Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 0 Followers

hee8336
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
hee8336 posted on Mon, Nov 25 2019 2:19 AM

Hello guys,

I really want to get a B&O speaker.

Recently, I found a website selling 2nd Generation A9 for A$2160. 

Currently, 4th Generation is selling for A$3200.

I'm wondering whether there are huge difference between 2nd Gen and 4th Gen. 

Do you guys think it's still worth to get 2nd Gen?

May I have some comments and feedback from you guys please? 

Thank you

All Replies

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,798 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Nov 25 2019 7:51 AM
The A9 is supposed to be noticeably more powerful. Not that the MK2 is not loud, but I guess if you have a large space to fill sound wise, the newer one might be more appropriate.

I have the 2, for my bedroom, and inclusion of Google Assistant is a problem for me, so I wouldn't go near the MK4
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,145 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Nov 25 2019 10:41 AM

hee8336:

Recently, I found a website selling 2nd Generation A9 for A$2160. 

Currently, 4th Generation is selling for A$3200.

I'd go for the MK-2 personally. I own(ed) a MK-1 and it was phenomenal. No idea why it would need to be more powerful. I did a test in the Berlin B&O store compared the Edge, Stage and A9 and the A9 came out on top, over even the Edge. And the dealer agreed.

I'd save some cash and get the MK-2. I hate those silly 4 red LEDs you see behind the speaker cloth, too, on the MK-4.

hee8336
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
hee8336 replied on Mon, Nov 25 2019 12:42 PM

thank you for the reply!

hee8336
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
hee8336 replied on Mon, Nov 25 2019 12:42 PM

thank you for the reply!

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Gold Member
A9 4th gen has, iirc, some DSP magic that will correct for listening-room variances. I believe that I saw a B&O engineer talk abou it on a YT video. Or was it Geoff M.?
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,504 Posts
Bronze Member
I have a Mk2 and I love it.

It’s powerful enough for me and does all of the b&o multiroom netlink stuff that the mk1 didn’t do.

I do wish it had google assistant as I love the GA. I get why others don’t.

The 4 is more powerful and does 360 sound if I recall correctly.

But if it’s going against a wall I would go for another mk2 considering the price differential.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,145 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Nov 26 2019 2:04 PM

BeoFrederic:
A9 4th gen has, iirc, some DSP magic that will correct for listening-room variances. I believe that I saw a B&O engineer talk abou it on a YT video. Or was it Geoff M.?

Who knows? It's not worth an extra $1000. Trust me on that. And 'magic' really is something I take with a pinch of salt. I think 'magic' is used by B&O staff to convince potential purchasers you're paying for something really special...

OlivierC
Not Ranked
71 Posts
Bronze Member
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is any significant improvement in sound quality?

I am asking because the appearance between those versions is nearly the same but internally the hardware is completely different.

I am sure MK4 sounds louder but I am wondering if it is also sounding better.

Today MK2’s can be found at very good prices and I have an empty spot in a 7x5x3 m room. Whistle

Thank you.

Olivier
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,504 Posts
Bronze Member
I think the A9 is the best bang for buck speaker in the range.

The Mk2 sounds amazing to me so Oli I wouldn’t go passed it.
Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
447 Posts
Silver Member

The A9 MK2 is what I have an absolutely recommend it. The sound is solid and it’s very versatile for all types of music. It gets really load so volume is not a problem. However, B&O might have improved the overall sound of the A9. The recent updates by B&O have all led to decent improvements. 

Personally, I’d save the $1000. I can use Siri from my iPhone or iPad  with AirPlay 2 on the A9 MK2 with no problems. 

My B&O Home: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beoplay M5 (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • Beoremote X (better than Eclipse and Halo Big Smile)

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
1,741 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Fri, Nov 29 2019 1:00 PM

I'm also the happy owner of a mkII (90years rose golden special edition), and I absolutely love it, feature wise and sound wise.

If that's interesting for you, there is Spotify Connect on the MKII, and it has disappeared since the MKIII. I use it as the main music source of a Google Home mini which is hidden nearby, so Google Home integration can be done without getting a mk4.

I've not heard the mk4, but it should be a nice improvement of the sound with more amps and more loudspeakers. The issue is that the price has jumped to another level.

But the biggest issue of the mk4 is that i've heard on this forum that someone complained of hearing a hissing sound on standby : if the amp is always running just to answer your voice requests, I fear for the longevity of the electronics and I would buy another MKII instead of a MK4. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,145 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Nov 29 2019 1:38 PM

mbee:

If that's interesting for you, there is Spotify Connect on the MKII, and it has disappeared since the MKIII.

I use this function quite a bit on my BeoSound 2. Direct contact to the speaker and I find it never ever loses the connection or drops it in any form. Much better than going through AirPlay.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,424 Posts
Bronze Member

Exactly that is the reason, why I’d go for an MK2.

I don’t use Google for voice commands (she seldom understands, what I tell her to play) and Spotify Connect is what I use in my Beo-setup as my main music source.

The MK3 or 4 may be better soundwise, but - also concidering the current price difference - to me it would not justify loosing the support for Spotify Connect.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
447 Posts
Silver Member

I have an MK2,  but was able to hear the new 4th generation recently. To me it definitely sounds better than the MK2. However, of it justifies the cost is up to the buyer. If it were me, I’d get the 4th gen over the MK2. The MK2 is a really good sounding speaker but the 4th gen is the best single speaker system I have ever hear. It does a great job of filling the room. 

My B&O Home: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beoplay M5 (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • Beoremote X (better than Eclipse and Halo Big Smile)

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL