Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,066 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx posted on Tue, May 19 2020 11:15 AM

Hi All.

Having gotten a Beo6 included in a deal, with the seller telling me it needed a new battery, I figured, not a problem. 

I have been able to get the most annoying Beo5/6 back to life, so gave it a new battery, and uploaded new BeoLo/FW/WiFi and configuration.

All worked, and it came back to life. The wheel and backlight works, and display shows all the right stuff. But touch is dead…

Has anyone ever had luck in getting touch back to life ? I suspect this actually IS a hardware issue, as I have tried all kinds of resets and config uploads.

Any idea ?

/Weebyx

All Replies

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
801 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Weebyx,

Got one, back to life thanks to your help, with unresponsive touchpad.

Opened the screen to see what i could try. Appart from checking the ribbon cable, it looks to me there's nothing on that PCB that would be easily serviceable.

I ended up programming the hard keys to my use on a BC6 (TV/STAND/Apple TV/Radio/Airplay) and having the screen displaying the current function, as a Beo4 do. It's the best I could do and I use it now all the time. 

All this to say, I would be interested if there was any fix to it!

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,066 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, May 19 2020 2:39 PM

matador43:

Hi Weebyx,

Got one, back to life thanks to your help, with unresponsive touchpad.

Opened the screen to see what i could try. Appart from checking the ribbon cable, it looks to me there's nothing on that PCB that would be easily serviceable.

I ended up programming the hard keys to my use on a BC6 (TV/STAND/Apple TV/Radio/Airplay) and having the screen displaying the current function, as a Beo4 do. It's the best I could do and I use it now all the time. 

All this to say, I would be interested if there was any fix to it!

Yes, this seem to be a HW issue, and not much to do about it :)

Oh well. It is good for parts :)

manfy
Not Ranked
70 Posts
Bronze Member
manfy replied on Tue, May 19 2020 2:51 PM

First I'd probably go the service menu and see what the touch screen test comes up with. (according to Beo5 manual you can enter the service menu from the setup menu by pressing the sequence  0 0 GO )

If the touch screen is spoilt, there's probably no real easy or cheap way to fix it. Get a new screen from Beo.
I have no actual experience on this device, but after having fiddled around with some mobile phone touch screens long time ago, I'd think that the chances of success for a permanent repair of the screen itself are very slim.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,066 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, May 19 2020 6:22 PM

manfy:

First I'd probably go the service menu and see what the touch screen test comes up with. (according to Beo5 manual you can enter the service menu from the setup menu by pressing the sequence  0 0 GO )

If the touch screen is spoilt, there's probably no real easy or cheap way to fix it. Get a new screen from Beo.
I have no actual experience on this device, but after having fiddled around with some mobile phone touch screens long time ago, I'd think that the chances of success for a permanent repair of the screen itself are very slim.

It is not possible to go into the service menu, since the 0 0 Go, requires the Touch Screen to work ;)

/Weebyx

manfy
Not Ranked
70 Posts
Bronze Member
manfy replied on Tue, May 19 2020 7:30 PM

Weebyx:
It is not possible to go into the service menu, since the 0 0 Go, requires the Touch Screen to work ;)

/Weebyx

hmmm ...so it's one of those 21st century "smart" products then, is it?  Unsure well, in that case you're probably just sheer out of luck...

manfy
Not Ranked
70 Posts
Bronze Member
manfy replied on Wed, May 20 2020 12:12 PM

I've done some more digging and it seems that you may not be completely out of luck after all.

The official B&O marketing video shows some details that are very interesting.

This is the main board, ie. the motherboard of the unit and it is part of the display module. The bad thing about that is that the official replacement display module from B&O is probably prohibitively expensive. The good thing is that it shows the flex cable connector, which is a potential source of a malfunctioning digitizer (that is the thing that provides touchscreen functionality).
Beo6 uses a capacitive touchscreen and that is probably an integral part of the screen (as opposed to the resistive sytem used in Beo5). Since touch functionality is completely absent there are only 2 primary error sources: a contact problem between screen and motherboard or a damaged touch controller (the latter is possible but unlikely). Similarly, a complete malfunction of the transparent touch layers on the screen is rather unlikely.

So, if you're lucky, a simple unplugging and replugging of the flex cable might fix the whole problem. You only have to figure out how to disassemble the display module. I'd guess it works in a similar way as modern mobile phones. There could be some tiny screws somewhere at the base of the display and once removed you just need a pry tool to separate the cover from the screen.

In the Beo5 service manual I noticed that B&O used a standard TFT screen from Samsung. That's a standard product you might get off the internet. So if there's something wrong with the TFT screen + touchscreen layer, you might actually get a new one for, I don't know, say 50 bucks? That might be worth it. Just make sure you find a model number on the screen unit when the display module is disassembled.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL