Beolab 50

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 150 Replies | 2 Followers

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,676 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw posted on Thu, Apr 18 2019 5:35 PM
I am about ready to upgrade my 20s to 50s. Unfortunately I do not have a dealer near enough to me to listen before buying. I have heard the 90s. I know the 50s will not perform as the 90s. But I did want to ask anybody who is familiar with both, how does the imaging of the 50s compare to that of the 90s?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,676 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Razlaw replied on Fri, May 17 2019 1:52 PM
Verified by Dion
Mikipidia:

I’ll take a picture for you next tuesday when iam at my dealer again. He has them all it seems. So i’ll ask him if we can play around with the covers New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Thanks!

All Replies

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
830 Posts
Gold Member
I do agree with puncher, you have to want them for you! And for the kind of money you’re willing to spend, what’s a 2-300 dollar plane ticket(or drive) to listen to them in the flesh? I would highly suggest that you do that and possibly wait and get a new bv first. But in the end it’s up to you and if you use them mainly for music(as in 90-10 split) with a core i can see why the bv can wait. I’ll get back to you soon once my new place is all wired up again. Smile

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,676 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 3:42 AM
Mikipidia:

I do agree with puncher, you have to want them for you! And for the kind of money you’re willing to spend, what’s a 2-300 dollar plane ticket(or drive) to listen to them in the flesh? I would highly suggest that you do that and possibly wait and get a new bv first. But in the end it’s up to you and if you use them mainly for music(as in 90-10 split) with a core i can see why the bv can wait. I’ll get back to you soon once my new place is all wired up again. New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Mikipidia:

I do agree with puncher, you have to want them for you! And for the kind of money you’re willing to spend, what’s a 2-300 dollar plane ticket(or drive) to listen to them in the flesh? I would highly suggest that you do that and possibly wait and get a new bv first. But in the end it’s up to you and if you use them mainly for music(as in 90-10 split) with a core i can see why the bv can wait. I’ll get back to you soon once my new place is all wired up again. New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

I may make a trip to listen to them. However, also as puncher asserted, hearing them in my room with my equipment is the only way to really know how they will sound in my home. That quite simply is not possible. Thus I have two options to help me decide, opinions of others, and listening to them in an environment different than my own. The question I asked here, that you answered in the affirmative, was asked for a very specific reason. If you had answered in the negative, then I would have known there was no sense in considering the speakers further or traveling to hear them. But as you answered in the affirmative, they are speakers I am still considering. Everybody makes decisions differently. I like to have as much information as possible. To that end, you knowledge and opinions of the speakers is very much appreciated. Just as many people, including me, read reviews in magazines or online of cars, speakers, etc before purchasing, I also appreciate learning from those such as you who own a pair. So thank you again!
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,800 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 11:08 AM

Jeff:

Puncher:

I would've thought a more relevant question was how they compared to the 20s!

They must be better, they're more expensive!

For me, that doesn't always ring true with B&O. I owned the BL5s and they were superb at first. Out of the box. After a few months I understood you could calibrate them and then stupidly calibrated them for my room with wooden floors and rickety old sash windows and they were never the same again. Was like someone removed the bass. Completely different sound. Much more mid-range. And I couldn't get the original sound back. Annoyed me so much. After a year I sold them.

I wasn't overly impressed with the BL9s either. I preferred the BL3s + BL19 sub. To this day, I'm still using BL3s and sub with my BV12.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,676 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 12:57 PM
moxxey:

For me, that doesn't always ring true with B&O. I owned the BL5s and they were superb at first. Out of the box. After a few months I understood you could calibrate them and then stupidly calibrated them for my room with wooden floors and rickety old sash windows and they were never the same again. Was like someone removed the bass. Completely different sound. Much more mid-range. And I couldn't get the original sound back. Annoyed me so much. After a year I sold them.

I wasn't overly impressed with the BL9s either. I preferred the BL3s + BL19 sub. To this day, I'm still using BL3s and sub with my BV12.

I agree with you. I had a pair of 5s in my home for several weeks deciding whether to buy or not. I liked them in the store very much. But once they were at my house they sounded no better than the 9s I had in that particular room. Interestingly, the 1s I previously had in that room sounded immensely better when moved to another room in my home.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,800 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 4:59 PM

Razlaw:

I agree with you. I had a pair of 5s in my home for several weeks deciding whether to buy or not. I liked them in the store very much. But once they were at my house they sounded no better than the 9s I had in that particular room. Interestingly, the 1s I previously had in that room sounded immensely better when moved to another room in my home.

I had a friend come over to listen to the 5s and wanted to impress. Decided to show him the calibration (I'd just learned it was possible and it was the first calibration) and then played a track or two and he was left disappointed and me confused by the audio. I remember insisting it was way better before the calibration!

Don't get me wrong, the 5s are amazing, but like you say they have to be in the right room/location.

The 3s have always been my favourite, primarily as you have a very rounded sound (with a sub) in a reasonably small room.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,460 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 5:42 PM

This whole thing highlights a serious problem with B&O. Razlaw's nearest dealer is over 1000 miles away. The nearest dealer to me is over 1600 miles away. And they are selling increasingly expensive items, things that the average person will not consider unless they can lay eyes and ears on them in person. Most people who aren't loyalists to B&O's brand and who don't know much about B&O are not going to rely on other people's opinions of the items in question, whether those come from a magazine review (almost never occurs for B&O) or people's online opinions here.

This essentially means B&O has no presence in the US market, outside of internet order Play type items, things that you might find at Best Buy or such, maybe. I often get the impression that B&O would like to just abandon the US market, but can't quite force themselves to do it, so they are letting it die of neglect.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
107 Posts
Bronze Member
Eclipse with BL18&19 would be my advice on this set up. And would Still have money to spare
poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
233 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:

This whole thing highlights a serious problem with B&O. Razlaw's nearest dealer is over 1000 miles away. The nearest dealer to me is over 1600 miles away. And they are selling increasingly expensive items, things that the average person will not consider unless they can lay eyes and ears on them in person. Most people who aren't loyalists to B&O's brand and who don't know much about B&O are not going to rely on other people's opinions of the items in question, whether those come from a magazine review (almost never occurs for B&O) or people's online opinions here.

This essentially means B&O has no presence in the US market, outside of internet order Play type items, things that you might find at Best Buy or such, maybe. I often get the impression that B&O would like to just abandon the US market, but can't quite force themselves to do it, so they are letting it die of neglect.

Perhaps the Color Team will venture to North America to explore the vast wasteland in search of marketing ideas. 

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,676 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 8:43 PM
PaulGiles:

Eclipse with BL18&19 would be my advice on this set up. And would Still have money to spare

Why would I want to downgrade from 20s to 18s?
Esax
Top 500 Contributor
125 Posts
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 8:58 PM
Razlaw:

Why would I want to downgrade from 20s to 18s?

You get what you pay for. Not always true but when it’s b&o that’s true. He who say’s otherwise don’t know what he is talking about.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
830 Posts
Gold Member
From personally owning them, i love my 18’s and are probably my favourite speakers to own but even with a bl19 they have noting on the 50’s in terms of sound. Even if you had two 19’s with it it still not there, not even close. It’s a great setup, no doubt, but it’s on the same level.

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
125 Posts
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 9:30 PM
Razlaw:

No. My question has to do with the imaging attainable given the technology that only the 50s and 90s have. I will rephrase it this way, to those who have 50s, is figure 4.4 on page 12 of the Beolab 50 Technical Sound Guide and accurate depiction of what will be heard when listening to the 50s.

Thank you in advance for any opinions on it.

I got the all but the depth. Probebly because I got the 7-55 on floorstand with beolab 10. And all in the wrong lengthwise of the room.

A good place to learn more of imaging and hifidelity is ”ask paul” on youtube from ps audio.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
125 Posts
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 9:39 PM
Razlaw:

No. My question has to do with the imaging attainable given the technology that only the 50s and 90s have. I will rephrase it this way, to those who have 50s, is figure 4.4 on page 12 of the Beolab 50 Technical Sound Guide and accurate depiction of what will be heard when listening to the 50s.

Thank you in advance for any opinions on it.

I got all but the depth. Probably due to the fact that my bv 7-55 on the floor stand whit bl 10 in between. And that everything is on the long side of the room. A great place to learn more about rooms and location is by Paul Mcgowan from ps audio, ask paul on youtube.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,676 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 9:58 PM
Deleted
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,676 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 10:27 PM
Esax:

I got all but the depth. Probably due to the fact that my bv 7-55 on the floor stand whit bl 10 in between. And that everything is on the long side of the room. A great place to learn more about rooms and location is by Paul Mcgowan from ps audio, ask paul on youtube. Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Thanks! Much appreciated!
Page 3 of 11 (151 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL