rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 38 Replies | 0 Followers

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Silver Member
Manbearpig posted on Sat, May 18 2019 3:39 PM

Dear members,

I have trouble with my newly acquired Beosystem 3. I have connected it via Masterlink for testing purposes to a Beosound 9000. Works fine. Also a DVD2 is connected. Also works, although not the Beo4 control, but I have already read here on the forum that a Scart only connection apparently is not enough. I'll try to get a HDMI cable. Much better anyway.

My main problem right now is that the internal TV tuner of the Beosystem 3 (digital DVB-C) doesn't seem to find any programs. The Beosystem 3 is connected to an old Beovision Avant via HDMI to Scart converter. But that probably isn't the problem since DVD is working and I do get a picture. The Beosystem just doesn't seem to find any channels. However, the Humax receiver that I used before did.

Any ideas what could be the cause? I haven't found anything in the manual or on the internet so far and am getting quite frustrated.

Greetings,

Kai

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,201 Posts
Bronze Member

Keep on pushing beovox141 ;-))))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Silver Member

Hey Millemissen and Beovox141,

first of all Beovox141 apparently seems to know a lot and has helped me quite a bit in this thread. The Beosystem 3 is a complicated beast and the manual insufficient given its capabilities. I'm almost where I wanted to be with my setup now and that's to quite an extent due to Beovox141's help. Millemissen, you yourself have always been very polite and helpful on various occasions in the past. Both of your contributions to this forum are much appreciated. But I recognize that this is now a very long thread. However, it's more me who is to blame than anybody else because I have a hard time operating the Beosystem 3 in my setup. Beovox141 is just trying to help me out.

As to your questions: I have connected a sub, no center speaker and three pairs of speakers (Beolab 4000s, 5000s and Pentas). All recognized in the menus and I have also defined some speaker profiles and AST is enabled. Essentially, I have done everything that is in the manual but still speaker 1-5 don't seem to work. Too few speakers connected is not the problem. Or is it the center that's missing?

I can switch between sound profiles by running through the on-screen menus, but there has to be an easier way without having to engage the screen. Thats's what I am asking.

There is an older thread, where somebody else had the same issue. However, in that thread, there was no solution to the problem given.

Cheers,

Kai

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
807 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Thu, May 30 2019 12:51 PM
You need to program a center channel if you plan to run a full surround setup, even if you don’t physically have a speaker connected. You should then be able to select speaker 1-5 using your Beo4. You should just be able to call up Speaker in the list and press the number for the configuration you want.

If you are using this for watching videos, you’ll have to default the video default to DPLII Music. That mode still sends center channel audio to the front speakers rather than all routed to your missing center channel speaker.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,201 Posts
Bronze Member

Manbearpig:

But I recognize that this is now a very long thread. However, it's more me who is to blame than anybody else because I have a hard time operating the Beosystem 3 in my setup. 

That should not be a problem - as long as it help you to a useable solution.

Personally I must confess that I find that particular setup a bit odd - and therefore can’t add much here.

BEOVOX141 is very persistent and knows the BeoSystem 3 well - he (and others) will surely be able to help and guide you.

MM

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Silver Member

What's odd about that setup? Just because I am using an older screen? For now, that didn't cause any problems. My current problem principally applies to any Beosystem 3 user. Even if speaker 1-5 is working I have a hard time imagining that it is possible to define all sorts of audio profiles without being comfortably able to switch between them. Switching is possible for me, but it's way too involved having to engage the screen, go to the menu, options, sound profiles and then select the one you wish. There has to be an easier way. Unfortunately, I have so far not figured out how.

Kai

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
631 Posts
Silver Member

I guess you are using AST, and not just the basic configuration. The switching will follows the input/output and I am not aware of any way of doing the switching in a quick way. I have the same issue trying to switch formats for decoding of audio, the B&O assumption is it happens automatically!.

Speaker 1,2,3 should work but that is not what you are after!

Try looking at it this way, AST will allow you to have a different listening position e.g for two displays, and obviously the assumption is if you switch potions (FORMAT 0) the sound image needs to rotate, which then happens automatically. In your case it might be switching between audio and video. Remember the AVANT is fully capable of doing a separate 5.1 speaker setup, which might be an alternate way of achieving what you want?

I tried for a long time to make AST work, but I never really managed to get a satisfactory sonic result, perhaps due to different speaker types. The idea is great, but doesn't really work in the real world.  In the end it was brute force,- another set of speakers..... Perhaps someone with an actual working AST setup could chip in?

Perhaps I should give the AST a revisit later tonight Smile

As you mention, there is a lot of "Easter egg" functionality in the B&O products, sometime it just very, very hard to find!

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Silver Member

Yes. But I don't not seem to understand what the sense of defining audio profiles is when you later can't make use of them - at least not easily and at least not of all of them.

Maybe a Beo 6 helps?

Kai

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,201 Posts
Bronze Member

Manbearpig:

Maybe a Beo 6 helps?

Kai

Exactly...

From the User Guide for the BV7-40/55 about the AST feature:

To enjoy the advantages of this setup, several speakers and a Beo6 remote control are necessary. If you have only a few speakers or a Beo4 remote control, this setup is not recommended and you should choose the setup without Adaptive Sound Technology

MM

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Silver Member

Just wanted to say that Beo5/6 resolves the issue of speaker selection. Apparently, this can only be done with the use of those remotes, but not with any other B&O remote. But the way it can be done with the Beo5/6 is very satisfactory nonetheless. Easy navigation and perfect selection opportunities. Great remotes by the way, now that I have come to use and understand the config tool. Why are they so unpopular? There are several clear advantages.

Cheers,

Kai

Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL