BEOVISION 7-32 MK3 + apple tv 4k

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Stevenlowry
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member
Stevenlowry posted on Wed, Apr 8 2020 8:32 PM

Hi I have had this tv for many years. And loved every second however over the last week I've got extremely annoyed.

For the last year I have used my 4k apple tv on it with no issues.. Connection was set to DVI-I with no problem. All of a sudden it stopped working so I imagined it was the cable and ordered another.. Still the same issue ( screen was just coming back fuzzy)

I thought it was the port so I choose to try the component.. Tried an Xbox 360 and it worked straight away with the connection set to YPGRP or whatever.

Ordered another cable this time a HDMI to component.. Once I tried this cable I got absolutely nothing from the tv.

I've tried resetting the Apple TV which works on another tv.. I've tried the resolution which shows up for a second with lines across and then disappears... I'm completely lost. Someone please help me as the only use for the Apple TV is this.. Otherwise I've wasted 150 or whatever

All Replies

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
520 Posts
Bronze Member

The fact that you get no image is strange. Sometimes the handshake between HDMI and DVI doesn’t work but you will get an error message on the screen of the TV. Not sure if you have an option but the other thing to try, to eliminate the TV as the problem is to connect another HDMI STB (perhaps you’re Xbox using the DVI cable to see if it works). I am pretty sure HDMI to component won’t work with any STB these days.

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

Stevenlowry
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for your response. After abit more messing around it seems as the dvi socket may be the problem. Moving the cable in the socket changes the picture however only for a second. It comes and goes instantly like it would if the resolution wasn't right. Maybe the socket is loose onthe board? Anyone ever opened the tv to get to the mainboard?

Another point is I would simply use a HDMI to rca (using the sockets in the trap door on the right side of the tv) but that doesn't seem to work either? I seem so stuck 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 9:15 AM

Have you tried resetting the video resolution on the Apple TV?  It may have been inadvertently changed, or perhaps linked to a software update.

On Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), hold Menu and Volume Down for 5 seconds, then release. Your Apple TV will switch to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.

Also you don't mention how you are extracting the audio from the ATV's hdmi - are you using some sort of audio extractor?  Is the audio still working?

A simple hdmi to rca lead will not work.  The ATV's hdmi output is digital only, whereas component (and the composite 'trap door' sockets) are analogue.  You would need some sort of converter device to use the TV's component or composite inputs.

Stevenlowry
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi guy and thanks for responding. I have tried to reset the video resolution to no avail.. It shows up with lines across the image and instantly disappears.. This previously used to work which is weird.

The audio was not the issue as I airplay to a sound system.

I'm just so confused as it was working one day and completely stopped.

I have attached the ATV to a 4k tv and it works fine but doesn't seem to work on the b and o. Odd thing is.. If it was the tv I imagine no image would come up at all. The fact the image comes on then disappears is extremely odd.. And the fact that when I move the socket it shows up and disappears is doubly weird. Complete lost?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 9:43 AM

Yes it's a bit strange.

As Jaffrey said the best thing you could try is to connect another STB by hdmi and see if that gives a picture.  In my 12+ years on the forum, I have never heard of DVI socket connection problems, so I would leave opening up the set to the very last resort!

If you did want to revert to the component sockets, you could always try something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Component-Support-Channel-Extractor/dp/B00A8FIQXA

Stevenlowry
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks again for your reply. I have a HDMI to component but that doesn't seem to bring any picture at all however when I tried that with my Xbox 360 it worked instantly. What would be different about this piece of kit?

In regards to dvi socket not being the problem what would cause it to display a picture (only for a second) when the socket is moved?

Thanks for all your help

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 10:16 AM

Stevenlowry:
Thanks again for your reply. I have a HDMI to component but that doesn't seem to bring any picture at all however when I tried that with my Xbox 360 it worked instantly. What would be different about this piece of kit?

I suspect that the XBox has the ability to send the required analogue component signals via the hdmi socket when this output is selected in its menu.  The Apple TV can't do this.  The box I linked to actually takes the digital hdmi signal and extracts analogue video (component) and audio.  It's active, hence requires power.

Stevenlowry:
In regards to dvi socket not being the problem what would cause it to display a picture (only for a second) when the socket is moved?

Not sure.  There could be some sort of handshake error when connecting - maybe also something to do with hdcp?  Again, I would try a different STB via hdmi to DVI as your next investigation.

Stevenlowry
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

If I use the box you suggested what is the likely hood I would get the signal using the component connection? I'm just at my wits end.. An have already spent nearly 40 on cables..

With the box would I also need component to component?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 10:47 AM

Stevenlowry:
If I use the box you suggested what is the likely hood I would get the signal using the component connection? I'm just at my wits end.. An have already spent nearly 40 on cables..

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, especially as you have proved that your Apple TV's hdmi output is working fine with another TV.  You may have to play around with the Apple TV's video output resolutions using the (menu/volume) method that I mentioned above.

Stevenlowry:
With the box would I also need component to component?

Yes but these are very reasonable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Component-Video-Phonos-Phono/dp/B003OSUSUM/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=component+cable&qid=1586425414&sr=8-9

Don't forget that you would also need hdmi to hdmi (to go from ATV to converter).

A further thought - if you don't have another STB that you could try plugging in to the TV's DVI socket, what about a laptop, or even desktop computer?

Stevenlowry
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

I have a computer which has a HDMI.. Could I the current HDMI to dvi to test whether that will work? I imagine were trying to see whether the dvi port is working fully? The only desktop I have is a mac pro which has a dvi socket but I use a dvi to vga adapter on that and don't have a dvi to dvi cable.. 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 11:12 AM

Stevenlowry:
I have a computer which has a HDMI.. Could I the current HDMI to dvi to test whether that will work? I imagine were trying to see whether the dvi port is working fully?

Definitely worth giving that a try!

Also I note from some of you earlier posts/threads that it took a while to get the ATV working successfully in the first place.  I would try the computer (using hdmi to dvi) first, and then re-visit all your TV menu settings.

Stevenlowry
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

Thats correct - that's what's not sitting right... it was working perfectly.. Then all of a sudden stopped completely... I'm hoping that the product you advised works.. Issue is have now is I'm extremely inpatient.. So I can get what you suggested tomorrow.. But I need a component to component which I can't arghhhhhhh.. Any ideas? I live in the UK?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 11:33 AM

There are some  faster delivery leads on amazon, such as: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/VTOP-Phono-Composite-Audio-Video-RCA-Male-Cable/dp/B01J57DS1G/ref=sr_1_6?crid=YT2R26SJILS5&dchild=1&keywords=component+lead&qid=1586428342&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&sprefix=component+lead%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-6

But I would try the computer first - if that works it would be worth playing around with your Apple TV settings a little more.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 11:42 AM

^ Sorry they were composite (rather than component) leads, but would probably work if you are consistent with colours. 

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL