rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Jens Rendboell
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Jens Rendboell posted on Wed, Sep 11 2019 1:58 PM

I have a Beocord 7000 in my setup. How much better is the Beocord 9000 in terms of recording and playback?

Is it possible to control the Beocord 9000 through datalink with Beomaster 7000 / Beolink 1000?

I know the two datalink protocols are different, but I wonder if they share the same code for play, stop, forward, which are the most important controls?

Is the Beocord 9000 controlled through the Beomaster (8000/6000) or can it be controlled independently with a remote control?

I use the Beocord 7000 to record new music on LPs from the library and these tape recordings have better dynamics than the compressed digital mastering you can get on CD / high resolution downloads.

And then it is legal, as opposed to copying CDs :-)

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,051 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 11 2019 4:16 PM

How much better is the Beocord 9000 in terms of recording and playback?

- Quite a bit - if set up correctly. A Beocord 8004 would be my choice. It's not quite as demanding and the difference in performance is incredibly small.
The autoreverse is what compromises quality.

Is it possible to control the Beocord 9000 through datalink with Beomaster 7000 / Beolink 1000?

- Yes.

Is the Beocord 9000 controlled through the Beomaster (8000/6000) or can it be controlled independently with a remote control?

- Only through a Beomaster. It has no remote receiver of its own.

Martin

Jens Rendboell
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks, Martin :-)

Cool that you can connect the two systems.

So, it would improve the quality of recording and playback on the 7000, if you reverse the cassette manually?

Is that also the case with the 8004/9000?

Is it better at both recording and playback, or would it be possible to record with the 8004/9000 and playback on the 7000 without compromising quality?

Jens

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,051 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Sep 12 2019 6:26 AM

So, it would improve the quality of recording and playback on the 7000, if you reverse the cassette manually?
- No, Beocord 7000 would have been a better deck if it had no autoreverse function - regardless of you using the function or not.
It would have been as good as the Beocord 5000 (plus Dolby C).
Beocord 7000 was produced with user convenience over quality. (Autoreverse was a selling point at the time and no livingroom users would notice any difference in quality anyways).
The record/playback tapehead in most autoreverse decks can move around, it will never be as stabile as a deck with a steady head.

Is that also the case with the 8004/9000?
- They are not autoreverse decks.

Is it better at both recording and playback, or would it be possible to record with the 8004/9000 and playback on the 7000 without compromising quality?
- It always gives the best results if you record and playback on the same deck. Especially if using a deck with combined record/playback head, and particularly if using an autoreverse deck, where the head cannot be guaranteed to be in the exact same position twice.

But does it all matter?
That depends...
Can you detect a change in s/n ratio of 0,5dB?
Can you tell whether a decks frequency range goes up to 18KHz or 20KHz?

Beocord 9000 was called the "best cassettedeck in the world", and it WAS just a tiny fraction of a very small step ahead of its competitions.
A recently serviced and completely and sharply calibrated Beocord 9000 CAN make better results than all other Beocords, but it's with such
a small margin, just measurable if you have very good instrumentation and ONLY if you allow it to calibrate to each tape you load.
I'd say you cannot hear the difference down to f.e. Beocord 8004 - which is not at all as sensitive to correct calibration and doesn't take a
lot of hours to calibrate.
If you strive for good quality in normal daily use, I would choose a Beocord 8004.
Beocord 5000 if you want the stacking solution.
Even Beocord 3300 (which also has HX-PRO) performs surprisingly good.

But would you be able to tell the difference from any of the above to a well serviced Beocord 2000?

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL