Beosound 9000 mk2 with sledge issues video included

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 19 Replies | 0 Followers

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
131 Posts
Bronze Member
bigbruggsy posted on Tue, Apr 28 2020 2:56 PM

Hi all, thanks again for this forums help. Its been a great guide in getting most of my B&O gear up and running again. And thanks also to some special forum members out there that have helped with advice and even spare parts.

But alas, my Beosound 9000 mk2 is still having issues.

Here's what I've done so far, I've replaced the rocker arm with a new one, cleaned the "speed wheel" and tried adjusting the cd sledge height. I've checked the alignment slots and its been set for horizontal operation without a stand. But I'm still having issues with the sledge not moving from CD 1.

I've created a little video showing the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMKhWa_7MeQ

Do any of you have any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by bigbruggsy

Hi,

Let's start with the obvious: clean the sensors (little prisms each side of CD alignement) and put back the glass.

Looks like carriage blocked for safety reasons (something detected in the path).

I Had this once while working on the unit until i figured out I had a cardboard spacer securing the glass still in place that was detected an "grounded" the sledge!

All Replies

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by bigbruggsy

Hi,

Let's start with the obvious: clean the sensors (little prisms each side of CD alignement) and put back the glass.

Looks like carriage blocked for safety reasons (something detected in the path).

I Had this once while working on the unit until i figured out I had a cardboard spacer securing the glass still in place that was detected an "grounded" the sledge!

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
131 Posts
Bronze Member

Matador43 you're a genius!

I just put the glass back on and the cd sledge works beautifully. But now i'm back to my original problem of the cd scraping on something when it spins. It takes awhile to spin the cd and when it does it spins backwards. When it stops it displays "pause"

Dirty lens? I'm not sure as it was cleaned when it was apart. 

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

For the CD scratching when spinning I dont know: the two eight adjustment possible (clamper and sledge) are as far as i know unrelated to spinning height.

The second symptom (play,spin,pause) is usually an aging laser. If you have changed it already, i dont know. If not its the first to look for.
Did you perform hmm the test modes ? 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,940 Posts
Founder

bigbruggsy:

But now i'm back to my original problem of the cd scraping on something when it spins. It takes awhile to spin the cd and when it does it spins backwards. When it stops it displays "pause"

Try to locate what causes the noise. Does it come from the cd itself, which scrapes along the holders, where the cd is held when placed, or is it the APS disc. By lifting or pushing the illuminated cd-cover you can check whether the APS disc scrapes or not.

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
131 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Beobuddy, I think the scraping is coming from the cd clamp above the cd, if I lift the clear illuminated  plastic up just 1 or 2 mm the scraping sound goes away. I think this is what you call the APS disc. Mayb I should adjust this with the 2 small screws under the silver / grey plastic cover?  What is the ideal gap between the glass lid and this clear illuminated plastic? as I only have 1mm now. Can the glass be adjusted so it sits higher? as it looks like my glass is not completely horizontal.

Thanks again guys for helping me out.

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes the glass door can be adjusted. If you have any service manual it's inside.

If not, adjustment screws are located in the "control box" just above the hinges: two very littles holes.
Right is under control panel, Left, you have to remove the top plate. you need a little Allen key (2 or 3 mm, can't remember).

In mine I had to set the glass and the clamper so everything is sort of parallel. Hope this helps.

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
131 Posts
Bronze Member

Thats great news. As I now have adjusted the APS (the clear plastic cover thing) so its not scraping the cds, but its soooooooooo close to the glass now. And I still have the cd spinning backwards and the pause error. So I guess maybe a new cd laser lens?

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

bigbruggsy:
but its soooooooooo close to the glass now.

Mine is like 4mm from all plate to glass.

bigbruggsy:
So I guess maybe a new cd laser lens?

Most likely. Cheap to find, easy to change! Your sledge will soon be running between tracks!

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,210 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 6:53 PM

bigbruggsy:

Thats great news. As I now have adjusted the APS (the clear plastic cover thing) so its not scraping the cds, but its soooooooooo close to the glass now. And I still have the cd spinning backwards and the pause error. So I guess maybe a new cd laser lens?

The top of the sledge should be paralell with the aluplate. If you need to adjust it waay up, something is wrong.

1. Did you remember to press the black plastic part for the clamper arm, correct back into its place ? If this is not correct, this will cause the APS part to sit to low.

2. I have seen a unit where the APS part was warped/bend. I took it out and heated it up with a hairdryer, and carefully bend it back again. That removed the scraping from that unit.

3. Are the laser assembly correct installed in the holder ? if this is not correct, it will also cause the disc to sit to high, and hit the APS disk holder thingy,

Something is not correct assembled in your unit, that is my guess.

Regarding the pause of cd. It needs a new laser.

And for further testing in the future, if you remove the glass, then open the glassdoor before selecting cd as Source. When the glass is removed, the sledge will not operate unless the lidt is "opened", Once the unit thinks the glass is opened, the sledge are allowed to move, but only slow.

Be carefull to always select cd position 1 before setting the unit into std.by without lid, since this causes the lid to close, and the sledge cannot return since the glass is not there.

/Weebyx

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,660 Posts
Bronze Member
bigbruggsy:

Hi Beobuddy, I think the scraping is coming from the cd clamp above the cd, if I lift the clear illuminated plastic up just 1 or 2 mm the scraping sound goes away. I think this is what you call the APS disc. Mayb I should adjust this with the 2 small screws under the silver / grey plastic cover? What is the ideal gap between the glass lid and this clear illuminated plastic? as I only have 1mm now. Can the glass be adjusted so it sits higher? as it looks like my glass is not completely horizontal.

Thanks again guys for helping me out.

Beolab 8000 x 4

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound 3200 x 2

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

just something obvious! Are the setup position screws on the back set correctly ? (Page 9 of reference manual)

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
131 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, the position screws are setup for horizontal / flat positioning. I've been able to stop the scraping by adjusting the APS higher. But I now need to raise the glass as there's not much room between the 2 now.

My next issue is the cd spinning and then the pause error. So I think I need a new laser :(

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
131 Posts
Bronze Member

Just a quick update, I was able to get into test mode and test 71 was all OK, but test 73 came up with CD error 2. So I think I need a new laser. I've taken the old laser out and this is what I have (see picture)

From what I've read on this forum its hit and miss with getting a good new laser online. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to buy a good new laser from?

I'm having a hard time attaching the pictures at the moment, but basically they show the numbers on the back of the main chip as being........ TDA1302T NOC1T1 HfH0024 1   and the ribbon cable has the numbers 3067  EF-20

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

Peter
Top 500 Contributor
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
111 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Thu, Apr 30 2020 11:34 AM

Bigbruggsy,

to see the laser type there should be a sticker on a laser mechanism down right.

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
131 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Peter,

The label on the laser mechanism says

Type : VAM 1205

9305 022 20501

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40