Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Sibrand
Not Ranked
Dongen, NL
9 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibrand posted on Sun, May 17 2020 7:56 PM

Dear all,

I did read a lot of comments about the Options but I still have no solution for my specific problem. Some links aren't working anymore so I dare to ask this question:

I use: BS4, BV8-40+Apple TV4 and a Passive (1656)

In V opt 1 and A opt1 OR V opt 2 and A opt 2 the BV8 plays the Apple TV sound and the A.mem sound and here is the strange part the Passive plays A.mem audio but no DVD audio (BV8 is in DVD connected with Apple TV) Passive is set in L-opt 6

What am I missing? Or how stupid am I that this simple setup isn't working the way I want it?

Kind regards, Sibrand.

All Replies

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,906 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, May 17 2020 8:15 PM

Are the BS4 and the BV8 in the same room?

Do you have speakers connected to the BS4?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,906 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, May 17 2020 8:44 PM

In anticipation of answers Yes and No (respectively) to my questions above, I thought I'd go further with my response:

You should put the TV in V.OPT 2 (so it responds to both audio and video commands)

The BS4 should be in A.OPT 0 (so it does not respond to any IR commands - it should default to this setting if no speakers are connected, and receive all IR commands over ML via the TV)

And finally, if the TV is receiving ATV through hdmi only, then this digital source will not be distributed over masterlink.  You may wish to look for an hdmi audio extractor to enable an analogue audio input from the ATV that can be distributed.

I hope this helps - welcome to Beoworld! Smile

Sibrand
Not Ranked
Dongen, NL
9 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibrand replied on Sun, May 17 2020 10:52 PM

Thanks for your reply. They are in the same room.

Do you mean by speakers, something connected with PL or something like Beolab2000?

My set up for the audio is with Beolab2000's and the Passive through ML.

The BV worked with the previous owner with a Beosound 2500 and a converter (I think a 1611 or a 1615(Mk2)) is that what you mean by the audioextractor?

The setup I tried to make is to get audio from the BV8 and the Passive (as some sort of surround idea).

I realise it must be frustrating for the real Bang and Olufsen adepts to see me struggle with the terminology. So I am sorry in advance.

2 years ago I bought this house and the previous owner left the Beosound5 and Beomaster, the Beolab's 3500 and several feet of ML cable. In my enthousiasme I thought to connect a few extra components ...

I already found out that I can not connect a Beosound 5 and a Beosound 4 in the same ML string. So I made a second string. The old one is still working, now the second one.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,906 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, May 18 2020 8:34 AM

Sibrand:

Do you mean by speakers, something connected with PL or something like Beolab2000?

My set up for the audio is with Beolab2000's and the Passive through ML.

I meant something connected with PL.  Beolab 2000 is a LINK speaker, designed to be used in other rooms (away from the audio/video master).  Where do you have it?

Also, where is the passive, and what is connected to it?  A sketch of your full system may help!

Sibrand:
The BV worked with the previous owner with a Beosound 2500 and a converter (I think a 1611 or a 1615(Mk2)) is that what you mean by the audioextractor?

No.  An audio extractor is not B&O-specific.  It's simply a small 'in-line' device with hdmi input and output, and an additional output (phono or 3.5mm sockets) that has extracted analogue audio from the digital hdmi signal.  You would need something like this if you wanted to send audio from your Apple TV over the ML system.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,906 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, May 18 2020 8:42 AM

There's a 52 page document called the Masterlink handbook that is well worth reading if you want to build your own ML system - it would answer all your questions.

If you join as a Silver Member you could download a copy from the site.  Otherwise, have a search on google.  You are looking for the Masterlink manual from January 2004, not the much larger/newer 'Beolink' one (which may cause confusion as it introduces newer beolink systems). 

Sibrand
Not Ranked
Dongen, NL
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello Guy, again a big thank you, the answers are much appreciated.

I will make a sketch and will try to upload it here in this thread.

For the picture:

BS4, BV-8, 2 BL2000's and the Passive are all in the same room (outside of my house there is a little townhouse). With the options mentioned I can make the noise I want. Only the Apple TV is apparently a dissonant. I found a HDMI to HDMI+audio device. 

To make some confusion: Also in the same room is a BL3500 connected to the second ML cable that routes to my house. I put that in L option 0, operation by hand if link audio from the house is required.

I already have the Masterlink Handbook, but it is in Bang and Olufsen English (if one's new in the scene all terminology like Powerlink, Masterlink, Beolink, and so on is like reading hocus-pocus. And because I would like to be able to use the room this week I turned to this forum and it helped me (you helped me).

Thanks again and have a nice evening.

Sketch follows soon.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,906 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, May 19 2020 9:18 AM

Sibrand:
BS4, BV-8, 2 BL2000's and the Passive are all in the same room

Just a caution: If these are in the same room they are all receiving the same IR signal at the same time, and this may cause a conflict on the ML network.  Ideally, in any one room, you only want one receiver (device) for audio IR signals, and one receiver (device) for video IR signals (or just one device receiving both audio and video IR).  Hence the requirement to use option settings.

And of course the BL2000s are not designed to be used as speakers in the same room as the source - they are designed for link rooms.

I look forward to seeing a diagram and knowing exactly what you want from the 'townhouse' system!

Sibrand
Not Ranked
Dongen, NL
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Sketch in Excel, click to see the whole picture

Sibrand
Not Ranked
Dongen, NL
9 Posts
Bronze Member

I have some difficulties uploading a picture. The site is having difficulties with hackers, it says.

An answer to Guy's question:

In the townhouse I would like to hear music, or sound, all around. I am aware that It is not real surround but it gives a feeling being surrounded by sound.

We use the townhouse as mancave, cooking for elderly neighbours, meetings and  extra classes to gain advantage at school for yougsters.

And to be honest, if Max Verstappen is racing we cranck up the volume for a "near life" experience.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,906 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, May 20 2020 8:55 AM

Thanks for the diagram and explanation - all is much clearer now Smile

Looking at option settings for the 'Home' system first:

• BM5/BS5 should be on A.OPT 1 (this should auto configure)
  • All five BL3500s should be in L.OPT 6 (including the one in the Townhouse)
  • The BV8-32 in the townhouse should be in V.OPT 1 (assuming that it has no connections to either ML system)

Looking at option settings for the 'Townhouse' system:

• BS4 should be in A.OPT 0 (this should auto configure, because no speakers are connected to the BS4's Powerlink sockets)
  • BV8-40 should be in V.OPT 2 (so that it processes IR commands for both video and audio)
  • The BL3500s should be in L.OPT 6*
  • The Passive should be in L.OPT 6*

* However, as previously mentioned the Townhouse BL3500s and Passive, are designed to be used in separate link rooms.  Although they may work (switch on, change source and adjust volume), the ML system is not designed to receive the same IR command from a number of sources at once, and this may cause conflicts.

A better solution would be to get rid of the 2 BL2000s in the townhouse, and connect the Passive direct to once of the BV8-40's Powerlink outputs (PL to PL cable required).  You could then connect a further Passive and speakers to the BV8-40 for a fuller surround experience.

Furthermore, with the system as it is, how do you know which ML system you are controlling when in the townhouse?  Surely when you select a source both the Townhouse and Home systems turn on?  Is this not a problem?  There is probably a way to solve this latter conflict, but I will wait to hear whether it is indeed a problem.  I just re-read one of your earlier posts - you have said that the BL3500 from the main system is in L.OPT 0.

Lastly, I think there may be a way to combine both ML systems (because you can turn OFF the audiomaster function in the BS5) but again I am not sure about this!  Have you tried?  

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,906 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, May 20 2020 9:11 AM

Thinking more about the 'Home' system BL3500 that is in the Townhouse, currently in L.OPT 0.  You could try setting this in L.OPT 4.  Then, in order to control it you would simply press LINK on the Beo4 first. You would have to add LINK to the Beo4's LIST options.

Sibrand
Not Ranked
Dongen, NL
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Today I will make the changes in Options as mentioned. Afterwards I will report how I have made progress.

And a picture to picture all this:

The hole in the ceiling is from one of the speakers connected to the hidden Passive.

Sibrand
Not Ranked
Dongen, NL
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Update:

There is sound @ Passive only if I first switch to radio and then change to A.Aux. The Beo 4 is not able to switch BS4 into A.Aux mode (A.Aux added in Beo4). Something similar is in the house, if I want to play the Chrome Cast audio I have to switch on the BL3500 in radio and then change at the BM5 to A.Aux.

I think it is something linked to L. Opt 6.

Audio works as I mentioned but there is a delay. The Bv is first and the rest follows at a fraction of a second. 

In this configuration it is likely to be possible (with the HMDI matrix) to have all around sound with both BV's switched on and playing f.i. Apple TV or Chrome Cast Video.

I thouhgt the mailman to be delivering at wednesday or at least today but it will be tomorrow. Maybe the HDMI extractor works better then the temporary solution now.

Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
957 Posts
Bronze Member

some remarks:

you can not distribute audio from BV8 HDMI sources through ML.

with 2 BL2000, 1 BL3500, 1 BS4 and 2 BV8 you will never get the option settings right. Simply to much devices in one room. 

The option, but still with restrictions, I would propose:

BS4 option 1 with ML connected  BV8 in option 1, the other in option 4

BL3500 in option 4, the other two in option 0 (if possible; receive no IR commands; but partly manual to be operated)

A,Aux not working as expected is no L.Opt 6 issue.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL