Beolab 50

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 166 Replies | 2 Followers

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,115 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw posted on Thu, Apr 18 2019 5:35 PM
I am about ready to upgrade my 20s to 50s. Unfortunately I do not have a dealer near enough to me to listen before buying. I have heard the 90s. I know the 50s will not perform as the 90s. But I did want to ask anybody who is familiar with both, how does the imaging of the 50s compare to that of the 90s?

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,115 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Razlaw replied on Fri, May 17 2019 1:52 PM
Verified by Dion
Mikipidia:

I’ll take a picture for you next tuesday when iam at my dealer again. He has them all it seems. So i’ll ask him if we can play around with the covers New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Thanks!

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

All Replies

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,536 Posts
Bronze Member

Seethru... i haven't seen that combo before on the BL50.  It looks fantastic.  

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,655 Posts
Gold Member
I guess they didn’t have the cables yet so it should be tomorrow that i can take a picture for you razlaw, sorry about the delay. If it makes you feel any better i’ve been without functioning speaker since thursdayHuh?

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
702 Posts
Silver Member

Wouw!

I would NEVER had guessed this was the same room as the first picture. Its such a thrill when someone strays from the ordinary, and use bold colors!

A life less ordinary as the old B&O add once said. Absolutely brilliant Max! 

Is that a Beocom 6000 I spot on the coffee table. Smile

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,115 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, May 21 2019 6:32 PM
Mikipidia:

I guess they didn’t have the cables yet so it should be tomorrow that i can take a picture for you razlaw, sorry about the delay. If it makes you feel any better i’ve been without functioning speaker since thursday New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Thsnk you for the update......and thank you so much for taking the time to get a picture.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
615 Posts
Bronze Member

@MaxH: ...and that Damien Hirst! <3 OMG wonderful I envy you so much. :)

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,115 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, May 22 2019 1:43 PM
Another question about 50s.....My current system is BV7-55 with 20s and 12-3s. Any opinions which would be the better upgrade? Replace the 20s with 50s, or replace the BV7 with a 65 inch Eclipse? Price is not a factor as due to trade in on the 50s, and no trade in on the Eclipse, as well as some new furniture to go with the Eclipse, the price is about the same for either option. Thanks!

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
429 Posts
Bronze Member

Probably you already have a pretty strong feeling one way or the other, and this question is just to see if anybody will have points you haven't thought of yet.  So here's a bunch of random thoughts:

One of the B&O Pod(cast) People said (in episode 56?/57/??) that switching TVs actually improved the sound of his separate speakers -- presumably due to a new decoding chip?  You might want to ask the dealer if they have similar experience.  My feeling, having seen and listened only briefly, would be: BeoLab 20's are decent -- so the biggest difference between them and the 50's will be if you now want an on-axis "sweet spot" (primary listening position) that you will use for listening to music.  (Yes, yes, there are *all kinds* of improvements -- but will they change your life, if you principally use speakers for soundtracks on your TV?). The difference between a backlit LCD screen (even with zones like the 7-55) versus an OLED screen is like night and day because of the black levels.  But if you aren't one of those people who watch movies at night in a darkened room, you may not care.  Again with the off-axis bit, the opposite of the speakers: If you are a casual TV watcher in a living room and not directly in front of the screen, the OLED will be a huge improvement over the grey/washed-out colors of the LCD you get from the side.  Don't forget you have to buy yourself a CD/DVD player for the Eclipse too; in 5.1 the 7-55 built-in unit was just fine of course.  One other thing I have no personal experience with: Is the slender center channel (i.e. the TV speaker) on the Eclipse good enough to best the box on your 7-55?  Speaker cubic volume does matter, but maybe with modern DSP correction it doesn't?  (What made me think of this?  The speaker in my BeoVision 10 is just awful by comparison to either choice!)

As I said, randomness, but maybe something will stick...

MaxH
Not Ranked
59 Posts
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Wed, May 22 2019 5:10 PM

Many thanks for the kind words and it's a Beolit 700 Smile

MaxH
Not Ranked
59 Posts
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Wed, May 22 2019 5:18 PM

@AnalogPlanet ... well spotted  Don't Tell! emoticon (Hand gesture emoticons)Smile

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
702 Posts
Silver Member

I would be very careful describing the difference between the Eclipse and the BV7-55 as night and day, that is simply incorrect.

Its picture is better but not to that degree.

The speakers in the Eclipse is a one shoe fits all concept,- whereas the BV7 is flexible. And it does come with a BlueRay player and all the Cinema functionality, in this department the Eclipse draws a blank!

The Eclipse has WISA, except it wont really work with BL50 or 90.

Properly more like noon and 2pm!

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,115 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, May 22 2019 6:46 PM
trackbeo:

Probably you already have a pretty strong feeling one way or the other, and this question is just to see if anybody will have points you haven't thought of yet. So here's a bunch of random thoughts:

One of the B&O Pod(cast) People said (in episode 56?/57/??) that switching TVs actually improved the sound of his separate speakers -- presumably due to a new decoding chip? You might want to ask the dealer if they have similar experience. My feeling, having seen and listened only briefly, would be: BeoLab 20's are decent -- so the biggest difference between them and the 50's will be if you now want an on-axis "sweet spot" (primary listening position) that you will use for listening to music. (Yes, yes, there are *all kinds* of improvements -- but will they change your life, if you principally use speakers for soundtracks on your TV?). The difference between a backlit LCD screen (even with zones like the 7-55) versus an OLED screen is like night and day because of the black levels. But if you aren't one of those people who watch movies at night in a darkened room, you may not care. Again with the off-axis bit, the opposite of the speakers: If you are a casual TV watcher in a living room and not directly in front of the screen, the OLED will be a huge improvement over the grey/washed-out colors of the LCD you get from the side. Don't forget you have to buy yourself a CD/DVD player for the Eclipse too; in 5.1 the 7-55 built-in unit was just fine of course. One other thing I have no personal experience with: Is the slender center channel (i.e. the TV speaker) on the Eclipse good enough to best the box on your 7-55? Speaker cubic volume does matter, but maybe with modern DSP correction it doesn't? (What made me think of this? The speaker in my BeoVision 10 is just awful by comparison to either choice!)

As I said, randomness, but maybe something will stick...

Thank you so much for your comments. Some very good points.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,115 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, May 22 2019 6:48 PM
BEOVOX141:

I would be very careful describing the difference between the Eclipse and the BV7-55 as night and day, that is simply incorrect.

Its picture is better but not to that degree.

The speakers in the Eclipse is a one shoe fits all concept,- whereas the BV7 is flexible. And it does come with a BlueRay player and all the Cinema functionality, in this department the Eclipse draws a blank!

The Eclipse has WISA, except it wont really work with BL50 or 90.

Properly more like noon and 2pm!

Thank you for the comments. My BV7 does not have a BlueRay player so I would not be losing that feature with an Eclipse. I would lose Master Link functionality with my BS5 and BS3000.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
702 Posts
Silver Member

Razlaw:
Thank you for the comments. My BV7 does not have a BlueRay player so I would not be losing that feature with an Eclipse. I would lose Master Link functionality with my BS5 and BS3000.

Get a LG C8 or C7 OLED TV place it next to the BV7 and do your own comparison, Its the only way to make a personal judgement call!

If the OLED impresses you THEN you replace the BV7 with the Eclipse.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,655 Posts
Gold Member

Special thanks to B&O ter Horst in Utrecht for having me take all these pictures. Great dealer, go buy stuff there Big Smile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,115 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, May 23 2019 6:58 PM
Wow! Great pictures! Thank you so much!

What is the next to last picture of? Looks like fabric?

Page 7 of 12 (167 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL