B&O would listen to potential buyer of company

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 32 Replies | 1 Follower

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,443 Posts
Bronze Member
Simonbeo posted on Fri, Aug 23 2019 8:46 AM

an article this morning https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-bang-olufsen-m-a/bang-olufsen-would-listen-if-approached-by-buyer-chairman-idUKKCN1VD0MB

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

All Replies

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,047 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 12:03 PM

Could we all club together and buy the company? Whistle

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
243 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

Could we all club together and buy the company? Whistle

Probably

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,435 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 1:58 PM

predictable, and predicted here before.

Not all buyers are created equal - Apple buying them would be very different from some opportunistic investor with limited track record in the space.

Not clear why any of the big tech companies would actually even buy B&O? What would they be getting exactly that they need?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,213 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 5:02 PM
This article doesn’t really tell us anything new. As a public company B&O is obliged to listen to offers/enquiries if they appear genuine. That’s all part of being a listed company. The directors have to act in the interests of shareholders.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,822 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 5:06 PM

Sandyb:

Not clear why any of the big tech companies would actually even buy B&O? What would they be getting exactly that they need?

Possibly a few trademarked inventions/ideas, but are there many of these left?

I've been involved with a few big company buyouts in the past and they nearly always end in tears. The company buying tends to want a small part of the company and often splits it up or sells off various parts.

It's very rare for a company to buy another company 100% and simply keep it 'as is'.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,462 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 6:01 PM

moxxey:

Sandyb:

I've been involved with a few big company buyouts in the past and they nearly always end in tears. The company buying tends to want a small part of the company and often splits it up or sells off various parts.

It's very rare for a company to buy another company 100% and simply keep it 'as is'.

About the only time I can recall that in audio was with McIntosh, which thankfully is still acting like McIntosh. B&O has forgotten how to be B&O, and I doubt any company buying them, especially a Chinese holding company, knows how to be B&O either sadly.

Just an off the cuff observation, I recently purchased a new car that has a B&O branded/Harman audio system in it. It sounds identical to all the other three Harman car systems in cars I drove, from Harman branded, to Revel branded. Harman has homogenized all of the brands to sound the same, the only thing different is the dashboard brand name logo.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,593 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:

Sandyb:

Hasn't that already happened in part!

Ban boring signatures!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,047 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 7:32 PM

B&O would make a good 'Halo Brand' for someone like LG.

What's left of the brand name, plus some very good technical people. That's all B&O has to offer from a buyers perspective, unless you're looking to build a huge art- hotel in the middle of nowhere, complete with sheep...

Lee

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member
One cannot go without sheep Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

ed7
Top 500 Contributor
88 Posts
Bronze Member
ed7 replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 8:31 PM

Correctamundo  ,I totally agree with you here ,shame B&O been rudderless for a while and Bang olufsen are as much we love their (some) products are stubborn !

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
243 Posts
Bronze Member

Duels:
This article doesn’t really tell us anything new. As a public company B&O is obliged to listen to offers/enquiries if they appear genuine. That’s all part of being a listed company. The directors have to act in the interests of shareholders.

I read 2 quotes that caused the PR person to deny the company was put up for sale. That IS new and probably not good form. 

ed7
Top 500 Contributor
88 Posts
Bronze Member
ed7 replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 9:30 PM

Interesting reading in another article!Surprise

Sparkle Roll

Investors may now be asking themselves why B&O’s board was so determined to fend off a 2016 takeover attempt. Back then, Sparkle Roll -- a company controlled by Chinese billionaire Qi Jianhong -- indicated it was interested in buying B&O as it built up a major stake. But Andersen rebuffed its overtures, referring to the uncertainty surrounding a potential bid. That was three years ago, when a B&O share cost considerably more than now.

Andersen has more time to focus on B&O these days, after being ousted from the head of the board of Danske Bank late last year in connection with a $230 billion money laundering scandal. His departure was forced through by A.P. Moller, the biggest shareholder in Danske. Andersen has also agreed to step down as chairman of food-ingredient maker Chr. Hansen.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

ed7:
Investors may now be asking themselves why B&O’s board was so determined to fend off a 2016 takeover attempt. Back then, Sparkle Roll -- a company controlled by Chinese billionaire Qi Jianhong -- indicated it was interested in buying B&O as it built up a major stake. But Andersen rebuffed its overtures, referring to the uncertainty surrounding a potential bid. That was three years ago, when a B&O share cost considerably more than now.

I seem to remember it was the other way around, I.e. Sparkle couldn't or wouldn't provide the credentials and lost interest in the process, The worst part is actually the longer this goes on the more the brand value gets diluted.

IMHO the only remaining value is in the Play segment, unfortunately extremely volatile and the Beolab range where one of the two most expensive speakers have gained a somewhat dubious reliability reputation. In the lower end of the speaker range, the driver is based on a 30 year old iconic design, and as much as love and admire that speaker, it needs some siblings to play with!

It's going to be a tough sell, especially with the overhead needed for the "own store" concept to operate,- perhaps the true achilles heel!

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
576 Posts
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Sat, Aug 24 2019 12:43 PM
9 LEE:

B&O would make a good 'Halo Brand' for someone like LG.

What's left of the brand name, plus some very good technical people. That's all B&O has to offer from a buyers perspective, unless you're looking to build a huge art- hotel in the middle of nowhere, complete with sheep...

Lee

A luxury spa is not a bad idea Smile

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL