yes - the speaker in the TV is quite good for its size - I do find changing the sound setting (from AI Pro or Cinema to Voices ) is needed soemtmes to make voice more distinct - otherwise they get a bit lost.
  • The picture quality is amazing - but i guess i was coming from a low bar with the BV7 :-). SD isn't too bad - but i'll always veer towards HD or better if possible 
  • The apps on Web OS are pretty comprehensive here in Aus - but I cant find one for Channel 10's "10 Play" so i may end up keeping an Apple TV attached for that (just in case). 

Still trying to decide about a Stage or standalone eclipse Sound Center - I guess i'll be waiting till the Stage works with the GX/CX before being able to try it out in home. 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,433 Posts
Gold Member
moxxey:

It’s a black TV on a wall. Visualise it.

I was thinking more about the stage placement.

Beovision 10, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jun 17 2020 11:33 AM

Chris Townsend:
moxxey:

It’s a black TV on a wall. Visualise it.

I was thinking more about the stage placement.

It's just face up on drawers! It's not on the wall. I'll try get a photo once it's all finished...

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jun 17 2020 11:35 AM

ToeKneeAus:

• Yes - the speaker in the TV is quite good for its size - I do find changing the sound setting (from AI Pro or Cinema to Voices ) is needed soemtmes to make voice more distinct - otherwise they get a bit lost.
  • The picture quality is amazing - but i guess i was coming from a low bar with the BV7 :-). SD isn't too bad - but i'll always veer towards HD or better if possible

Interesting, thanks. I need to have a bit of a play with the picture calibration, too. At the moment I'm on Expert - Bright Room as my preferred setting.

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
473 Posts
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Wed, Jun 17 2020 12:58 PM
Chris Townsend:

Let’s have some pictures already. Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

A TV on a wall! Great sound
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
615 Posts
Bronze Member
jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Gold Member

ToeKneeAus:

Its good to hear your thoughts on the GX , I've just got my CX (replacing a BV7-40 Mk3) and now its sitting proud on the BV7 floor stand thanks to STBrackets.

• The apps on Web OS are pretty comprehensive here in Aus - but I cant find one for Channel 10's "10 Play" so i may end up keeping an Apple TV attached for that (just in case). 

Still trying to decide about a Stage or standalone eclipse Sound Center - I guess i'll be waiting till the Stage works with the GX/CX before being able to try it out in home. 

In the meantime, you can reuse the Beolab 7-2 speaker of the BV 7. Do a search in the forum for the various ways of connecting it. The best is to use an external DAC connected to the optical output of the TV.

Ammier
Not Ranked
52 Posts
Bronze Member
Ammier replied on Wed, Jun 24 2020 10:23 AM

Moxxey,

Thanks for this thread! Much appreciated. Just ordered a GX65 and stage for our small tv room. TV going on the wall and stage sitting on a cabinet.

Did you sort the issue of the stage turning on automatically with the TV or is that subject to an update in the future?

Regards,

Ammier

Ammier
Not Ranked
52 Posts
Bronze Member
Ammier replied on Wed, Jun 24 2020 10:23 AM

Moxxey,

Thanks for this thread! Much appreciated. Just ordered a GX65 and stage for our small tv room. TV going on the wall and stage sitting on a cabinet.

Did you sort the issue of the stage turning on automatically with the TV or is that subject to an update in the future?

Regards,

Ammier

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jun 24 2020 11:06 AM

Ammier:

It's random! Mostly it works, but it's only off the Apple TV. It's almost as if the Apple TV doesn't sync properly with the TV.

My latest issue is that the external LG Blu-ray player keeps dominating connections, so the GX keeps switching to the Blu-ray player and starts playing a movie. I can even manually turn off the player and the TV starts it up again. Perplexing.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,665 Posts
Gold Member
So maybe there is an issue in lg’s software where something in the priority stack goes wrong? Maybe that’s why the stage doesn’t always switch on either?

I can try and connect my aptv to the c9 &stage see if i get the same, but i doubt it somehow. Is there a way to let lg know?

Btw, is your aptv connected to the stage or to the lg?

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
618 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:

Ammier:

It's random! Mostly it works, but it's only off the Apple TV. It's almost as if the Apple TV doesn't sync properly with the TV.

My latest issue is that the external LG Blu-ray player keeps dominating connections, so the GX keeps switching to the Blu-ray player and starts playing a movie. I can even manually turn off the player and the TV starts it up again. Perplexing.

These problems were what I was dealing with before turning to a Beovision with PUC.

CEC have never worked well for me, sadly.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jun 24 2020 9:33 PM

Emil Jensen:

These problems were what I was dealing with before turning to a Beovision with PUC.

True, but I find that the PUC doesn't always work smoothly either, especially with Sky. The number of times it's completely stopped working and I've had to spend a good few minutes playing with the cable to get it working again! Swings and roundabouts and I'm not forking out £8000+ for a 2017 Eclipse :)

I'd rather have a single unit like the Eclipse, but B&O just make it so hard. Perplexing why they don't update the panels as frequently as they did with, say the BV7.

I can buy a GX 55", GX 65", 2 x Stage and 2 x BeoRemote's for 1 Eclipse. And have change left.

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
134 Posts
Founder
kawo replied on Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:22 AM

same here CEC has its glitches, with Beoremote One and a Sony BluRay the skip buttons do not skip, they fast forward/backward. Useless, most need function for me für Music. Is there an other key which does it?

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:53 PM

Update.

Sky Q finally installed today after 5 weeks waiting (every time the engineer was due it was raining and they won't go on the roof when it rains).

Picture quality on the GX is astonishing. Even regular HD looks like 4K due to the fantastic upscaling. Obviously 4K is another league. First time watching Sky Sports in 4K and it's stunning - looks like you're watching in the stadium

But, along with the positive, there's a negative. You can't control the Sky Q box from the LG remote. Or can you? Anyone managed this?

Page 2 of 6 (77 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL