Beolab 50 and Turntables - Is the sound digitised

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 91 Replies | 0 Followers

Epsilon20
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Silver Member
Epsilon20 posted on Thu, Jun 27 2019 3:19 PM

Hi Guys, I've been offered a LINN Sondek LP12 at a great price to use with my Beolab 50s  and considering buying it however. The Beolab 50s and more recent speakers  as i understand it is a digital speaker and if i were to connect the turntable to the speakers via the phono in (first through a phono stage) the speaker would digitise the sound which takes away the whole reason of getting a Turnable /analogue source.

Am i correct in thinking that turntables with B&O systems of recent times 17s, 18s, 20,50's & 90s is pointless if you want an analogue sound? I hope not Crying 

I've already bought Vinyls and was about to pay for the Linn sondek which is an absolutely beautiful and great sounding turntable.

Beovision Eclipse 55 Brass Edition with Oak covers and Brass Orbital stand

Beolab 50s silver & Oak, Beolab 18 Brass with Smoked Oak, Beolab 18 Rose Gold with Maple Covers, Beolab 19 Black.

All Replies

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,586 Posts
Gold Member
These are the lab 90’s

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
702 Posts
Silver Member

Millemissen:
Well, one is called master and the other slave.

Exactly how does that constitute evidence for the slave being passive and without a DSP?  

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,661 Posts
Bronze Member

Sound is a physical phenomena - it is, by it's very nature, anarogue! There is no such thing as a digital speaker, the transducers are mechanical and analogue.

A speaker accepting a digital input should not cloud how good an actual speaker is - it is, in effect, moving the conversion from the CD player to the actual speaker cabinet - not the speaker itself!

If you want speakers with digital inputs then go for it!

Ban boring signatures!

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,586 Posts
Gold Member
Iam not a 100% sure but 99%.

The lab 90 white paper lists the same specs so i think in the white paper it’s a copy pasta thing Stick out tongue. A while back the product pages for instance also stated that the 18’s had a 6.5” woofer, which was also a copy pasta thing from the lab 17’s.

I asked many (b&o)people over the time i had them as i’ve had/have so many issues and even seen product/parts lists but never seen a second dsp in the slave.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,065 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipidia:
but never seen a second dsp in the slave.
The setup should tell the truth. Seems to me if only one has a DSP than that particular speaker could be / has to be set as main. 

Epsilon20
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Silver Member

To clarify the question of listening to re-issues. These are NOT digitised version of the originals releases. In my posts you will see I named all the studios that re-issue from ORIGINAL master tapes and create ANALOGUE vinyls. These releases are considered equal and with the new SRX vinyl material being used to again produce ANALOGUE vinyl from ANALOGUE masters the noise floor is lowered.

https://www.musicmattersjazz.com/the-sound-s/45.htm - Have a read for the doubters out thereBig Smile

http://www.bluenote.com/blue-note-presents-the-tone-poet-audiophile-vinyl-reissue-series/

https://www.mofi.com/default.asp

As much as I would love the originals issues they costs$100's - $1000s and theres no guarantee of the condition of the vinyls.

Vinyl on the 50s won't of course keep the analogue sound but thats fine for now, For a pure analogue sound i'll eventually be buying additional passive bookshelf's and a NAIM atom unit or PS AUDIO sprout 100 phono stage  or the newly released NAD M10. All of these are small forms amps with built in phono stages and speaker plugs for passive speakers.

Beovision Eclipse 55 Brass Edition with Oak covers and Brass Orbital stand

Beolab 50s silver & Oak, Beolab 18 Brass with Smoked Oak, Beolab 18 Rose Gold with Maple Covers, Beolab 19 Black.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,661 Posts
Bronze Member

I think you're worrying about stuff that is irrelevant!

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jun 29 2019 6:25 PM

How do these wonderful ANALOG record companies drive the cutting lathes that make the LP master? High probability they are using a digitized cutting master, as that's how it's done these days. But, ignorance is bliss as they say. I can make you a great deal on a CRT based B&W TV set and some buggy whips, totally analog! Wink

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
702 Posts
Silver Member

Puncher:
Sound is a physical phenomena - it is, by it's very nature, anarogue!

Nobody is a arguing against that.

But there is a huge difference in how you can handle a speaker with a digital system vs an analog. Some of differences will manifest itself in audible differences. Miki has very accurately described a few without knowing it. The main difference is the digital systems ability to "know" the future, and thus be able to compensate "ahead" of time, which in part is why you get the tiny 25u or 100us delay in the 50 or the 90. The analog system reacts instantaneously based on laws of physics where as the digital system can create laws of physics on its own!

That is why the sound to you will be somewhat different from what used to hear. The 50 or 90 are without a doubt reproducing the sound information sound more, but if the sound was mixed using non digital speakers, there is a dilemma What is the real thing?

The original request was to experience the analog sound, and I am sorry to say, unless you can disable all the DSP transformations, and ensure the X-overs are implemented as analog filters, the sound will not be that of an analog system. 

It might be perceived as being better and it is for sure more true to the electrical input signal, but it will no longer have some of the specific artifacts that makes up the analog sound.

Simply stating some facts and in no way saying what the better sound is!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,661 Posts
Bronze Member

Speakers are different - analogue or digital is irrelevant.

Ban boring signatures!

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
702 Posts
Silver Member

Jeff:
How do these wonderful ANALOG record companies drive the cutting lathes that make the LP master

I dont know how its done today, but they used to be all mechanical supported by basic analog feedback loops in the electronics, just like any piece of CNC  equipment is today. They will without a doubt be controlled digitally though...

Use the "ignorance is bliss" gently, it cuts both ways!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,661 Posts
Bronze Member

Carry on, Im out

Ban boring signatures!

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,065 Posts
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Jun 30 2019 11:13 AM

BEOVOX141:
Jeff:
How do these wonderful ANALOG record companies drive the cutting lathes that make the LP master
I dont know how its done today, but they used to be all mechanical supported by basic analog feedback loops in the electronics, just like any piece of CNC  equipment is today. They will without a doubt be controlled digitally though...

But still the master was digitalized. So the reissued vinyl has somehow a digitalized origin. So this point/discussion has no meaning what so ever!

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
204 Posts
Bronze Member
I think the best solution here would be the gramophone.
BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
702 Posts
Silver Member

Carolpa:

BEOVOX141:
Jeff:

But still the master was digitalized. So the reissued vinyl has somehow a digitalized origin. So this point/discussion has no meaning what so ever!

Words and terms are flying left and right...

This is what i consider the Master! (Jeff : "cutting lathe")  How does "digitalized" apply here?

Related image

Page 4 of 7 (92 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL