Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Moving away from BeoSound 5

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 3 Followers

jhamers
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member
jhamers posted on Fri, Apr 26 2019 4:42 PM

Hi, 

Our setup at home is that we have BeoSound/Beomaster 5 as 'master' and 7 rooms with BeoLink active/passive.

Since the demise of the last option to use spotify on the beomaster, this nice system turned out to be the biggest disappointment in my life and now basically is just a very expensive internet radio streaming device. So I complained to my original dealer and he told me to come in to talk about the BeoSound Core.

Now, I don't understand if adding one BeoSound Core will revive my entire system or that i'm supposed to add a BeoSound core to each of the existing 'touchpoints' ?

Does anybody have any experience with that?

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,303 Posts
Bronze Member

@beojeff

I waited a long time for such a device to come, before buying the pretty converter (preused).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,896 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

@beojeff

I waited a long time for such a device to come, before buying the pretty converter (preused).

MM

Indeed. Same here. I'm always afraid of scratching the beautiful surface when placing it in a cabinet. Perhaps this device DESERVES to be wall-mounted to display the gorgeous brushed aluminum. Brushed aluminum. So very B&O.

jhamers
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

This is quickly becoming the most useful series of answers I've ever gotten :-)

So one more questions. The 1611 Converter idea seems to get a lot of love, but why would it be better than hooking up that UFO external sound card directly to the beomaster and connect the chromecast device to that?

Would the sound quality be worse?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,303 Posts
Bronze Member

jhamers:

So one more questions. The 1611 Converter idea seems to get a lot of love, but why would it be better than hooking up that UFO external sound card directly to the beomaster and connect the chromecast device to that?

Would the sound quality be worse?

Some don’t like (the thought of having) the relatively cheap USB soundcard in the mix.

I would not mind - what I have heard is fine.

The biggest difference is that you need the command A.Aux to open up the port from your linkroom devices.

As I wrote earlier - it depends on the sw version of the Actives/Passives, whether they can manage this.

(This could be tested, but it is most likely that the Actives/Passives have an older sw version, if the installation ist old).

One benefit from using the Behringer is, that you could have an extra device connected there - it has a line in connection (depending on the version).

With the 1611-option you must use a video command to open the port (frrom the linkrooms) e.g. TV....which all versions can.

There is one user case, where the 1611 would be better - if you want to use the BS5 for e.g. radio listening, you could at the same time play through the 1611 to the linkrooms. This would not work with adding the Behringer USB to the BM5.

Hpoe this helps.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,303 Posts
Bronze Member

jhamers:

Don’t forget, many dealers don’t know much about these things - and of course the primarily want to sell the newer stuff.

On Beoworld there are many ‘old guys’, who have experienced the BeoLink evolution.....even in small details.

MM

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
935 Posts
Bronze Member

beojeff:

I might add that the NL/ML converter was really nicer than it really NEEDED to be -- in terms of materials and aesthetics. It has this huge slab of beautiful brushed aluminum (it's the same casing as the BLGW) that feels like it should be showcased on the wall. Yet, most of us are likely to hide it away in a cabinet and never see the beauty of it. Perhaps a smaller, just plastic device could have been manufactured at a better price.

The large slab of aluminium has a technical as well as an aesthetic function, in that it is designed to act as a heatsink to some of the internal components. My understanding is that the enclosure was originally designed for an audio product that never made it to market, so the design was re-utilised for the NL/ML converter and BLGW - assuming this is true, this would explain the extravagant design for what are normally hidden away products.

jhamers
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

The biggest difference is that you need the command A.Aux to open up the port from your linkroom devices.

As I wrote earlier - it depends on the sw version of the Actives/Passives, whether they can manage this.

(This could be tested, but it is most likely that the Actives/Passives have an older sw version, if the installation ist old).

That's probably correct, my previous attemt to get spotify working was to run the last supported XP client for spotify on the beomaster 5 for which I had to switch to A.AUX. This only worked directly from the beosound 5 after which i could activate the link rooms, but I could not switch to A.AUX directly from the link rooms.

jhamers
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

So I finally got the quote from my dealer and let's say it's enough to make me consider other options.

I finally found a 1611 converter online, a 3.5mm to din cable, hooked everything up to the audio jack of my samsung, went into one of the link rooms, selected 'TV' and.... nothing Unsure

Any quick troubleshooting tips? :-)

lechatsurletoit
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

are you sure sound is coming out of your tv? Did you try to put the volume on at max on the tv?

Did you plug the 1611 in the masterlink before plugging in the power?

cheers

jhamers
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi, Thanks for those pointers, I plugged everything in in the order described and then got indeed music coming through, but at quite a lower volume than all the other sources. I'll try today to hookup my chromecast audio and see how that goes.

lechatsurletoit
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member

Great to hear this. On my chromecast audio, the volume is a couple of notches below the beomaster 5.

By the way, I have created a group between a chromecast video and my chromecast audio and can play both on TV and on B&O system at the same time, you can correct the delay if necessary in the google app.

I'm waiting for the functionality to come on my android TVs so I can create a group between the TVs and the audio and play music or watch a video on all TVs (3 of them)  and B&O system at the same time.

Not a beosound core but have other functions ;)

jhamers
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

It actually worked better with the chrome cast. The audio level is a lot closer to the rest of the sources.

70e well spent! Compared to the 3000 of the offer of the B&O guys.

Page 3 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL