Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 6 Followers

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
26 Posts
Bronze Member
tlk posted on Fri, Aug 9 2019 12:15 PM

Hi there,

I thought it would be nice to be able to remote control my Beoplay M5 speakers from macOS, so I created a little proof-of-concept tool to be able to do just that. The code is available at https://github.com/tlk/beoplay-macos-remote-gui and you need to build the software yourself with the latest XCode beta if you want to try it out.

With this little tool it is no longer necessary to reach out for your phone (and open the B&O app) to adjust the spotify volume or stop/start a tuneIn radio station - just scroll the little volume slider in the mac status menu or use the keyboard shortcuts.

I previously asked for suggestions on how to remote control the Beoplay volume over at Spotify, and it seems like other people have been looking for something similar.

Would it by any chance be possible for B&O to consider making a functionally similar piece of software available through the MacOS Appstore?

Best regards,

Thomas

Screenshot:

All Replies

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
2,012 Posts
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:11 PM

Moved from another thread:

As I’m spending a lot of time on my Mac so I found interesting to be able to perform basic controls of my B&O products from it without the need to always have a remote or a smart device close to me.

I usually launch a music flow with the relevant product/app (Deezer, internet radio, DLNA, B&O app, Deezer app, Plexamp app) against my speaker(s).

Then If I need to perform simple actions against the current music flow going on the speaker(s) such as track/radio pause/play/forward/backward , controlling the volume, starting/joining/stopping another I use the Mac app for that.

This is particularly useful when you have to take a phone call, start/stop a speaker in a room where you plan to move.

While working with the developer, my goal was to have a simple tool for basic actions, like an Essence remote to control multiple products. All credits to the developer for his nice work!

Below are pictures of how the app exposes my products and the controls.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
2,012 Posts
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:30 PM

beojeff:

I can get this working on my mac. However, there are no sources. Nor is there a TuneIn entry or dropdown list. It would be nice to have a "preferences" option. Also, it's a bit annoying that the window disappears after every click on an entry. It would be nice to keep the window up until we're finished with it.

About the sources: the app is looking for the sources you have defined as local sources in your B&O product

About the TuneIn configuration, you can find information here, as well as for other settings: https://github.com/tlk/beoplay-macos-remote-gui/blob/master/Configuration.md

About the B&O icon: I built it myself and added into the Xcode project.

About the window closing too early: the latest version keeps the window open up to the point you are validating the action for a given product. Prior version had the window closing after each single action e.g. selecting a product was closing the window that you had to reopen to perform the action on the previously selected product. I understand the point of keeping the window open up you decide to close, but according to the developer (if i remember well), this type of popup window cannot cope with that.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,481 Posts
Bronze Member

No need to redirect/repost my questions here - I see, that hey have already been answered.

Thanks!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,953 Posts
Bronze Member

mbolo01:

beojeff:

I can get this working on my mac. However, there are no sources. Nor is there a TuneIn entry or dropdown list. It would be nice to have a "preferences" option. Also, it's a bit annoying that the window disappears after every click on an entry. It would be nice to keep the window up until we're finished with it.

About the sources: the app is looking for the sources you have defined as local sources in your B&O product

About the TuneIn configuration, you can find information here, as well as for other settings: https://github.com/tlk/beoplay-macos-remote-gui/blob/master/Configuration.md

About the B&O icon: I built it myself and added into the Xcode project.

About the window closing too early: the latest version keeps the window open up to the point you are validating the action for a given product. Prior version had the window closing after each single action e.g. selecting a product was closing the window that you had to reopen to perform the action on the previously selected product. I understand the point of keeping the window open up you decide to close, but according to the developer (if i remember well), this type of popup window cannot cope with that.

I was able to get the B&O icon by cut and pasting the code into Terminal. However, the rest is beyond me and I can't understand it.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
696 Posts
Bronze Member

No at home this weekend so can't test it.

Does this software only work with BeoPlay devices or should it also work with my BeoVision 14? Would be very handy to controle the volume of my music through the app!

Karel.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
2,012 Posts
Bronze Member

The developper only had one Beoplay product, I personally tested it successfully against all my products (BS Moment, Core and several Beoplay), but I can't confirm for a BV. Waiting for your experience then !

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,867 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 7:28 PM
Could initiate TuneIn on my M3.

My A6 did not work.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
696 Posts
Bronze Member

mbolo01:

The developper only had one Beoplay product, I personally tested it successfully against all my products (BS Moment, Core and several Beoplay), but I can't confirm for a BV. Waiting for your experience then !

That'll be be something for tomorrow evening :-)

Karel.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,481 Posts
Bronze Member

mbolo01:

My V1 and the Avant 1. Gen are both recognized as well.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
909 Posts
Bronze Member
This is very cool, thanks for the development!!!

This is meant to work with all NL devices? Not airplay though?

Do i need to run this from mac or is there some way to do from IOS.

Anyone planning to release an dmg file?
mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
2,012 Posts
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Sep 20 2020 10:21 AM
steve1977:

This is very cool, thanks for the development!!!

This is meant to work with all NL devices? Not airplay though?

Do i need to run this from mac or is there some way to do from IOS.

Anyone planning to release an dmg file?

I have tested with several NL products already, only the Moment has some issues with the App.

If you are streaming AP to one NL product, the app can control it too, same controls than the IOS B&O app can do.

It’s only a Mac app

There is a DMG provided by the developer on its GitHub page. PM me if you want more information.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
696 Posts
Bronze Member

Downloaded in on my iMac.

It does find my BeoVision 14. But changing the volume does not work. So I guess it only works for the BeoPlay range of devices.

Karel.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
2,012 Posts
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Sep 20 2020 12:20 PM
kuyttendaele:

Downloaded in on my iMac.

It does find my BeoVision 14. But changing the volume does not work. So I guess it only works for the BeoPlay range of devices.

Karel.

Now we know Sad

Thanks

Ramasjang
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi TLK

Any chance to make your code run on macOS Big Sur?

Thanks.

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
26 Posts
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Mon, Sep 21 2020 2:22 PM

Hello there :-)

I am very happy if this little tool proves useful to other people and it is great to see screenshots and get feedback on what works and what does not.

As mbolo01 mentioned I have only tested the app with the M5, so perhaps I should add a disclaimer: using this tool is on your own responsibility - should you believe that your $1mio speakers have caught fire and burned down your castle then please don't come chasing me :-)

Jeff, you mentioned a Preferences window. I agree, it would make a lot of sense to have that. In addition to the current settings that can already be configured from the command line it would also be convenient with a checkbox to allow the program to start automatically as a login item. Currently that has to be done manually under System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items:

Millemissen, Hiort and kuyttendaele, thanks for testing!

Steve, I will look into releasing an updated dmg-file. Thank you for the excitement :-) I am not entirely sure what NL means, but basically the macOS app mimics what the official iOS app does. I simply looked at what commands the iOS app is sending to the M5 device and then I wrote some code to do the same. This was my first experience with Xcode/Swift and macOS GUI development so I am sure that experienced macOS developers will throw their arms up in the air in despair when looking at the code :-)

Ramasjang, I have not experienced any problems with the current code on macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta. Is there anything in particular on your mind? Most welcome to continue this topic over on github #25.

best regards,
  Thomas
Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL