BeoLab 14 in Dolby Atmos setup

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

AudioNewb
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
AudioNewb posted on Wed, Aug 7 2019 3:44 PM

Hi All, i am new to the forum and looking for some advise on a new living room setup I am planning. My AV knowledge is minimal so any help is much appreciated.

A few years ago I bought a BeoLab 14 setup which I would finally like to make use of. So what I want is to creat an Atmos setup using these speakers. I have some canton 880’s which is ideally like to use but I would consider buying some beovox 2-2’s if they are recommended. Anyway, the advice I need is which AV receiver would work for my needs, I’m looking to spend around £500 and have been looking at the denon AVR -X3500H, I believe all speakers plus are 8ohms, which the denon supports.

would the denon be a good option for me? Should I change the ceiling speakers I have? Any help would be much appreciated before I make any costly mistakes.

thanks in advance.

All Replies

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
191 Posts
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Wed, Aug 7 2019 8:17 PM

I have a BL14, and in all honesty, if you want to create that 7.2 Atmos setup in its truest sense, you're better off finding a second BL14 2.1 set to add to your 5.1 (I assume you have the 5.1).

I have the 5.1 myself, and am in between 3rd party receivers. However, I'm probably going to just go with the newer Marantz 1710 (I think that's the model), to just give me the Atmos Height Virtualization feature. 7 speakers is pretty extensive for my medium room, and I don't want to source a second-hand 2.1 set. 

I do have a Pioneer VSX-534, which has the Atmos Height Virtualization feature too, but I'm going to switch out to the Marantz and sell off the Pioneer.

Hope that helps.

AudioNewb
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Earle, thanks for taking the time to respond. I’m not sure how easy it is to get hold of a 2.1 setup, or how they would look as ceiling speakers? I should have said, I have the 5.1 BeoLab 14 setup. I’ll look into the 2.1 options, would be great to hear what others are doing also.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,571 Posts
Gold Member

Hi AudioNewB,

Welcome to Beoworld!

Yes, the Denon AVR-X3500H receiver is a good choice, as this has RCA pre-out sockets for easy connection of the Beolab speakers, plus regular speaker terminals for your other (non-B&O) speakers.  I would also suggest looking at the Pioneer SC-LX59, Yamaha RX-A830 or RX-V775 AV processors/receivers, all of which have audio pre-out sockets for easy connection of Beolab speakers for a Dolby surround sound setup.

To link the Beolab 14 subwoofer to the pre-out sockets of this receiver for 5.1 channel sound, please use three of these cables:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/65-366-rj45-powerlink-compatible-to-twin-phono-cable-output-from-new-bo-devices-to-amps-receivers-etc.html#/2-length-1m

As Earle has mentioned, two Beolab 14 systems together sound superb via an AV receiver, the challenge would be finding another Beolab 14 (or an S8, which uses the same speakers).

Please ask if you have any questions!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL