rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 0 Followers

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member
matador43 posted on Tue, Dec 24 2019 2:17 PM

Hi Guys,

I need to bring sound into my restrooms, to give guests a little "privacy" Big Smile

It's a perfect excuse to have another piece of B&O gear. My choice point towards the Beoplay A2 because it's form factor is perfect to what i need to do (hanging to a power socket, hide an Airport express behind, Aux-in Jack…). And i've found a second hand one for a fair price.

BUT, Searching the forum gave me the impression that that little speaker dont have the same love and praise that the Beoplay A1 (which sounds my Bathroom via Airplay too!).

Most of the critisicsm is about comparing it with the Beolit Range ut I didmd managed to get a clear idea of how it perform by itself compared to the A1 one the same use and without considering the size.

I'm amazed about the sound of the A1 so my question is: will the sound be as good or do i must expect some sort of deception because they're very different sound wise.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you alls.

All Replies

NessimelliM
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,613 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:

matador43:

Millemissen:
If they rather should be covered by ‘ambient music’, you would have to organize that......play to these speakers from a central point without the guests being involved - is that maybe what you want to?

Yes that what i want. There's always background music in the house and i want to voice it from a restroom source as it would be from the kitchen or the living room. People would choose to turn it on/off or louder/quieter using the BP2 commands but won't be able to choose the music track. Unless they have their phone with them and choose to pair the speaker by BT by themselves.

But usually guest don't spend too much time there when there's a good Bourbon in the living room so it's mostly to "cover" if necessary or better a proof of concept than really for the sake of listening the music they like comfortably seated.

I guess the better your cooking the less time your guests will need to spend in the rest rooms. Smile

Well said Jeff.....but then matador43 would not have his ‘proof of concept’.

I’d say - go for it....even if it is just for fun.

As for A1 vs A2 - why not just try it out!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:
I guess the better your cooking the less time your guests will need to spend in the rest rooms. Smile

Big Smile 

I should collect the A2 this afternoon… I'll show you when installed!

Tanks to all who helped.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

So, I collected the Beoplay A2 in Ocean Blue this afternoon.

First thing first: the sound is not disappointing at all: same good surprise as the A1 even if the A1 is more impressive, maybe because of its size.
Second: in the Beoplay App, there's an option to add another A2 as stereo pair. I thought it was only a feature with the A2 Active? Anyway.

I setup my little installation starting with the wired hook. You can't see it on the picture but the other end of the cable as a figure of 8 C4 plug to fit the AE:

Then the final assembly:

I've still to tweak little details like the visible part of the plug (will add a silver rim) and the painting and precise placement of the AE hidden behind (where it will not block any speaker and give stability to the speaker against the wall). And to answer lawrencejmcook:

lawrencejmcook:
- The A2 has speakers on both of its flat sides. If you’re positioning it against a wall, it sounds best with at least an inch gap between it and the wall. This may be problematic if you choose to hang it from a hook directly against a wall.

The thickness of the AE and the plug/hook gives room to the speakers to breathe while keeping the A2 vertical.

Cheers!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Dec 26 2019 6:15 PM

What a nice, neat installation! It all tucks up well and looks quite professional.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
726 Posts
Founder
Well done - looks neat.

You can pair an A1 with an A1, an A2 (original) with an A2 (original), an A2 Active with an A2 Active, or an S3 with an S3. It should also work with Beolit 15/17, but I’ve never tried. To pair, the models must be identical.

I also have an A2 original in blue Smile
Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
779 Posts
Bronze Member
That’s a very nice install for the A2. I’ve really enjoyed mine.
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you guys,

Final result: the Airport Express is barely visible except from the full side.
The A2 is secured to the hook thanks to a looped rubber ring (hence the reverse position of the hook).

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
726 Posts
Founder
Looks great - very tidy! How did you attach the hook to the plug? Glue / screw / other?

Lawrence
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

lawrencejmcook:
Looks great - very tidy! How did you attach the hook to the plug? Glue / screw / other?

Lawrence

Well, to be honest  Sad

At first it was only glued with the double side red 3M double side  adhesive, which i believed to be "anything-proof".
But after two days with a pillow on the floor just in case, the hook start to slightly part off.

So i'm now in the process of adding a screw (the one fixing the round plate to the actual hook, but longer to hold the plug backplate within).
The red foil is there for adjustment purpose but would be removed to add stick to the screw.

After that, everything should be "really" done Smile

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
726 Posts
Founder
Thank you for sharing your ideas and method. You’ve given me food for thought. I’d never seen those very thin EU plugs until I came to Budapest.

L
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi everyone,

I don't think it worth a whole new thread so I'll post here hoping for someone to pass by :-).

Do you know if the Beoplay A2 has a standby timer as the A1 has?
I use them both the exact same way but the A2 seems to never go standby.

I think I've read somewhere all beoplay products have standby timer for (planet) energy saving but it seems mine not so I wonder if it's an issue or I misunderstood what i read.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
726 Posts
Founder
Hi Matador,

My A2 switches off some time after my iPhone stops playing to it. Maybe 15min afterwards.

Not sure if yours is staying on because it’s plugged into the mains.

Lawrence
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL