Beolab 50 and Turntables - Is the sound digitised

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 91 Replies | 0 Followers

Epsilon20
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Silver Member
Epsilon20 posted on Thu, Jun 27 2019 3:19 PM

Hi Guys, I've been offered a LINN Sondek LP12 at a great price to use with my Beolab 50s  and considering buying it however. The Beolab 50s and more recent speakers  as i understand it is a digital speaker and if i were to connect the turntable to the speakers via the phono in (first through a phono stage) the speaker would digitise the sound which takes away the whole reason of getting a Turnable /analogue source.

Am i correct in thinking that turntables with B&O systems of recent times 17s, 18s, 20,50's & 90s is pointless if you want an analogue sound? I hope not Crying 

I've already bought Vinyls and was about to pay for the Linn sondek which is an absolutely beautiful and great sounding turntable.

Beovision Eclipse 55 Brass Edition with Oak covers and Brass Orbital stand

Beolab 50s silver & Oak, Beolab 18 Brass with Smoked Oak, Beolab 18 Rose Gold with Maple Covers, Beolab 19 Black.

All Replies

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,661 Posts
Bronze Member

Geoff Martin:
Note as well that the typical crosstalk of a good phono stylus is about -30 to -40 dB. So, if you have something on the vinyl record that is ONLY in the left channel (assuming that this is possible) and you play it with a very good cartridge (I looked at the spec's for this one as an example) then there will be a "copycat" signal on the right output of your stylus that is 0.0316 times the level of the left channel (= -30 dB). In this case, one could certainly argue that a 140 dB channel separation on an ADC that's downstream is overkill... :-)

Yes but this is authentic analogue crosstalk!Laughing

Ban boring signatures!

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
604 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

But there is a huge difference in how you can handle a speaker with a digital system vs an analog. Some of differences will manifest itself in audible differences. Miki has very accurately described a few without knowing it. The main difference is the digital systems ability to "know" the future, and thus be able to compensate "ahead" of time, which in part is why you get the tiny 25u or 100us delay in the 50 or the 90. The analog system reacts instantaneously based on laws of physics where as the digital system can create laws of physics on its own!

Now I'm getting pedantic... however, here goes...

The latency (delay) of both the BL50 and the 90 will either be 25 ms or 100 ms, depending on the settings in the menus. (Note that this is milliseonds, not microseconds.)

The reason for this is not for the loudspeakers to know the future. (although that statement is only mostly true.... ) The (main) reason is that the directivity control is done using FIR filters that require a significant amount of time in order to alter the phase of low-frequency signals sent to the woofers. The lower the frequency you want to control the phase of, the longer the FIR filter has to be. This is also why the 25 ms latency mode does not have the same ability to maintain a narrow beam width at lower frequencies...

(Note that the FIR filters are not "linear phase" filters - just before anyone jumps to conclusions.  A linear phase filter is an FIR filter, but an FIR filter is not necessarily linear phase.)

Cheers
-geoff 

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,585 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for dropping some knowledge on us, I stand corrected in my assumption.

May I ask though, why does the product page on the website list lab 50's as having 1 dsp and the lab 90's as having two of them? And what's the difference there?

Also in both whitepapers the dsp' are listed as the same in both speakers at the same frequency but when you look up the part nr the ones in the 90's run at 450Mhz vs 400Mhz in the 50's, is this a copy paste thing or are they the same?

Thank you in advance!

Michael/Mikipedia

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,585 Posts
Gold Member

(Iam not sure if my last comment went to moderation or not)

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for dropping some knowledge on us, I stand corrected Big Smile

A question I have though is, why on the product page are the 50's listed as having one dsp and the 90's listed as having two? And if there is something to that, what's the difference there? Also if you look at both white papers they both list speakers as having the same dsp's at the same frequency, but if you look up the part numbers the 90's should run at 450Mhz and the 50's at 400Mhz. Is that a copy paste thing or is this accurate? Just wondering how they technically differ and why and such.

Thank you in advance!

Michael/Mikipedia

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
604 Posts
Bronze Member

One last thing...

To answer the question posed in the topic of this thread:

yes.

Smile

Cheers
-geoff 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,661 Posts
Bronze Member

Geoff Martin:

One last thing...

To answer the question posed in the topic of this thread:

yes.

Smile

Cheers
-geoff 

I would say Yes, if he means an all analogue signal path, and No if he means "sounds non-analogue" (whatever that is)

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 3 2019 4:12 PM

Puncher:

Yes but this is authentic analogue crosstalk!Laughing

Big Smile

And analog surface noise!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
604 Posts
Bronze Member

deleted

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,585 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Geoff,

Thank you! DM'ed you again, but just in case, my public email address is mikipedi4@gmail.com Big Smile

Thanks again in advance.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,585 Posts
Gold Member
Hi geoff,

I don’t know where my messages are going, sent another 3 now, 2 to this thread(with questions) and sent you another DM. Just in case, iam now trying via the app, one of my email adresses is mikipedi4@gmail.com Big Smile

Thank you in advance.

Michael

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,097 Posts
Bronze Member
I am waiting for my 50s to be delivered. Thank you very much Geoff for all of the information you provided here. Makes me even more eager for them to arrive. Thanks again!

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,585 Posts
Gold Member

PM'ed you once again Geoff, Thanks in advance!

michael

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 3 2019 10:04 PM

Er der ikke en bog 'Røv kysse dansk For begyndere?'

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,432 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Er der ikke en bog 'Røv kysse dansk For begyndere?'

Nice try 😂

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,432 Posts
Bronze Member

Geoff Martin:

apologies for using this forum to send a PM... but...

@mikipidia: I'm trying to respond to your message via an internal email via BeoWorld, but you seem to have that feature disabled. Send me a PM when you have enabled it and I'll answer you.

cheers
-geoff 

Hej Geoff,

should that fail, here is his email: mikipedi4@gmail.com 

(One that he himself has published here in his Beotalk thread).

Hilsen

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 6 of 7 (92 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL