Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beomaster 5 and SSD

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 0 Followers

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
1,035 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx posted on Mon, May 20 2019 6:39 AM

Hi All.

Since I found out how easy it is to install a new harddrive if you have the service tool, I have tried a few discs I had laying around over the weekend.

I tried some 2.5" Toshiba 128gb 5400rpm discs, a Hitachi 5400rpm 250gb, and a Kingston SSDNow 240gb SSD disc.

All the discs I tried worked fine, however the BM5 with SSD disc was much slower in copying 10gb music from network to it, than the rotating discs. Also the MOTS rebuild was for ever in building on the SSD.

The UI was smooth, and the looooong list of radio stations also seemed faster. But It was not a huge difference over the original HDD.

Since the original disc is making noises I dont like, I will be changing the HDD, but I cannot seem to find the MX100 anymore, however I found the MX500, and since I will not be doing any cloning of the discs, I am thinking about giving it a chance.

I am a bit worried though about the slow transfer and MOTS rebuild I experienced with the Kingston SSD.

Anyone has any ideas on why this is a problem, and are you guys experiencing the same with your SSD's ?

I am actually thinking about just putting a new 2.5" 1TB 7200 disc in to ignore the fact that XP embedded does not support SSD that well.

/Weebyx

All Replies

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
275 Posts
Bronze Member
You might be right, I think when I first clicked the restore button I got a message saying that it couldn’t be done because of missing partitions and that I first had to put a OS on it.

I then used the clone system button to use the restore button afterwards.

I cloned from my original BO Hitachi 500GB HDD.

My ripped music is on a 1TB HDD.

Do you think it is possible to copy the music using a HDD-dockingstation over the LAN to the BM5?

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
1,035 Posts
Bronze Member

gerard:
You might be right, I think when I first clicked the restore button I got a message saying that it couldn’t be done because of missing partitions and that I first had to put a OS on it.

Do you think it is possible to copy the music using a HDD-dockingstation over the LAN to the BM5?

I would just use "Clone entire HDD", with only the new HDD attached, make sure the BM is updated to the latest SW, and then copy music via another PC from LAN from the old HDD.

There is a BMShare available when BM5 is booted. You can see login info in the service menu.

/Weebyx

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
632 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Dec 9 2019 10:01 PM

gerard:

I could be mistaken as it has been a couple years since I upgraded to an SSD, but I think I copied my music from my old to new disk by connecting the old disk to the other IDE port within the BM5.  Now, both disks are mounted, and you can do folder copies using windows from the service mode (i.e. when you see windows on the BS5).  This did required a IDE cable. [Edit:  I was mistaken - I just copied via USB - found my old notes...  I must have done this method with a different computer at some point].

Connecting the docking station via USB should also work (assuming you have an available USB port).

The challenge with the LAN approach is it depends having various network drivers available, and compatible between BM5 and dockstation.  Wait, I thought LAN was all industry standard?  Theoretically, but Microsoft seems to have "special sauce" that always gets in my way.  I've always struggled with Windows networking.  Your mileage may vary.

Stan

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
275 Posts
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Mon, Dec 9 2019 10:50 PM
Copying files to the BM5 over LAN is possible once the BeoConnect is installed on the PC. At this point you may access the BM-Share network drive using the Username BM-User with the password setup in the Network settings on BM5.

My concern is to access the old BM5-HDD on my PC .

I thought this should go without problem only by hooking up the HDD to either the USB or SATA from the PC.

Accessing the HDD is possible, I see the 4 Partitions which are mounted with 4 Drive letters, but I’m refused to access the Data drive. This has probably to deal eith the NTFS formating of the HDD and the used Username BM-User and the associated password. I do not know ehere to enter it to access the HDD on my PC.
Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
1,035 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, Dec 10 2019 8:46 AM

gerard:
Copying files to the BM5 over LAN is possible once the BeoConnect is installed on the PC. At this point you may access the BM-Share network drive using the Username BM-User with the password setup in the Network settings on BM5.

My concern is to access the old BM5-HDD on my PC .

I thought this should go without problem only by hooking up the HDD to either the USB or SATA from the PC.

Accessing the HDD is possible, I see the 4 Partitions which are mounted with 4 Drive letters, but I’m refused to access the Data drive. This has probably to deal eith the NTFS formating of the HDD and the used Username BM-User and the associated password. I do not know ehere to enter it to access the HDD on my PC.

Beoconnect is not needed to access the share, I did it without. I had the original HDD in BM5, copied all music to my PC, replaced the HDD->SSD in BM5, did a "complete clone" from service tool, updated SW to latest, and copied the music back to the SSD from PC.

Very few steps, just took some time copying the music back and forth.

/Weebyx

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
275 Posts
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sun, Dec 15 2019 10:23 AM
Yes, thats a better idea.

But if somebody needs to access the Data folder of the HDD hooked up to a PC you have to add ownership for your PC user to the owners list for drive Data.

- right click on drive Data

- properties

- security

- add owner

Info to my SSD Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB:

It works without a problem , perfect!
frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
528 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Mon, Dec 23 2019 1:25 AM

I’d really appreciate getting one of these service tools. I have 4 BM5/BS5 combos, and would be keen to have some security on disk failure. I already have about 5 spare motherboards just in case!

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL