Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,093 Posts
Gold Member
Seanie_230 posted on Sat, May 9 2020 1:37 PM
Hello all

I used to have my avant 55 in the living room and moment in the kitchen with some speakers connected to it.

Since we moved house the lab5’s are connected to the avant and the moment in the next room with nothing connected to it.

The kitchen has an essence MK2 with some CX50’s and a passive connected to it.

I have all of the sources that the moment had on the essence and hardly play music now.

I think I don’t need the moment at all anymore but wanted to see if anyone can give me a reason to keep it.

I don’t think I use it at all anymore as if I can pull the sources from the essence to the avant what are the benefits of keeping the moment at all?

Anything?

Cheers

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

All Replies

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,064 Posts
Bronze Member

Seanie_230:
Anything?
the ease of starting a source without the need of an iDevice. Note: especially when choosing a Album out of my DLNA-server collection.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,650 Posts
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, May 10 2020 10:51 AM
Seanie_230:

Anything?

As a failover in case your Essence is in trouble.

As a NL control point in an other room.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
598 Posts
Bronze Member

Sell it if you don't like it.

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
118 Posts
Bronze Member

The Moment is the end of an era: the last true music interface from a company that made its name by creating incredible user interfaces, surprising mechanical design, and beautiful equipment.  Although the software wasn't truly complete until after the Moment was discontinued, I think its design, interface, and functionality are truly the pinnacle of B&O's incredible history.  (Are you aware that the original iPod design was insipred by B&O?  That iPod and its interface changed the world of music, and then evolved into the iPhone which has fundamentally changed the world we live in.)

I have two of them, and I absolutely adore them.  I love the shape, the materials, the design.  I love the detachable jukebox that can be charged in to positions with very different looks.  I love the tactile interface, the contrasting materials, and the simplicity of the design.  I love the stark contrast between glass and aluminum on one side and warm wood on the other.  I love that the same control ring appears in the same location with the same dimensions and functionality on both the aluminum and wood sides: completely different yet exactly the same.  I love that I can tap the center of the ring and the Moment knows what I want to hear.  I love that one end of the scrolling interface allows me to pick exactly the song or the album I want to hear, while scrolling to the other end allows me to play exactly the mood I'm in without having to pick any song.  I love that my Moment finds me amazing new music I can add to my collection, and also finds old songs I once purchased on CD but haven't listened to in years.  I love everything about my Moment, even its imperfections.

If you don't get joy from your Moment, sell it on to someone who will.

2x Beosound Moment
4x Beosound Essence Mk II
3x Beolab 8000
1x Beolab 6000
1x Beolab 3
3x Beolab 2
4x BeoPlay M5
1x BeoPlay A6
9x Essence Remote

Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Bronze Member

I love my Moment too, because i enjoy their user interface for daily use. I nearly never use the app (i have to be old). I enjoy the design either. My point of criticism is completely diffferent: It would have been great, if there was an "on/off button" for the tablet part. So cleaning the display can get quiet loud Laughing

But as laseralex has written: I love everything about my Moment, even its imperfections Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

LarsJensen
Not Ranked
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Personally I love my moment too. The flexibility of control with either the app, the interface or good old beo4. The design. The integration with my old master link setup.

My absolute favourite purchase for a long time.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
676 Posts
Bronze Member

laseralex:

The Moment is the end of an era: the last true music interface from a company that made its name by creating incredible user interfaces, surprising mechanical design, and beautiful equipment.  Although the software wasn't truly complete until after the Moment was discontinued, I think its design, interface, and functionality are truly the pinnacle of B&O's incredible history.  (Are you aware that the original iPod design was insipred by B&O?  That iPod and its interface changed the world of music, and then evolved into the iPhone which has fundamentally changed the world we live in.)

I have two of them, and I absolutely adore them.  I love the shape, the materials, the design.  I love the detachable jukebox that can be charged in to positions with very different looks.  I love the tactile interface, the contrasting materials, and the simplicity of the design.  I love the stark contrast between glass and aluminum on one side and warm wood on the other.  I love that the same control ring appears in the same location with the same dimensions and functionality on both the aluminum and wood sides: completely different yet exactly the same.  I love that I can tap the center of the ring and the Moment knows what I want to hear.  I love that one end of the scrolling interface allows me to pick exactly the song or the album I want to hear, while scrolling to the other end allows me to play exactly the mood I'm in without having to pick any song.  I love that my Moment finds me amazing new music I can add to my collection, and also finds old songs I once purchased on CD but haven't listened to in years.  I love everything about my Moment, even its imperfections.

If you don't get joy from your Moment, sell it on to someone who will.

Brilliant! You really can't sell it any better than that. You've even got my interest now and I never really considered a Moment before.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8, BR1, Essence

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,093 Posts
Gold Member
Thanks all for your opinions.

I love the device its just not doing anything that’s all.

I don’t need the cash so perhaps it can just sit there and one day I will move it to another room.

Cheers

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
676 Posts
Bronze Member

Sounds like a good plan Seanie. Since I've never looked into it before, I am assuming you need a pair of speakers to go with it? Or can it work with a BV11, V1-32 or a BeoSound 2 that I've just purchased? All my past kit has been sold so no more dedicated speakers at the moment. If it can work with what I have I am happy to make you an offer if you decide you don't want it after all.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,429 Posts
Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

Sounds like a good plan Seanie. Since I've never looked into it before, I am assuming you need a pair of speakers to go with it? Or can it work with a BV11, V1-32 or a BeoSound 2 that I've just purchased? All my past kit has been sold so no more dedicated speakers at the moment. If it can work with what I have I am happy to make you an offer if you decide you don't want it after all.

The Moment can easily be integrated with a BV11/V1....in fact it was made for that - is from the same era.

And you can link it to your BS2 as well, since both work on NL/B&O multiroom.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
676 Posts
Bronze Member

Blimey thanks Millemissen, wasn't expecting that at all. Great news.

Seanie, drop me a line if your interested. I am in Bristol but happy to travel up on the train.

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
118 Posts
Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

Brilliant! You really can't sell it any better than that. You've even got my interest now and I never really considered a Moment before.

Heh, I may have had one more beer than I should before I wrote that.  Beer

But it really is true: my Moment is one of my absolute favorite things I've ever owned.  I love it much so that I bought a second one when it popped up locally on craigslist.  :)

I will admit that the Moment isn't perfect, and don't want you to buy one and be disappointed after my sales pitch.  There are are a few features which should have been implemented and never will be since the product is discontinued and the firmware is maintenance-only.  (Three main things I would like: 1, the ability to use the tablet to expand the music to other B&O devices like can be done in the app; 2, when listening to a song I have selected, it should indicate where it would appear on the MoodWheel - perhaps with an open circle instead of a dot - so it is easier to find music with a particular "mood"; and 3 - Chromecast support, even though that is my least favorite way of consuming music.)

Also, despite the tablet being removable, I almost never remove it: it is beautiful but I'm afraid of damaging it.  I don't want to spill coffee or beer on it, I don't want to drop it or knock it over.  The finish is so beautiful that it just wouldn't be able to handle as much abuse as an iPad.

And although I would love to leave the wood side exposed most of the time, in my particular house it just blends in too much and disappears that way because of all the other wood nearby.  Leaving the aluminum and glass side visible even when it's not in use makes it stand out more.

All that said, if you're a B&O fan you should have a Moment.   It's marks both the end of an era and the pinnacle of B&O design.

2x Beosound Moment
3x Beolab 8000
1x Beolab 6000
1x Beolab 3
3x Beolab 2
4x BeoPlay M5
1x BeoPlay A6
9x Essence Remote

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
118 Posts
Bronze Member

Seanie_230:

I love the device its just not doing anything that’s all.

I don’t need the cash so perhaps it can just sit there and one day I will move it to another room.

I'm glad to hear that you love it.  It really is an amazing thing that B&O created/

Seanie_230:

Now that just makes me sad.  It reminds me of people who by amazing cars and then never drive them.  What would we think if someone bought a Stradivarius violin, only to place it in storage as an investment?

You ought to hook some speakers up and use it!  I have one in my home office, driving a pair of BeoLab 8000s I bought at a local thrift store. It's as far as possible as you can get from a real listening room, but right now as I type this I'm enjoying spectacular sound from the 8000, listening to a playlist generated by the MoodWheel.

2x Beosound Moment
3x Beolab 8000
1x Beolab 6000
1x Beolab 3
3x Beolab 2
4x BeoPlay M5
1x BeoPlay A6
9x Essence Remote

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
118 Posts
Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

Since I've never looked into it before, I am assuming you need a pair of speakers to go with it?

I know that it will work with your existing kit, but consider looking around for some Beolabs to hook up to it.  If you are patient (willing to wait up to a year) you will eventually find what you want in a price range you can accept.  I've purchased Beolab 6000s, Beolab 8000s, and Beolab 3s used for a tiny fraction of the original cost when new.  (Some from eBay, some from craigslist, some from a local thrift shop.)  All of them sound fantastic!

The Beolab 6000s surprised me the most, because they sound *SO* good for their size and price.  They are quite a bit smaller than the 8000s and fit better in my dining room than the 8000s I previously had there.  (Being smaller they allow my artwork to be the focus of the room; the 8000s were just too much.)  And I only paid $250 for them! Big Smile  (OK, I admit I paid another $200 to replace all the drivers, but still under $500 USD for gorgeous speakers that sound fabulous when I have guests over for dinner.)  So if your budget is modest and you aren't looking to get super loud, I highly recommend looking for some Beloab 6000s in good condition.

On the other hand if you have a large budget, I think a pair of Beolab 5s would be the perfect match for a Moment: spectacular sound and absolutely iconic design.  I'm going to be waiting a LONG time to find a set of those in my price range. Big Smile

2x Beosound Moment
3x Beolab 8000
1x Beolab 6000
1x Beolab 3
3x Beolab 2
4x BeoPlay M5
1x BeoPlay A6
9x Essence Remote

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL