Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Portable sound without a phone or local network?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
155 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin posted on Mon, Jun 10 2019 1:32 AM

I feel somewhat silly asking this, especially as I'm in my 30s and feel that this should seem obvious (new tech) but I was thinking about getting something to take out on the balcony and you'd think the current lineup should be the go to. Then I see that it's all bluetooth speakers which means turn it on, also bring a phone, link them, select something, hit play and then have two devices to take in. And lose music if someone phones you.

Contrast to if I go online and get an old beolit or similar portable system from the 80s/90s. The it's "hit play" and that's really it.

I get that portable bluetooth speakers are popular but there's a lot to be said for physical media. What is the most modern all in one thing that B&O made? Ie not reliant on a subscription service on your network or a phone that you want to leave unharmed battery-wise.

All Replies

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
602 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Jun 10 2019 2:06 AM

I suppose this would be the bs3 or old bs1. The bs3 is more "modern" because it's mono Big Smile

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,035 Posts
Bronze Member

If you think of something to just pop in a cd to, you won’t find anything in the current range.

Go for the old BeoSound 1 - it is sort of portable, but you’ll need a power socket on the balcony.

And - depending on your location - you will have FM radio with that too.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Fansastic
Not Ranked
The Netherlands
272 Posts
Bronze Member
You can use a BS1 from the current line, it uses own Deezer or TuneIn source, only need your phone to select numbers if you prefer. It can be used by one clic play. Also no interference when you are called on your phone. Also you can use a separate remote from the bang olufsen range.

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
72 Posts
Bronze Member
Yep new BS1 if wanting streaming or the BLit 17 for just Bluetooth.

Both cordless.

The BL17 only needs a little interaction from the phone to set up a play list and then your good to go.

Or the BS1 can simply wake up and play radio, streaming etc with a simple tap of the unit.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,607 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Jun 10 2019 1:00 PM
Reading this thread, are you saying the BS1 functions differently than the M5? And the Beolit 17 functions differently than the A1? I would like a speaker I could use without wifi, but have found both my M5 and A1 cumbersome and to use in that manner as the first post here mentions.

Thanks!
PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
72 Posts
Bronze Member
BS1 is battery in addition the the M5 functions?

The A1 and BL17 have a button you can change track etc too?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,035 Posts
Bronze Member

Sorry guys - the BS1 (new) would be fantastic there imo....

.....but since the op clearly asked for ‘

Portable sound without a phone or local network?’

that is not the solution!

It would be much easier to give an advice, if the op had stated WHAT he wants, instead of what he does NOT WANT for his balcony.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
72 Posts
Bronze Member
Agree but it’s amazing how many times people are unaware of the features via the units themselves.

Granted they have to use the phone/stream initially but once all in place it can all be accessed with a quick tap.

If the OP is already aware of these features then yes as previously mentioned and ignore posts......or buy a Bose wave guide Wink
PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
72 Posts
Bronze Member
Plus you can charge phone from BL17 so the phone does not drain.

This was one of the requests Wink
trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
199 Posts
Silver Member
trackbeo replied on Mon, Jun 10 2019 10:33 PM

I understand why you want something B&O, but for portability it's hard to beat an Apple iPod with a SoundMatters foxL...

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
155 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Tue, Jun 11 2019 2:18 AM

Thanks for the response, to answer some points:

• I want something B&O because I know it should last, and I know that it will look special, rather than some I picked up for $50 when I was in a store buying lightbulbs or kitchen roll.
  • I don't want to be reliant on a phone because you're going to be using a good chunk of your phone's battery streaming it all afternoon, then have no battery left if you want to go out that evening. That's happened to me before when I took a phone to the park for a picnic and it was a huge inconvenience, especially in an age when we rely on uber and the wife wants to check in.
  • I don't like being reliant on a network connection because then it is 'trapped' at my house, or to be more precise, within close proximity of where my router is.
Wasn't one of the portable units from 5 years ago able to use SD cards too? The old BS1 is a good idea though, although I might look at getting an older BeoLit (radio/tape) shipped over from Europe. It just seems a shame that the current range is so obsessed with wife+phone, though I guess I'm more old fashioned than the sorts that keep the company afloat these days.

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
155 Posts
Bronze Member

• I want something B&O because I know it should last, and I know that it will look special, rather than some I picked up for $50 when I was in a store buying lightbulbs or kitchen roll.
  • I don't want to be reliant on a phone because you're going to be using a good chunk of your phone's battery streaming it all afternoon, then have no battery left if you want to go out that evening. That's happened to me before when I took a phone to the park for a picnic and it was a huge inconvenience, especially in an age when we rely on uber and the wife wants to check in.
  • I don't like being reliant on a network connection because then it is 'trapped' at my house, or to be more precise, within close proximity of where my router is.
Wasn't one of the portable units from 5 years ago able to use SD cards too? The old BS1 is a good idea though, although I might look at getting an older BeoLit (radio/tape) shipped over from Europe. It just seems a shame that the current range is so obsessed with wife+phone, though I guess I'm more old fashioned than the sorts that keep the company afloat these days.

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
155 Posts
Bronze Member

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,336 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Jun 11 2019 4:27 AM
Calvin:

Wasn't one of the portable units from 5 years ago able to use SD cards too?

Yes, it’s the Beosound 3 (as Stan wrote in the first answer to your initial post), but its top panel may cause you worries sooner or later...

Why not use an iPod / Walkman with a more modern Beoplay/Beosound?
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL