Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beogram 8002 Repair

Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 346 Replies | 13 Followers

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Sun, Dec 30 2012 12:21 AM

This Beogram 8002 was a recent find. I picked it up as a learning unit because one of my primary, everyday turntables is a Beogram 8002 I bought way back in 1983.  That original 8002 is still working well.  I had a B&O technician look at it about eight years ago and he made some adjustments.  That was before I took on this vintage audio hobby.  When this recent aquisition became available I decided the price was too good for me to pass up.

In the picture you can see the lid assembly is off.  The main spring and lid attachement came apart.  I am going to fix that first.

Electrically, this new 8002 powers on and the turntable starts spinning as soon as it is plugged in.  None of the pushbutton controls work.  So this could be a real troublesome repair.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,356 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by sonavor

sonavor:
The electrolytic capacitor I hate replacing the most on these BG8002 units is the one inside the processor housing (C28, 47uF, 10V).  It is in a difficult place to remove and replace.  You have to be very careful.

Seems similar to the cap inside the processor board shieldwork in pizza box Beomasters. They are very dificult to remove because the circuit board with a heavy ground plane conducts all heat away from the soldering spots. I tend to just cut the old cap off, leaving enough stubs on the board to solder the new cap on them. Much easier and helps to avoid circut board damage.

--mika

All Replies

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member

Here is a picture of the re-attached lid/spring assembly.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member

Another picture of the re-attached lid.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member

01 and 02 modules from under the control panel

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member

01 (PCB1 - Control Circuits and Power Supply) and 02 (PCB2 - Microcomputer) Modules removed.  With this Beogram 8002 starting up turning at 33 RPM when the unit is plugged in ... does that point to a problem with the microcomputer? 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member

A mechanical question - The picture below shows the cover panel (the one that is under the tone arm when it is at rest).  The underside of the panel has a smaller metal panel that appeared to be glued to the cover panel.  That glue has become dry and crumbly.  In repairing that piece, do you scrape off all of the old adhesive and apply a new adhesive like epoxy or something less permanent like tacky glue?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member

The crumbly adhesive is also in small squares on the under side of the aluminum top plate.  What is the function of that adhesive and what should be used to replace it?

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,187 Posts
Bronze Member

It is the remains of the foam double sided tape that was originally used to hold the parts together.

Regards Graham

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
876 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 10:52 AM
I had some success in repairing a TX using double sided carpet tape. It's about the same thickness as the original and has a very strong hold. You may want to try this too.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member

I see.  So the square tape remains on the underside of the aluminum top plate and the corresponding remains on the deck (see pictured) means the aluminum top plate isn't supposed to come off.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,187 Posts
Bronze Member

sonavor:

I see.  So the square tape remains on the underside of the aluminum top plate and the corresponding remains on the deck (see pictured) means the aluminum top plate isn't supposed to come off.

Correct. Makes it awkward doesn't it??

Regards Graham

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member

Here are a couple of more detailed pictures of PCB1

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts