rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 0 Followers

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
859 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri posted on Mon, Jul 15 2019 5:38 PM
I’m looking for recommendations for simply recorded, but also accurate recordings of solo guitar work with or without vocals. I want to try to simulate someone playing in my room, without having to force my son for a command performance. It could be acoustic or electric, and any genre. So please tell me your favorite recordings that give you the “they are here” feeling. Thanks

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

All Replies

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,392 Posts
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Jul 20 2019 11:02 AM

Django Reinhardt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pWHtaoLpKag

100 tracks.... not just solo, but worth a listen.

Graham

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
931 Posts
Bronze Member

The other day my neighbor was listening to this and through his door I really believed he was playing himself.

It's a guitar only cover for lesson purposes. Very natural sounding.

https://youtu.be/hoFKNEBWy1k

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
670 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Jul 20 2019 3:52 PM

Jeff:

If you're willing to consider duets and such, Al DiMeola and Paco De Lucia have released numerous albums together, acoustic with heavy flamenco and Spanish influences. Both are brilliant guitarists. On the DiMeola album "Elegant Gypsy" the pair did a duet called "Mediterranean Sundance" that is brilliant, an incredible virtuoso performance by both of them. It's also amazing to realize that DiMeola was I think 23 when he recorded that album. People like that make you realize how little you've accomplished.

There's also a live album of DiMeola, De Lucia and John McLaughlin - Friday Night in San Francisco   We used to use this to compare sound systems back in college. On a good set, it really sounds like you're sitting in the first few rows of the venue. The sound is mixed (or maybe not mixed) so that DiMeola is on the left, McLaughlin in the middle and De Lucia to the right (I may have my left and right mixed up) as it would sound if you were sitting close to the stage.  An amazing performance if you're into that type of music.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,771 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 20 2019 5:43 PM

That is indeed an excellent album Stan! You do get the feeling, on good speakers that image well, that you are really there. It captures the ambiance and vibe of a live performance well.

I get exposed to live music fairly often, my wife plays around with our Steinway baby grand and her harps, my brother-in-law plays sax in a good R&B band, and we have a delightful symphony orchestra who play in a local hall with outstanding acoustics. All of which makes me realize just how poorly most if not all recordings do at actually capturing the sound of live instruments. The album you mention is one of the better attempts at this though.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,172 Posts
Bronze Member

Here is another suggestion.

Laurence Juber - Guitar Noir.

A 5.1 channel project (that requires a Blu Ray/DVD-A player).

Look for details here:

https://www.aixrecords.dreamhosters.com/product/laurence-juber-guitar-noir/

Guitar Noir - and a lot of the other albums from Lawrence Juber - is available on Spotify (as a 2 channel version).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,172 Posts
Bronze Member

And this - the two live albums from Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds:

Live at Luther College

and 

Live in Las Vegas (which is also available as video on Blu Ray disc - unfortunately only US version).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL