Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Integrating Beomaster 5500 and Beolink Passive

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 40 Replies | 2 Followers

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
83 Posts
Bronze Member
styppen posted on Fri, Apr 17 2020 11:25 PM

Hi all,

I have a Beomaster 5500 in my living room. I’m considering putting a pair of CX50s in my kitchen and somehow connect them to Beomaster 5500.

I also like the Beolink Passive in a combination with a circular IR eye. I was hoping to enable/disable speakers in the kitchen and control the volume with the IR eye buttons.

Since Beolink Passive uses MasterLink I was wondering whether integrating them is possible. 

The way I understand Beomaster speaks Master Control Link (MCL) and Beolink Passive speaks MasterLink (ML) and you have to “translate” that.

Can this be achieved by using a Beolink Converter to translate MCL to ML? Then connect the Beolink Converter to the Beolink Passive ML?

The thing that also confuses is the audio signal level. In MCL the audio signal is at speaker level. I imagine this signal should be somehow attenuated to line level for the Beolink Passive.

I feel like I’m missing something out here and I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

All Replies

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
83 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Guy, thanks for this tip.

I tried what you suggested. Again, I used a setup with Beolink Converter as Audio Master. I plugged an iPod into the Converter via 5 pin DIN since it was at hand.

When I entered the suggested command the Beolink Passive did in fact turn on. LED in the housing went from red to green. Yay, progress! 

Unfortunately, there was no sound coming from the speakers even though music was playing on the iPod. I also tried connecting 7 pin DIN cable from the Beomaster and still no sound. When in test mode, whenever I press any button on the Beo4, the Passive goes out of test mode and the red LED is lit again.

What's the chance of the ML cable being faulty?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,397 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, May 18 2020 8:20 AM

That sounds promising - I understand that this is the correct behavior of the Passive - so it could be fully working.

Are you sure that the ipod to 5-pin DIN was feeding into an input (rather than output)? - there is often confusion with these cables.  You could also try feeding it direct to one of the passives Powerlink inputs (disconnect the ML first), and then do the Test Mode trick again.  Keep the ipod's volume low initially.

styppen:
What's the chance of the ML cable being faulty?

Given that you have virtually ruled out anything else, this could well be the problem.  Check for dirt, damaged connector inside the ML sockets on the passive and converter, and also look for damage to connectors on the ML plugs.  If all looks good, buy and try a new cable - our site sponsor, Sounds Heavenly, does some good ones at reasonable prices. 

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
83 Posts
Bronze Member
styppen replied on Mon, May 18 2020 11:00 AM

Guy:

Are you sure that the ipod to 5-pin DIN was feeding into an input (rather than output)? - there is often confusion with these cables.  

Not sure what you mean here. I connected the 5-pin DIN to AUDIO AUX LINK input on the Beolink Converter and then from Converter to the Passive via Masterlink cable. I checked the Audio AUX link wiring diagram on Beotech and verified the pins and this seems to be in order. I'm using the same cable to use my iPod with my Beomaster 5500 (plugged to A.TAPE). Got the cable from Steve so I think the cable is not a problem.

Guy:

You could also try feeding it direct to one of the passives Powerlink inputs (disconnect the ML first), and then do the Test Mode trick again.  Keep the ipod's volume low initially.

Another good tip! I tried that and I could finally hear something coming out from Passive! So it looks like Passive is in working condition.

I am still not 100% certain that the Beolink Converter works. It's really annoying that there's no indicators on the box :(. I checked the ML cable and visually it looks good. Same for the ML connectors on the Converter and Passive. Can't really verify if the ML cable is wired properly since I don't have other ML devices at home. 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,397 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, May 18 2020 12:27 PM

^ That all makes sense, and the DIN cable sounds fine.

I think your next step is to try a new ML cable.

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
83 Posts
Bronze Member

Managed to get a hold of a triggered Powerlink cable in hope that this will somehow work.

Unfortunately, still not working. I'm still not able to turn the Passive on with the IR eye or with Beo4. I'm only able to hear something on the speakers when Passive is in test mode. 

Is there something like a hard reset of the Passive? 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,397 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, May 19 2020 8:47 AM

I am totally not sure what you mean by a triggered powerlink cable.  

I presume it is artificially supplying power to pin 1 of the input PL socket?  If so, neither ML nor the IR should be connected to the Passive, as it is just operating as a stand alone amp. 

There is no 'hard reset' - and I still think an alternative ML cable is worth a try.

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
83 Posts
Bronze Member

Yeah the triggered powerlink cable supplies 5V to the PL trigger pin. I thought the amp could still be operated by IR eye in that mode.

At this point I suppose I could try with a different ML cable but I'm exhausted by this Passive and I sort of lost the motivation. I was hoping things would be just plug and play not plug and pray.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,397 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, May 19 2020 9:22 AM

styppen:
I thought the amp could still be operated by IR eye in that mode.

No, when using the Powerlink inputs the Passive because a dumb amplifier.

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
83 Posts
Bronze Member

I contacted local B&O dealer today and they loaned me one of their ML cables. 

To my demise, still no sound on Passive via Masterlink. I am completely lost as to how continue from this point.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,397 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, May 24 2020 2:20 PM

styppen:

I contacted local B&O dealer today and they loaned me one of their ML cables. 

To my demise, still no sound on Passive via Masterlink. I am completely lost as to how continue from this point.

Can your dealer loan you a passive, or maybe test your passive with one of their systems? 

The other thing you could try is an Beolink Active.  Use this to receive the ML signal and the IR, then connect to the Passive with Powerlink.  In effect, the Beolink Active would be replacing the ML stage of the Passive.

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
83 Posts
Bronze Member

Good suggestion. I'll talk with them and see if we can work something out :). I'll post an update.

Page 3 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL