rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
96 Posts
Bronze Member
folkdeejay posted on Wed, Feb 12 2020 3:23 PM

Hi All,

Long time no post !!     Life gets in the way....

Anyway - changing from Virgin (scart based Tivo)  to SKY Q in a few weeks.

My otherwise fine BVis 5 has no hdmi...,     so looking to use an adaptor for a while.

Has anyone experienced any of the relatively budget options...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H27MLKV/?coliid=I1LLTTU4I5TO01&colid=1JJ4P91SPE1EW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I know that graphics and GUI in particular will be less than HD - but based in using an Xbox and also the Tivo, I can live with the very good SD  that the panel still provides for actual TV images.

We have a couple of HD panels in other rooms. and TBH that sort of hyper realism is a bit jarring compared to my lovely old Bvis 5...    sort of a vinyl vs CD thing perhaps... 

All Replies

Kevin
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Founder
Kevin replied on Wed, Feb 12 2020 9:11 PM

Hi,

I use something similar, same price point for my 28" Avant crt, beovision 6 26". bacause Sky Q changed to HDMI only grrr  It works fine and they mean that if you use an HDMI splitter or multi output HDMI it won't downgrade your HD signals to the lowest output.

Not an issue for these adapters but the spliiter etc. can cause Sky Q to bring up a HTCP error.

bramble
Top 200 Contributor
397 Posts
Bronze Member
A friend of mine had bv5 ( as I had) and had to use hdmi converter.......he loved the bv5! But tech left it behind. Bought a Sony as picture quality with the converter was poor.

Beovision 7 40 mk 5 ,beovision 6x3,   beosound 3000, beogram 3300 , 2 x lc2, 2 x beocom 1401, beocom 6000 x 2,  5 x beo4, 

, 4 x beolab 4's, form 2, h2, a2,a1 and a beolab 2 😀😀

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
96 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok - good to know.

This will be a stop gap. 

It is a a shame there are no HDMI - RGB scart , rsaher than the lowe resolution hdmi - composite video, which is essentially what these do.     

The BV5 picture quality is still great, even from the Tivo box using fully wired scart - not great for graphics, but still really for good content  so the HD channels and the well made live stuff via BBC news etc )     Most non-tekky folks assume it is full HD, tbh.

Any pointer to an HDMI - Component video converter would be very welcome - perhaps even deferring new TV day until the BV5 gives up.

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
504 Posts
Gold Member

We loved our BV5, mainly for the reason you motioned re the picture. It just seems so natural; the colours are not hyper-real like new TVs. Plus, I think it was the best looking Beovision they made. (just my opinion)

You probably won’t need to add any other sources but I had an Amazon Fire TV connected using a similar adapter. I loaded KODI on the Fire TV and was able to play Music and Video from my PC and use Amazon Music and Prime films. I also dabbled adding Plex, but never took that much futher as KODI seemed better for me.

I had 4 Beolab Pentas connected. It was just a brilliant TV with amazing sound. I sold the BV5 to very good friends who kept saying they wanted it. They still use it and love it. I have the Pentas in storage as one began to play up.

It is great you still love yours

Stoobie

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL