Advice Beolab 90 and Eclipse 65 set up

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Jayman
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Jayman posted on Fri, Jun 14 2019 2:36 AM
Hello all Now that there is a new B&O dealership in Auckland I have taken the plunge and purchased Beolab 90, Eclipse 65 with my existing Beolab 17 as rear speakers. Can I ask if there is a viewing/listening distance you recommend for this set up. My dealer (very helpful) suggests 3.5 metres. I have contacted B&O who did not add much more. Steve from Sounds Heavenly has kindly advised on cabling. Just wondered if there were any tips from existing users. Many thanks Jay

All Replies

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
451 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi, 

identical gear except BL3s instead of 17s.

i would have thought the gear in question has sufficient configurability to do what you want?

My BL90s are 5m apart and I can just about do the equilateral triangulation thing to my sitting position. 

The screen is huge from approx 3.5m away. I would have thought that is close enough and if I could pull back more....I would do.

I toe the BL90s to approx 0.5m either side f the apex. No reason for this except it sounds “better” to me. 

I would suggest you you don’t bother with your dealers opinion. Bother with your own. You seem to have earnt it. Do what you fancy.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
451 Posts
Bronze Member

Forgot to add.......

my personal taste is to kill the Soundbar sound in all modes. I find that the bar is very good - in the absence of the BL90s. 

Music Source mode is BL90s narrow

Video Source mode is BL90s / BL3s in wide mode.

Startup mode is PITA so kill it if you can

Jayman
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Jayman replied on Fri, Jun 14 2019 8:55 AM

I’m digging out the basement for this av room and want to site the floor boxes accurately before they pour the concrete (hide wires). Hence being so anal about the positioning now.

Good tip about viewing distance for Eclipse (3.5m might be short). I’m meeting interior designer next week and will see if we can pull the sofa back. I’ll also go back to dealership and measure my comfortable distance. 

I love stereo for music but quite like the centre for speech on movies. Am I correct in thinking you don’t use soundbar for any listening or have I misunderstood?

kind regards 

Jay

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,571 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Jay,

Welcome to Beoworld!  That is a superb setup, as mentioned above please go for what works for you in your home to get the best from the great sound of these speakers.

If you would like to post a sketch or photo of your room, then we can give you ideas for getting the best from the speaker positioning.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Jayman
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Jayman replied on Fri, Jun 14 2019 11:30 AM

Jayman
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Jayman replied on Fri, Jun 14 2019 11:33 AM

Sorry tried to copy floorplan , didn’t work. Will try again on computer not iPad ASAP.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
451 Posts
Bronze Member

Jayman:
Am I correct in thinking you don’t use soundbar for any listening or have I misunderstood?

You are correct. Soundbar off in all modes.

I find the sound distracting and unnatural compared to the BL90s forcing a phantom centre channel.

Switch the BL90s off and use the Soundbar...it sounds very good in my opinion. Its just the two dont go together for me.

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
130 Posts
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Sun, Jun 16 2019 9:09 PM
That’s just so wrong to suggest. You got it all wrong. Learn to set things up before you give some advise.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

Esax:
That’s just so wrong to suggest. You got it all wrong. Learn to set things up before you give some advise.

Why would that be wrong to suggest? To me it makes perfect sense.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
818 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Jun 16 2019 11:23 PM
To me, it’s critical to ensure the timber of the sound is seamless as it pans around the room. If you have any discontinuity in the sound it tends to stand out. If you have a calibration disk, the sound of white noise should be consistent as it pans the room. If not, you need to make some changes in the sound controls or the speakers.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
130 Posts
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Mon, Jun 17 2019 3:32 PM
BEOVOX141:

Why would that be wrong to suggest? To me it makes perfect sense.

Why does it make sense?

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

Well technically you made a claim that needs to be substantiated...Smile

But never mind Ill go first,- The 90 has no clue about the what the Eclipse speaker is doing (e.g ABL), which makes it impossible for the two of the to work to work in tandem. No look up table will fix that! 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,343 Posts
Bronze Member

BEOVOX141:

The 90 has no clue about the what the Eclipse speaker is doing (e.g ABL), which makes it impossible for the two of the to work to work in tandem.

You mean: ‘they don’t have a clue what a BV7 is doing’ 🤥

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
248 Posts
Bronze Member

so, it appears the real question is whether or not the center array of speakers and black magic of the eclipse is a satisfactory partner to the bl90 flagship speakers in a 5.1 setup and, if so, how the he** do you set it up? surely there is a beoexpert to answer that without the slings and arrows. 

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL