Is Bang and Olufsen in trouble?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 150 Replies | 0 Followers

Forester1
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member
Forester1 posted on Mon, Dec 16 2019 11:42 AM

How else can I interpret a delay of almost two weeks in hearing from them online about my Beosound Stage which has been accepted warrants a full refund? I was told "As soon as our headquarters confirm the process, we will notify you and the return shipping label will be provided" That was on 3rd December and I have heard nothing since.

So what is going on at Headquarters? If anyone has any contact, please help. I have run out of patience.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,393 Posts
Bronze Member

koning:

How low can you go?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
956 Posts
Bronze Member

Present: BL90, Moment, Core, BL6000, CD7000, 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
956 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

How low can you go?

MM

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
956 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

How low can you go?

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Dec 24 2019 11:05 PM

I hear that B&O has increased Danish chocolate rations for their employees from 30 to 25 gms a week!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

BeoMatthew
Not Ranked
44 Posts
Bronze Member

I don't know what the future holds for the video lineup, but from my many years on the inside I can tell you the hard reality of a company that small making televisions in any way shape or form was becoming truly gruesome to behold.

There's just not enough scale so you're buying panels ahead of time that will be "on the way out" at best by the time they're deliverable in their final form - so you're perpetually at odds with the customer expectation that the highest price = the latest and greatest panels. And I admit that B&O's modifications usually made last years panel look like next years' in terms of real viewing improvements, but it was never enough for most people. 

I sold a lot of BeoVisions in my time (and still own a few), but they were always to people who wanted them for their looks. These are the same people who'd pay $7,500 to put a $900 TV on a lift so they didn't have to see i

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,697 Posts
Gold Member
Jeff:

I hear that B&O has increased Danish chocolate rations for their employees from 30 to 25 gms a week!

Big Smile
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,507 Posts
Bronze Member

seethroughyou:
Millemissen:

How low can you go?

MM

You mean that you are deaf, blind and are in denial that this forum is a part of: "is Bang & Olufsen in trouble"?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,393 Posts
Bronze Member

Carolpa:

You mean that you are deaf, blind and are in denial that this forum is a part of: "is Bang & Olufsen in trouble"?

This forum is slowly turning into something that scares B&O newcomers away from B&O.

But maybe that is what the dedicated crepe hangers want!

MM

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
908 Posts
Bronze Member

Hey there,

I wish everybody a merry Christmas!

I can sort of see both viewpoints. On the one side, B&O has done well in surviving and there are certainly a lot of intelligent people at Struer thinking about what to do in order to stay competitive in an increasingly difficult market. Just as an indication: look at what is happening to the second hand market right now. While there still seems to be demand for the truely vintage stuff like Beomaster 8000 and the likes (most likely caused by scarcity of supply), prices for the mid80s to late 90s products that receive so much praise on here are on a radical decline (supply is still plentiful and demand is sharply decreasing). The Beocenter 9500, although truely great, fetches roughly 250 Euros if in good condition and Pentas quite frequently sell for even less than that here in Germany now. Apparently society, culture, customers' tastes etc. have changed such there is no longer much demand for these iconic calssics. In this regard, probably those writing here on the forum are not really representative, since it is us who tend to like B&O exactly for what they did back then. But you can't survive based on what a minority desires. Therefore, there is a need to adapt, and adapt they have done fairly well from my point of view.

However, on the other hand, I also see a lot of problems with the newer products and particularly the design. Jacob Jensen and David Lewis really left a mark here and with both of them gone apparently no successor was able to fill the void until now. What is more, competition has caught up and the often-cited magic is too expensive to produce. It also seems to be increasingly difficult to come up with an easily distiguishable and coherent design language. Everybody is copying everybody, quality material inputs are very expensive now, costs of production need to be cut, etc. Therefore, the niche B&O used to serve is getting narrower and narrower and while I can appreciate some of the efforts they took in order to accomplish that goal, others may have been less glorious. More specifically, there were quite a couple of quality problems, something unseen with the company some time ago. Still I like what they are doing and am very positive that there is plenty more to come that will please many of us in the future.

Cheers,

Kai

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
482 Posts
Gold Member
Nice and thoughtful elaborated Kai.

Yes - thumbs up
tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,356 Posts
Gold Member

I would rather not see this forum degenerate into a picture board. Please elaborate a bit more on whatever you have to say.

--mika

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,093 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 5:52 PM

Its this forum that scares off new customers?

Some would suggest its selling AV equipment at very premium prices in todays world, especially those beset by sub standard software and a lack of consistent iconic designs might really the problem.

Negativity only comes with problems.

But of course, they've done nothing wrong.

Please do call the CEo and tell him he is wrong to describe the company in a crisis.

Millemissen:

Carolpa:

This forum is slowly turning into something that scares B&O newcomers away from B&O.

But maybe that is what the dedicated crepe hangers want!

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 5:58 PM

Given the issues with too many B&O products lately, if this forum scares off potential buyers perhaps that's good, for them if not for B&O.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

BOBrb
Top 500 Contributor
85 Posts
Bronze Member
BOBrb replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 7:14 PM

However,

one shouldn't puff up two unanswered emails here if something is about to be fixed with a software update for a new product.

Page 7 of 11 (151 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL