Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

dainsane
Not Ranked
Germany
8 Posts
Bronze Member
dainsane posted on Tue, Jan 28 2020 8:15 PM

Hi guys,

I am a new fan into the Beo world and as such I started making plans of buying a Beo turntable. Since the one I read about the most (and also like the most, even purely from a designer perspective) - Beogram 4002, is too expensive for me at this moment (but working on that), I started pointing some more affordable models (also as brands). Recently I found a Beogram 2200 with MMC 20 E cartridge on a very good price (100€). By the images it also looks in a very good condition. I couldn't find much comments or reviews about that model until I encounted this website. But still my question is: does it worth buying? Could you please tell me what should I consider when choosing a Beo turntable? Any additional info is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

All Replies

dainsane
Not Ranked
Germany
8 Posts
Bronze Member

So nobody could help me out here with some experiance sharing?

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
318 Posts
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Thu, Jan 30 2020 2:09 PM
dainsane:

So nobody could help me out here with some experiance sharing?

I haven’t owned one, but from an aesthetic point of view you have set your eyes on a most attractive deck.

This design is great and fits well into a contemporary setting without being too retro.

dainsane
Not Ranked
Germany
8 Posts
Bronze Member

Well... Jacob Jensen did his work.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,158 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jan 30 2020 3:36 PM

In general Bang & Olufsen never produced a bad record player.
They are all great decks in their own respect, for their cost, age etc.

Beogram 2200 was made to suit Beomaster 1900 and 2400 design wise but will work with all of the 1970s and 1980s Beomaster models.
There are better Beograms, but also costlier, and with a good needle it will provide excellent performance, even when using better amplifiers than the above mentioned.

Martin

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jan 30 2020 3:49 PM

I have a friend that used one for years when it was a new product back in the day. He never had a bad word to say about it, so I'd say it'd be a fine table.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

dainsane
Not Ranked
Germany
8 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you, guys!

As I mentioned my final goal is Beogram 4002. It is my favourite.
But for now I would stick to a lower cost range. Still sound quality maters to me Big Smile

Contacting the guy that sells it, it turned out there is some strange noise when playing the table. He described it "like a current buzz", like some cable is not attached well. He said that he checked it few times connecting it differently - buzz stays. Could it be because of dust collected through time? Or it is really a cable? Or else?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,886 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Jan 30 2020 8:07 PM
dainsane:

Thank you, guys!

As I mentioned my final goal is Beogram 4002. It is my favourite. But for now I would stick to a lower cost range. Still sound quality maters to me

Contacting the guy that sells it, it turned out there is some strange noise when playing the table. He described it "like a current buzz", like some cable is not attached well. He said that he checked it few times connecting it differently - buzz stays. Could it be because of dust collected through time? Or it is really a cable? Or else?

I have a Beogram 2200.

It was my first B&O product and I bought it around 1979-80.

I renovated it recently since the panel with the buttons malfunctioned and now it works great with new belt from Dillen. The pickup was refurbished in Germany.

It’s a nice deck and I use it weekly.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

dainsane
Not Ranked
Germany
8 Posts
Bronze Member
dainsane replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 12:55 PM

Hi again,

Here is an update from my side and a new question:

I have checked the Beogram 2200 mentioned at a restoration shop - all parts were in good condition except for the stylus which needed a retipping. Since the price of the turntable was good I bought it with the idea to send the cartridge for retipping in a shop in Berlin (I also live in Germany so that works for me).

Before I send it I found a second Beogram 2200 with stylus in perfect condition at ridiculously low price - with broken lid, without the veneer on the sides and a really terribly replaced DIN 5-plug with cheap RCA plugs. I thought "perfect for spare parts, especially when the cartridge is working". Bought that one too.

Now I have a working turntable with MMC 20 E cartridge that sounds great and looks perfect next to my Philips CD303 and Pioneer SA 506.

Recently from time to time the speed goes faster on start (I switch it to 45 then again to 33 and it normalizes) or have problems when playing records on 45 rpm. My thought is that the belt needs to be replaced. Please advise if this could be the case. If yes, should I go with the belt I see on Amazon ( https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B014M5CVBO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1DW1HKCVIU0T1&psc=1 ) or better to be safe with one from https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product/platter-belt-2/ ?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL