BS Essence and Penta+S8

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 posted on Sat, Nov 30 2019 5:10 PM

Hi there, 

I've sold my Essence Mk2 to someone via our local classifieds site. He is trying to setup the Essence Mk2 with two Penta Mk3s + an S8 sub. The S8 works fine but the Penta's don't give any sound. Not on PL1 nor on PL2. My guess was that it's the DIN>RJ45 converter, but he claims to have tested that already. 

Any of you some idea of what could be amiss? I want to help him set it all up, but am at a loss now...

All Replies

lawrencejmcook
Top 500 Contributor
206 Posts
Founder
Suggestions:

- Is the RJ45 to DIN Powerlink adapter fully wired? I think the BeoLab with displays need all 8 pins to be wired.

- Are the Powerlink cables between the adapter and the speakers fully wired?

- Are the speaker cables daisy-chained? Try connecting each Penta directly to the Essence, without the S8.

- Are the switches on the Pentas set correctly? One should be set to L and one to R (sorry to state the obvious, but they do have an OFF setting).

Good luck,

Lawrence

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,476 Posts
Bronze Member

The problem is, that the RJ45/PL port on the Essence (and the newer products)  probably will not provide enough power to trigger the amps of the BL Penta’s..

There is, however a solution for that.

Please contact Steve/SoundsHeavenly direct - he should have the solution.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Sun, Dec 1 2019 12:45 PM

Thanks for your help! The RJ45<>DIN connector was faulty. It’s working atm 👍

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,640 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks MM!

Yes, this is fairly typical of an adapter that isn't fully wired.  The Pentas should work reliably when a fully wired adapter like this one is used (the trigger current for the Pentas is quite low, as they drain the signal through a 47k resistor if I remember correctly):-

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/27-313-rj45-powerlink-compatible-splitter-new-powerlink-to-two-8-pin-din-powerlink-compatible-sockets.html#/20-length-02m

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL