rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 38 Replies | 0 Followers

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
854 Posts
Bronze Member
Manbearpig posted on Sat, May 18 2019 3:39 PM

Dear members,

I have trouble with my newly acquired Beosystem 3. I have connected it via Masterlink for testing purposes to a Beosound 9000. Works fine. Also a DVD2 is connected. Also works, although not the Beo4 control, but I have already read here on the forum that a Scart only connection apparently is not enough. I'll try to get a HDMI cable. Much better anyway.

My main problem right now is that the internal TV tuner of the Beosystem 3 (digital DVB-C) doesn't seem to find any programs. The Beosystem 3 is connected to an old Beovision Avant via HDMI to Scart converter. But that probably isn't the problem since DVD is working and I do get a picture. The Beosystem just doesn't seem to find any channels. However, the Humax receiver that I used before did.

Any ideas what could be the cause? I haven't found anything in the manual or on the internet so far and am getting quite frustrated.

Greetings,

Kai

All Replies

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
854 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks again. Menu - red works as well. Just figured out by chance that menu - 0 0 Go does the same thing.

How can I switch between sound modes by the way?

Picture mute works with AV - Source. If I now could still switch programs with muted picture, that would be quite something. Radio quality is surpisingly good, just like the picture quality.

I'll get the DVD2 problem sorted. Probably, I'll need another cable.

What audio source would you use to feed into the Beosystem 3? Beosystem 7000, Beocenter 9500, or Beosound 9000? I have a feeling that the 1611 converter needed with Beosystem 7000 and Beocenter 9500 has adverse effects on sound quality.

Greetings,

Kai

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
630 Posts
Silver Member

Manbearpig:
How can I switch between sound modes by the way?

LIST menu item SPEAKER 1 to 5. However you cannot select a mode that requires more speakers than indicated in the setup, however the BS3 dosent know if you actually connected what you input on the speaker setting menus, so you can fake the system into accepting all 5 modes. Your AVANT works exactly the same way!

You can switch with the picture muted,- just have to verify my memory stand by on this one. Or did you mean switch source (input)? If you really want to pursue the full functionality of the BS3 I might suggest adding a BL1000 to your collection. The menu system of the BEO4 (LIST in particular) lets be honest,- sucks! And will effectively prevent you from using some of the cool features, it simply to difficult. On the BL1000 nothing is more than two key presses away.

As to the Audio systems, tough one!

The 5500, 6500, 7000 all have the fantastic 2 way remotes, and unfortunately you cannot use these remotes with the BS3 or the Avant, although you can operate them with a BEO4 or BL1000. The two way remotes are almost mandatory since only the most rudimentary information is available on the front panels of these systems. My preference would properly be the BS9000 with the CD as a digital input. As to the quality you are properly right. The input feeding the 1611 is a single ended signal, whereas the ML is nativity differential.

Personally I am running a significant part of audio through the HDMI interface... dont get me started on that one... Smile

PS both the service menu and the customer menu are accessed the same way on both the AVANT and the BS3.

Perhaps you could share some pictures of your setup ?

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
854 Posts
Bronze Member

I didn't mean switch sources. Just channels with picture muted. I do have two Beolink 1000s ;-)

Speaker 1-5 doesn't seem to work for me.

Two way on Beomaster 7000 works even in Option 0 with Software 1.3.

How do you run the Audio through HDMI and what do you mean by single ended signal?

What would be the best way to register the Avant as screen by the way? I have now used non-B&O TV, which, however, is not correct. But all alternatives are not correct either, so...

Thanks so much again,

Kai

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
630 Posts
Silver Member

Manbearpig:
I didn't mean switch sources. Just channels with picture muted.

As I said it does work,- simply operate use arrow up/down or key in the number. I am pretty sure there is a way to change source without "unmuting" the picture as well.

Manbearpig:
Two way on Beomaster 7000 works even in Option 0 with Software 1.3.

Works with what except the system 7000?

Manbearpig:
What would be the best way to register the Avant as screen by the way? I have now used non-B&O TV, which, however, is not correct. But all alternatives are not correct either, so...

Doesn't really matter, this is for the BV4/12 /BS3 combo.

Manbearpig:
what do you mean by single ended signal?

All the signals running through the DIN connectors are single ended (including PL!), all the signals share the same return path (GND), a differential signal has a positive an a negative signal, any noise being injected into the pair will effectively be canceled out, pure math really. This is why the masterlink can run for 100s of meters,- its differential!

Manbearpig:
How do you run the Audio through HDMI

Apart from my B&O "sources" everything else comes from my NAS, each TV has a small mediabox (Old Q180 Lenovos mostly) connected through HDMI. Extremly flexible and it does all the things the B&O systems cant! So whenever technology changes I just update a bit of software. This actually allows me to handle every conceivable audio format out there, video as well including most of the 4k flavours. 

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
854 Posts
Bronze Member

Arrows and keys didn't work for me with picture muted. Will try again, though.

The DVD2 meanwhile also works with connections via HDMI and Scart.

I'm getting closer and closer. Solution so far seems much better than just using an external DVB-C tuner.

Is there a way to still use the internal video in the Avant? I mean to get the sound to the speaker connected to the Beosystem 3?

Can I somehow use the Avant speakers as center speaker?

Cheers,

Kai

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
630 Posts
Silver Member

Manbearpig:
The DVD2 meanwhile also works with connections via HDMI and Scart.

Great,- then I know what to do when I get my hand on one of those!

Manbearpig:
Is there a way to still use the internal video in the Avant? I mean to get the sound to the speaker connected to the Beosystem 3?

If they are not to far apart, you could simply do a SCART connection to the BS3 The signal should be present on the decoder SCART . Or go all in on retro and use the RF modulator in the AVANT (video link) and then use the analog tuner in the BS3 to tune in... I does require a coax RF connection though.

Manbearpig:
Can I somehow use the Avant speakers as center speaker?

Yes, provided you have set up the speakers in the AVANT to show more than internal speakers. SOUND 3 on the BL1000 as an example would turn the internal speakers into a dedicated center channel. On that note: If you do, try closing your eyes and slowly adjust the stand, you will be able to hear exactly when the TV is perpendicular to you position. This the due to the two speakers in the AVANT. There is only on place in space where the phase is correct. That is why a true centre should be ONE speaker only.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
854 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks again. Concerning the last point: but then I need a powerlink connection between Avant and Beosystem three, don't I?

I could probably also try and connect the Avant's second scart to the DVD2 rather than the Beosystem 3. Would probably be the better solution.

Cheers,

Kai

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
630 Posts
Silver Member

Manbearpig:

Thanks again. Concerning the last point: but then I need a powerlink connection between Avant and Beosystem three, don't I?

I could probably also try and connect the Avant's second scart to the DVD2 rather than the Beosystem 3. Would probably be the better solution.

Sorry I still get confused on this particular setup, are your speakers centered around the AVANT? (picture ?)

And do you want to use the speakers in the AVANT as centre for the input provided by the BS3?

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
854 Posts
Bronze Member

Speakers all connected to Beosystem 3. Everything else doesn't make any sense. That's why I'm asking whether I can still include the Avant speakers as center in my setup.

As for the second part: yes. Avant as center speakers for input by Beosystem 3 - all other speakers directly connected to the Beosystem.

Cheers, Kai

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
630 Posts
Silver Member

I think I get it...  think! Smile

With a bit of cable fetish yes,- you just need to get the Centre PL output hooked up to the audio pins in the SCART connector from your HDMI to SCART CONVERTER. Sacrifice a PL cable and jerry rig it into the SCART connector of the cable! Pin 2,4 and 6.

One caveat though: you need to control the volue on both the BS3 and the AVANT. Obvioulsy to can resolve this by going max volume on the AVANT but that would expose the the shortcomings of a SCART/CRT combo,- the buzzing!   

Image result for scart connections

Your basic problem is the audio isn't embedded in the HDMI signal since your BS has the DVI output. 

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
854 Posts
Bronze Member

Double post

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
854 Posts
Bronze Member

Hm, that sounds complicated. Use of SPDIF is not possible? I mean, the Avant does have corresponding inputs. Probably something like a powerlink to SPDIF cable could work, don't you think? Kai

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
630 Posts
Silver Member

Manbearpig:
Hm, that sounds complicated. Use of SPDIF is not possible? I mean, the Avant does have corresponding inputs. Probably something like a powerlink to SPDIF cable could work, don't you think? Kai

Its not,-  its a simple case of "strip some wires", usually the SCART connector has plenty of room to simply twist the wires around the pins, no soldering required. You might even be able to find a SCART break out box or in your case "break in" somewhere Big Smile

Image result for scart breakout box

You have no digital sound output!

The ONLY Beosystem or Beovision with a digital sound output are ironically based on the Beosystem 3 type 77xx they have audio embedded in the HDMI output, you have a 9xxx type... The digital input on the AVANT is tricky since it changed along the way to support DTS, so even if you do a sting of converters to get a digital signal from the PL output, it still might not work, depending on the actual software in your AVANT.

Can you solder? There is another more intrusive way, but it would be the correct one? (Patching directly into the power amps, Very easy!)

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
854 Posts
Bronze Member

That's very good information. Thank you!

I'll approach another issue first. I still can't seem to change between pre-defined speaker-settings. The speaker command doesn't work. The only way I can switch is by entering the menu, going to options, etc. But that's quite a procedure if I just want to engage a different pair of speakers. There has to be a better solution, but the manual is silent about that. It just makes reference to the speaker command, which doesn't do anything in my case apparently.

Cheers,

Kai

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
630 Posts
Silver Member

You need to have enough speakers to activate a specific mode! I.e modes 4 and 5 are not available if no surround speakers have been assigned.

Did you assign a centre? is the AST enabled in the sound menu,- last item? The SOUND button works the same way as SPEAKER on the BL1000 try that.

Its a lot easier to help you if you support you question with a specific example, I am not entirely sure I know what you are trying to achieve. I does sound a bit like something different form the  what the speaker modes can do?

Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL